Computer Powers Down suddenly... then turns back on again

BionicMike

My computer just turns off suddenly, without warning. A couple of seconds later, it turns back on automatically and nothing happens. 

Windows 10 64-bit

Intel Core i5-4690K (3.5ghz)

Noctua NH-D14 Cooler

8 GB Kingston HyperX Black RAM

Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard (BIOS version F8)

Corsair AX860i Power Supply

WD Blue 1TB
Sandisk 240GB SSD

It crashes randomly. Sometimes I'll be browsing (with around 10-15 tabs) or I'll be word processing, sometimes gaming (Overwatch and CSGO) and it will shut down all of a sudden. 

No error messages occur, just a shutdown. No BSOD or anything of that sort. It shuts down.

Things I've tried:

- It's defintely not a wattage issue, 860W is more than capable of powering this.

- Drivers are 100% up to date, I double checked 

- Memtested RAM and it's fine so I'm sure RAM isn't the issue.

- Prime95 stress test for around 3-4 hours is fine too... it doesn't crash and is 100% stable

- Sometimes it won't happen for a long time, but when it does it just shuts down immediately and restarts. Kind of annoying because I'll be in the middle of playing something and it will shut down all of a sudden. 

Sounds like the overclock isn't stable, try turning it down/off, or upping the voltage.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Sounds like the overclock isn't stable, try turning it down/off, or upping the voltage.

I haven't overclocked it at all. 3.5 GhZ is the base clock for this processor. 

Lose Ram? I had that issue, taking out my ram and putting it back in fixed it. does the screen flash on and off before it powered down?

1 minute ago, BennyGoodman said:

Lose Ram? I had that issue, taking out my ram and putting it back in fixed it. does the screen flash on and off before it powered down?

Nope, it just shuts down automatically. And then restarts without me touching anything and acts as normal.

Faulty powersupply, check all your connections and try with another one if you can.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

On 9/26/2016 at 4:27 PM, EvilLemur said:

Faulty powersupply, check all your connections and try with another one if you can.

That may be the case but it's only been six months with the PSU.

I tried the RAM trick and no auto reboot over the last 24 hours so maybe it's fine now :D

So a couple of days later, this happened.

Below is a google drive link of the video so you can see what's happening.

It suddenly shuts off, then goes into a restart loop like that for around 2 minutes, then starts up normally.

Is this still a problem with the PSU?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Hk9MTQecnPMjRiWHR1blBOX1k/view?usp=sharing

Bumped, hopefully someone can answer this soon, my computer just will go into a restart loop erratically.

22 minutes ago, BionicMike said:

Bumped, hopefully someone can answer this soon, my computer just will go into a restart loop erratically.

Did you check the power supply connection and if yes tryed a different power supply already? Would try it, before you toast your system.

If you're getting a new one, look for SeaSonic or SuperFlower.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

Just now, Thx And Bye said:

Did you check the power supply connection and if yes tryed a different power supply already? Would try it, before you toast your system.

If you're getting a new one, look for SeaSonic or SuperFlower.

It's an AX860i. 

I don't have a different PSU...

Just now, BionicMike said:

It's an AX860i. 

I don't have a different PSU...

If it turns out not to be a PSU failure, you can (depending of your county) simply send it back for a refund.
But its pretty likely a PSU problem if you can't even start the system.

Also if the PSU is only 6 month old, you could also RMA it.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

2 minutes ago, Thx And Bye said:

If it turns out not to be a PSU failure, you can (depending of your county) simply send it back for a refund.
But its pretty likely a PSU problem if you can't even start the system.

Also if the PSU is only 6 month old, you could also RMA it.

Yeah, I might RMA it.

I can start the system, but a couple of minutes in, it will turn off, then go into that start, shut off, start, shut off...

Couple of minutes later it will POST and go into the desktop, but experience the same problems 5 minutes into starting up Windows.

So it's probably a PSU problem? 

4 minutes ago, BionicMike said:

So it's probably a PSU problem? 

If you are getting no BSOD I'd say its 90% the PSU.

~ ThxAndBye