Windows Low Memory Warning when having over 4GB free

Sidiox
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

This was bug in Win7. I'm going to assume MS hasn't fixed it in newer versions either.

So I run a machine with an i7 4790 and 24GB of ram.

Sometimes when I hit around 18 to 20GB ram usage, windows informs me that I'm low on memory and that I should close one or two programs. However instead of really asking it, it already kills them. Which is really annoying in the case of games.

I do not know why this is happening.

I have a paging  file size set from about 8GB to a max of 16GB on my SSD. I do not wish to allocate more memory to it since that would just be ridiculous.

I can't find any proper solution to this problem on the internet and I can't come up with anything on my own, any of you got any ideas?

Or I may just end up adding another stick of ram

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

are you sure the system has full access to it all?
Sometimes stuff like the bios can reserve ram for the internal GPU or you might have some ram cache programs

Just now, kris2340k said:

are you sure the system has full access to it all?
Sometimes stuff like the bios can reserve ram for the internal GPU or you might have some ram cache programs

I'm very sure. see in task manager that I have 32.2GB memory total, which is the physical memory plus the page file. Only 125MB's are reserved for hardware. Oh and currently 3.6GB of ram is cached, with 25.6GB commited. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

1 minute ago, Sidiox said:

I'm very sure. see in task manager that I have 32.2GB memory total, which is the physical memory plus the page file. Only 125MB's are reserved for hardware. Oh and currently 3.6GB of ram is cached, with 25.6GB commited. 

Uhh so there are highly unlikely when reading your specs but im gunna say them anyway

Uhh check you have a 64 bit system
check your motherboard supports 32GB ram
Check your CPU does
Check its not a bandwidth issue, eg if your ram is overclocked then stop overclocking it lol

make sure one of the sticks is not dead

Swap the sticks
Do a memtest

Reseat all your sticks

23 minutes ago, Druaga1 said:

Might be reserved, just delete programs

Why the hell would I want to do that? I have 24GB cuz I want to use it. Its something in Windows that kills the program when Windows thinks its low on memory when its far from it. 

20 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

Uhh so there are highly unlikely when reading your specs but im gunna say them anyway

Uhh check you have a 64 bit system
check your motherboard supports 32GB ram
Check your CPU does
Check its not a bandwidth issue, eg if your ram is overclocked then stop overclocking it lol

make sure one of the sticks is not dead

Swap the sticks
Do a memtest

Reseat all your sticks

Well of course my OS, motherboard and cpu support it.

I have a slight overclock, but only of about 30MHZ, so that shouldn't harm things.

Considering I can get up to 20GB of usage without any hard problems I doubt its a hardware issue. That would usually result in more random programs crashing or blue screens.

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You disable pagefile, that is why.

You say I should disable the page file fully? Because I don't currently have it disabled as I said 

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

This was bug in Win7. I'm going to assume MS hasn't fixed it in newer versions either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Well that seems fucky . Wouldn't be particularly surprising though. Got any sources on that? 

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

18 minutes ago, Sidiox said:

Well that seems fucky . Wouldn't be particularly surprising though. Got any sources on that? 

No, sorry. I haven't played BF4 in a while which was last game to cause it on my system.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, Sidiox said:

You say I should disable the page file fully? Because I don't currently have it disabled as I said 

Pagefile main role is to extend your RAM. When you are out of RAM, the pagefile is being used.

Another role is that it allows Windows to defrag your RAM. RAM data is never fragmented. So if you have small segments of 100MB free space, totaling 4GB, but you have stuff in between  each 100MB segments, you are out of RAM, if the program you try to open is larger than 100MB.

Another thing I forgot to mention before:

If you run 32-bit software, it is limited to 2GB of RAM, or 4GB of RAM if the developer enabled it. Only 64-bit software can expand software consuming all your RAM. This was a limitation of 32-bit programs under Windows. So, if you try to load something with a 32-bit compiled software that is more than 2 or 4GB (depending on the software), it will fail.