Can someone explain the difference between these fields of tech?

IMPERIUS

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of picking out my university and I'm a bit confused about all the different tech fields.

So what is the difference between: electrotechnics, mechanical engineering,informatics, computer engineering? And what does the average worker in each field do in their workday? What are their tasks?

Thanks

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

[This is based off of my university's system]

As far as I understand, electrotechnics is either some degree of electrical engineering (electrician work) or work with things like semiconductors a lot more. This is my best guess, as my university doesn't have electrotechnics, but has electrical engineering.

Mechanical is a little bit more "tradiitional engineering", and not really computer focused.

Informatics at my university deals a lot with network and database stuff, and has off shoots into game design and cyber security fields. So think network security or a systems admin. Also, AI work, at least at my Uni.

Computer Engineering can either be Software Engineering or Computer Systems Engineering (me!). Software engineering is very programming focused. So if you like to code or program computers, go with that. Systems engineering is focused more on the whole of the computer, and examines things like hardware as well computer architecture. Another big off shoot of Systems is Integrated and micro computing, so think the chips that power things like alarm systems.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions!

Mechanical/computer engineering, are engineering branches, and are probabbly going to be based around how to design and create things to solve problems, any engineering branch will require a lot of math, and science.

1 minute ago, Inferius said:

electrical engineering (electrician work)

Electrical engineers are not electricians at all, the enigneers design the circuits, and the electricians just repair stuff.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

3 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Mechanical/computer engineering, are engineering branches, and are probabbly going to be based around how to design and create things to solve problems, any engineering branch will require a lot of math, and science.

Electrical engineers are not electricians at all, the enigneers design the circuits, and the electricians just repair stuff.

The way I described is how it's taught at my Uni, others may be different. 

4 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Or sorry for the double quote, I was fairly unclear in my explanation. You are absolutely correct, I was trying to convey that they go into circuit work, but also electricians have come out of he program at my university also. Sorry.

Earnings and all the other info on tasks is had by the government, they put out the statistics and info.

I forget the name of it off hand.

10 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Earnings and all the other info on tasks is had by the government, they put out the statistics and info.

I forget the name of it off hand.

*1/3rds of earnings are had by the government, meaning they get money from you working.

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

9 minutes ago, David1521 said:

*1/3rds of earnings are had by the government, meaning they get money from you working.

Depends on the country, but no way to avoid it. It is called taxes, used to fund things like roads, state run schools, police, and firefighters, as well as judges, politicians, and the armed forces.

If you don't like it then ... too bad, every country that has some form of government will need money to run said government and will have some sort of tax.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

31 minutes ago, Inferius said:

[This is based off of my university's system]

As far as I understand, electrotechnics is either some degree of electrical engineering (electrician work) or work with things like semiconductors a lot more. This is my best guess, as my university doesn't have electrotechnics, but has electrical engineering.

Mechanical is a little bit more "tradiitional engineering", and not really computer focused.

Informatics at my university deals a lot with network and database stuff, and has off shoots into game design and cyber security fields. So think network security or a systems admin. Also, AI work, at least at my Uni.

Computer Engineering can either be Software Engineering or Computer Systems Engineering (me!). Software engineering is very programming focused. So if you like to code or program computers, go with that. Systems engineering is focused more on the whole of the computer, and examines things like hardware as well computer architecture. Another big off shoot of Systems is Integrated and micro computing, so think the chips that power things like alarm systems.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions!

Could you describe a bit more about Computer Systems Engineering - what do you study, how do the jobs look etc?

6 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

Could you describe a bit more about Computer Systems Engineering - what do you study, how do the jobs look etc?

So your freshman year, expect an intro to computer programming course, and an intro to engineering course. Basically these serve to introduce you to building things, as well as the basics of programming. As a systems engineer, you don't need a lot of programming knowledge, certainly not as much as a software engineer. 

Anyway, the formal definition of what we do is "Combine knowledge of hardware, software, circuits, and math to evaluate or develop and design computing systems". Another big aspect of the field is how this computing system fits and works in the professional field. 

Jobs look like designers of new systems, some can have a decent time into network security, database construction or management, just to name a few. It's a very broad field compared to the others.

2 minutes ago, Inferius said:

So your freshman year, expect an intro to computer programming course, and an intro to engineering course. Basically these serve to introduce you to building things, as well as the basics of programming. As a systems engineer, you don't need a lot of programming knowledge, certainly not as much as a software engineer. 

Anyway, the formal definition of what we do is "Combine knowledge of hardware, software, circuits, and math to evaluate or develop and design computing systems". Another big aspect of the field is how this computing system fits and works in the professional field. 

Jobs look like designers of new systems, some can have a decent time into network security, database construction or management, just to name a few. It's a very broad field compared to the others.

A real world example could be designing a tailored system for a business' needs. For example say a car company needs a specialized computer as part of their new car system. It's up to the systems engineers to design and develop a system to suit this company's needs.

21 minutes ago, Inferius said:

A real world example could be designing a tailored system for a business' needs. For example say a car company needs a specialized computer as part of their new car system. It's up to the systems engineers to design and develop a system to suit this company's needs.

Thanks for the explanation, helped a lot :D