To reduce shipping damages, a Dutch bike company printed a television on their boxes

Original Article from the Verge: To reduce shipping damages, a Dutch bike company printed a television on their boxes

Dutch bicycle manufacturer VanMoof found that it had a problem. As it shipped its products to customers, it found that they were arriving to customers damaged. The company came up with a genius solution: print a graphic of a flatscreen television on the side of the box

By making its shippers think that they were transporting flatscreen televisions, the company found instantaneous results: "shipping damage to our bikes dropped by 70-80 percenet" said Rad. As Cycling Weekly pointed out, nobody wants to damage a new television, and few people equate an expensive bike with electronics.

Image copyright due to Jason Gray - hopefully this is fair use :)

I just thought this was really cool and a practical solution - maybe the way to prevent damage is to make people think they are carrying a big TV.  It's not like the weight will tell them any different.

CrisIzuWEAAJKTl.jpg-large.jpeg

Edited by VPrime

I wanna bet someone stole one of these boxes, found a bike inside and still is confused about it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Clever. Neat.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Or fire the shipping company's employees

They likely don't ship it themselves and rather employ/pay a DHL/FedEx/UPS like company to ship these. Can't fire employees who you are not the employer of :P 

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

They likely don't ship it themselves and rather employ/pay a DHL/FedEx/UPS like company to ship these. Can't fire employees who you are not the employer of :P 

I meant I think the shipping company should fire employees that don't give a flying fuck for other people's stuff

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

They likely don't ship it themselves and rather employ/pay a DHL/FedEx/UPS like company to ship these. Can't fire employees who you are not the employer of :P 

Well you can fire them by using a different delivery company and spending your money elsewhere.

Funnily enough, I think most generic bikes weigh more than modern TVs. 

At least, here they seem to.

15 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I meant I think the shipping company should fire employees that don't give a flying fuck for other people's stuff

It's likely hard to find out where the 'damager' is since the package goes through so many stages. With something like a bike, made of so many fragile thing materials (like plastics) it can also get damaged by a bump or whatever easily too, you will only find out it is damaged once the customer opens the package up and sees the components.

10 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Well you can fire them by using a different delivery company and spending your money elsewhere.

Because the Netherlands is such a small company, there are not that many postal companies. The majority of the market is held by one company (PostNL, at 70%) so they are usually the safest bet at sending packages (most manpower, etc.). However, if you send a lot of packages, it is bound to go wrong sometimes. Apparently enough times to print this image on the boxes, but not enough to switch to DHL, UPS or a couple of the other postal services.

Well that printed tv on the box didn't work cause in that pic, there are holes and the bike wheel is sticking out of the box. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Or they can just replace those people with robots, like every other industry. Each box should say on it "Warning! Robots will replace you if you damage this package." Then in fine print at the bottom "robots will be taking your job anyway. just stop breaking our sh*t!"

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Still, it will make fuck all difference if UPS is involved in any way.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I wanna bet someone stole one of these boxes, found a bike inside and still is confused about it. 

there is a joke here in .ro

one of our bike factories also used to make machine guns for the army

some dude who worked at the factory store parts to build a bike but every time he assembled it it still came out as a machine gun

10 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

you got a better chance of finding a gold ingot in front of your house then the shippers removing the people  trying to break shit . i know i tried

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

too bad a pgu sized box with a tv on it wont get this kind of treatment

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

12 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The main issue is that if they do it, they'll just end up replacing them with people giving even less fuck 99% of the time. They just need to put people to jail. That's called vandalism or destruction of private property. You put them in jail for that and maybe they'll stop doing it.

I heard some shipping companies employees even play football with what they're supposed to deliver because they're "bored".

Oh and they should start to pay truck drivers sometimes. I know a few who had to spend 6 years in court just to get their last 6 months of pay... with a mentality like shit like that,  that's not a surprise people feel like doing whatever they want. 

16 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Or fire the shipping company's employees

From the shipping company collecting the item to the point the customer receiving it. The item goes through many delivery centers, and many pairs of hands. It would be hard to pin point exactly who breaks the item during the transition.

15 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Come on. It's not like they purposely try to harass your package. They have a lot of items to move throughout the country, and babying every single box wastes time and is nearly impossible anyway since they have to load it onto trucks or planes or whatever often from far distances.

welcome to the Netherlands everyone.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

4 hours ago, laminutederire said:

The main issue is that if they do it, they'll just end up replacing them with people giving even less fuck 99% of the time. They just need to put people to jail. That's called vandalism or destruction of private property. You put them in jail for that and maybe they'll stop doing it.

I heard some shipping companies employees even play football with what they're supposed to deliver because they're "bored".

Oh and they should start to pay truck drivers sometimes. I know a few who had to spend 6 years in court just to get their last 6 months of pay... with a mentality like shit like that,  that's not a surprise people feel like doing whatever they want. 

Don't know how things work in the US.

In the Netherlands and Germany, because of the EU regulations and in the name of open up the market and bring in the competitions. Many workers in the delivering business are either hired part time through employment agencies, or work as freelancers. They aren't employees of the shipping company. And their earning depends on the number of parcels they delivery. The more they delivery, the more they can earn. So speed is essential. Even for part time workers working in the sorting center. They have to meet a quota per hour. if the container has many big heavy items, you won't make the norm. If you keep missing the norm, you will lose your job. I worked one summer in those place a few years ago..