how to push boss for a raise ?

givingtnt

ok, here's the situation : 

iv been working at the airport for the past 6 months now. at 13$/h rate (cad)
doing export and import for British airways, KLM, airfrance, and now air inuit (no its not a bunch of flying igloos)     

the job is super stressfull and we work 4d/week, at 10:30h + / day  moving 1000 of boxes from aircraft pallets to wood skids.

and there is a company next door, that does 1/4 of our work, super relax and they get payed 14$/h

but I don'T want a boring job. though tho. I don't want to be underpayed either.

what can I do ? some people have been working there 2 years without any kind of raise. and iv been working and doing 2 as much work as I was when I started.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

grrr... I clicked on general discussion.. not off topic.. sorry D: 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I think going on reddit at r/personalfinance is your best bet for an answer.

Work harder & don't ask for a raise or even hint about it. Give your employer the impression that you absolutely love working there & are extremely grateful for the generous wage you're being paid. I know kissing up is humiliating, but I think that's the best way to potentially get a raise. For the record though the only real job I've ever had was at McDonalds. Had to quit because they kept pushing for me to learn the Register which I couldn't so used school at the time as an excuse to leave. Now I'm a handyman which don't pay as well as it could but being ill doesn't help either lol.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

27 minutes ago, nobelharvards said:

Go up to your boss.

Shove both fists in his/her butt.

Demand for a raise.

Guaranteed to work! Employers hate me! Raise your income with this one simple trick!

Or, take a gun! and ask him  to empty the safe

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's too soon to ask for a raise if you've just worked there for 6 months. Keep doing a good job for a year or so and then ask.

If the company next door has a better job then why not chance?

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It's too soon to ask for a raise if you've just worked there for 6 months. Keep doing a good job for a year or so and then ask.

If the company next door has a better job then why not chance?

How would that be too long? Would OP have to wait a year before getting a raise?

I certainly wouldn't stick around for a year in a job which paid $13/hour.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

How would that be too long? Would OP have to wait a year before getting a raise?

I certainly wouldn't stick around for a year in a job which paid $13/hour.

Ehm yes? That's exactly what I wrote. Wait about a year before asking.

Annual pay raise is pretty standard. The 13 dollars an hour and poor work times were all things OP knew when he accepted the job.

It is also quite a bit above minimum wage (which is 10.50 CAD), so it isn't too bad. It could be much worse.

If OP feels like he is underpaid then work hard to show that you are worthy of a raise. Asking too shortly after being employed will not look good. It will look like you took the job and then realized you don't like it (it sounds like you don't like it, but that's not something your boss should know).

"Pay me because otherwise I will leave" is not a good strategy. It sends the message that you don't like your job and is only there for the money. The undertone is that replacing you with someone more passionate for the job might be better for the company.

"Look at how much I have grown and how much better I am at my work now compared to the day I started" is a good strategy. It gives the impression that you take your job seriously and also that you are now (hopefully) more valuable to the company, and should therefore be paid accordingly. The undertone is that replacing you would result in a loss for the company. The longer you wait with asking, the more experience you will have accumulated, and the more deserving you are of a raise.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Ehm yes? That's exactly what I wrote. Wait about a year before asking.

Annual pay raise is pretty standard. The 13 dollars an hour and poor work times were all things OP knew when he accepted the job.

It is also quite a bit above minimum wage (which is 10.50 CAD), so it isn't too bad. It could be much worse.

If OP feels like he is underpaid then work hard to show that you are worthy of a raise. Asking too shortly after being employed will not look good. It will look like you took the job and then realized you don't like it (it sounds like you don't like it, but that's not something your boss should know).

"Pay me because otherwise I will leave" is not a good strategy. It sends the message that you don't like your job and is only there for the money. The undertone is that replacing you with someone more passionate for the job might be better for the company.

"Look at how much I have grown and how much better I am at my work now compared to the day I started" is a good strategy. It gives the impression that you take your job seriously and also that you are now (hopefully) more valuable to the company, and should therefore be paid accordingly. The undertone is that replacing you would result in a loss for the company. The longer you wait with asking, the more experience you will have accumulated, and the more deserving you are of a raise.

All of this is true.  Pretty much the best advice.  You have only been at your job for six months.  Still considered a newbie or rookie in the job world. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

You could always ask but chances are he's not authorized to give you any more money. So the correct way to ask is to ask for more responsabilities like a supervisor or shift manager position of sorts. Of course you better be always on time and not skip on work or take excessive/poorly justified sick days, etc.

If that doesn't works just start sending resumes around. Trust me managers of entry level employees know they can't do shit in the case of stopping people from leaving their team and are used to high rotation and probably won't hold it against you if you just end up with a better offer on the table. As long as you can give 2 weeks notice they'll be ok, such is the way of entry level jobs there's no harm in moving up either within or outside your company.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ask about the pay schedule, if there is one.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If you have annual pay reviews you could bring it up then, but in the current climate (and the climate for the past 8 years) to be honest if you want more money the best way is to find a new job. There won't be a lot of flexibility in a large company for a role they employ many people in, paying people who do the same job greatly differing sums that can't be explained away by length of service can be problematic for them.

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That depends on the job. At some jobs you have the right (literally the right) to demand a raise after a year, but at some you have after 6 months.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

That depends on the job. At some jobs you have the right (literally the right) to demand a raise after a year, but at some you have after 6 months.

That "right" is only if it's part of your job contract. Quebec Law does not guarantee anyone a raise, even after a set amount of time.

Some jobs, especially ones with Unions, might have a "set" schedule of when you receive raises, and by what percentage. Otherwise, it's pretty much up to the individual company, and it's basically the wild west.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That "right" is only if it's part of your job contract. Quebec Law does not guarantee anyone a raise, even after a set amount of time.

Some jobs, especially ones with Unions, might have a "set" schedule of when you receive raises, and by what percentage. Otherwise, it's pretty much up to the individual company, and it's basically the wild west.

I don't know about Canada Law and stuff, but what I meant is from experience from here and in Ireland (a very good friend moved there 2 years ago), it's not always in your contract (it is most of the times though), some companies have that as their general policy, but naturally it doesn't mean you'll get a raise. You still have to deserve it. That's why I said some companies.:P

I don't know the specifics of job of OP, but before asking for a raise I'd first get all the info that I can on how the company works, so to say. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.