Will The Warranty Cover Accidental Damage?

Will Microsoft fix your device if you have accidental damage on it that was done because of a defect in the device, for example, let's say that the device was smoking but was in your hand which caused you to drop it, will the standard warranty still cover the device?

The warranty should cover it because it was defective before you accidentally dropped it.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you can prove that it was smoking, and that it was smoking because of a defect, then yes. But good luck proving that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

its going to be hard unless there is a known issue with the product that would cause it to smoke

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

3 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

its going to be hard unless there is a known issue with the product that would cause it to smoke

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If you can prove that it was smoking, and that it was smoking because of a defect, then yes. But good luck proving that. 

Can you say something like the device overheated which caused you to drop it?

1 minute ago, z123killer said:

Can you say something like the device overheated which caused you to drop it?

Just try saying it was smoking? Have the drop cause major visual damage? If not there probs won't know. 

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Just try saying it was smoking? Have the drop cause major visual damage? If not there probs won't know. 

The drop caused a crack in the corner of the screen.

i highly doubt it, b/c they will say u caused damage to it, but always worth a shot, people say insurance is not worth it, i always insure almost every product over 100.00 usually through squaretrade

My PCPartPicker - 1st Build

3 minutes ago, z123killer said:

The drop caused a crack in the corner of the screen.

Just try messaging them for RMA and see if there will replace it, you will never really know until you ask them.  

Magical Pineapples

19 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

This^^^

And to claim "I dropped it because it was smoking" would require a lawsuit with evidence of burns to your hand which caused the drop.

And the lawsuit would cost more than 10 new laptops, so.....up to you...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

17 minutes ago, GBELILREESE said:

Don't tell them you dropped it. 

15 minutes ago, stationvsbox said:

duh lmao

There is a crack on one of the corners

6 minutes ago, z123killer said:

There is a crack on one of the corners

(Not joking anymore) 

Don't tell them you dropped it that always makes the warranty no longer good. Stick with the smoke story. And make something else up to explain the crack if the crack is really noticeable. 

If it's a small crack don't tell them they probably may not notice it. 

Good luck man. 

10 minutes ago, GBELILREESE said:

(Not joking anymore) 

Don't tell them you dropped it that always makes the warranty no longer good. Stick with the smoke story. And make something else up to explain the crack if the crack is really noticeable. 

If it's a small crack don't tell them they probably may not notice it. 

Good luck man. 

But the device is functional so do you think they would believe the smoke story? And also the crack is really noticeable so what could I say to explain why it cracked?

5 minutes ago, z123killer said:

But the device is functional so do you think they would believe the smoke story? And also the crack is really noticeable so what could I say to explain why it cracked?

If the device really did smoke up normally parts located inside the device are burnt and there could be damage marks left over when they open it up they'll see it. As for the crack I'm not really sure what you could say.  

11 minutes ago, GBELILREESE said:

If the device really did smoke up normally parts located inside the device are burnt and there could be damage marks left over when they open it up they'll see it. As for the crack I'm not really sure what you could say.  

Yeah but the device didn't really smoke up haha.

20 minutes ago, z123killer said:

lol

What's the device and what company did you buy it from? 

25 minutes ago, GBELILREESE said:

lol

What's the device and what company did you buy it from? 

Surface Pro 4, And I won it in a giveaway.

Just now, z123killer said:

Surface Pro 4, And I won it in a giveaway.

Well I don't think you can RMA it. I'm not sure man sorry. 

22 hours ago, GBELILREESE said:

Well I don't think you can RMA it. I'm not sure man sorry. 

Lucky and if U do take a shot a RMA, tell them it started to smoke and THEN it cracked. Don't tell them if was in your hands unless you're an amputee or something. 

On 10/3/2016 at 9:31 PM, z123killer said:

Yeah but the device didn't really smoke up haha.

Yet you dropped it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, stationvsbox said:

Lucky and if U do take a shot a RMA, tell them it started to smoke and THEN it cracked. Don't tell them if was in your hands unless you're an amputee or something. 

Ok, but wouldn't they check it and see that it did not smoke? And also they would say how did it crack, how should I reply to that?

7 hours ago, z123killer said:

Ok, but wouldn't they check it and see that it did not smoke? And also they would say how did it crack, how should I reply to that?

So to be clear here, you said it smoked and that's why you dropped it....but it didn't actually smoke. So basically you're trying to cheat Microsoft by trying to convince them you dropping the device was their fault (even though it was entirely yours)....

Accept responsibility for your own actions and don't make it Microsoft's problems. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler