The Galaxy Note 7 saga continues, new units overheat and drain battery when charging

Nowak

Sauce: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/179146/20160925/samsung-galaxy-note-7-replacements-might-not-explode-but-they-have-issues-overheating-and-battery-drain-while-charging.htm

galaxy-note-7-1200x801.jpg

So Samsung has claimed to have replaced half of the Galaxy Note 7 units sold worldwide. That's great! However, the replacement phones are having issues of their own.

Consumers who received Samsung Galaxy Note 7 replacements are reporting that their new devices have overheating and battery drain issues even while they're charging.

The users who found the issues are based in South Korea, where the smartphone maker started the recall process back in Monday.

I mean, it's better than exploding, but still. Losing power while still charging? Here's one of the users' reports.

According to ZDNet, one owner surnamed Choi said that even though his Galaxy Note 7 was charging and showing the thunder symbol in the battery indicator, the device kept losing 1 percent of power every second.

"I've charged it [Note 7] all night after the battery went below one percent, but it didn't charge over 10 percent," the user told the news outlet.

However, despite this there have been no reports of the replacement phones catching fire yet. Samsung, meanwhile, claims it's not related to the batteries.

It's unclear how rampant these issues are, but according to a Samsung spokesperson, the problem is "completely unrelated to batteries," saying that the incidents are "isolated cases" linked to mass production issues. They also pointed out that "close examinations" are ongoing.

I think it's important to note that these claims right now are isolated to South Korea, according to Samsung anyway, and it's probably unlikely for customers in the US or Canada to experience the same things. And, as I said, it's better than exploding. Still though, Samsung just can't catch a break with the Galaxy Note 7, can they?

The Note 7 will stay marked as the most security oriented Samsung device, at the cost of being the worst deployed smartphone of the company in years.

Groomlake Authority

Amazing. I was planning on buying one when the whole allahu akbar experience was over. Good thing I decided to say screw it and just go with the S7 Edge.

EDIT: Or maybe I should just wait for the S8

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

5 minutes ago, Railgun said:

Amazing. I was planning on buying one when the whole allahu akbar experience was over. Good thing I decided to say screw it and just go with the S7 Edge.

EDIT: Or maybe I should just wait for the S8

If you want a new Samsung phone right now, then yeah, go for the S7 Edge.

1 minute ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

This has nothing to do with the article I posted, though. I even say that there are no reports of the new units catching fire.

My old Optimus 2X also exhibited similar issues after I put a new kernel on it. It would freeze up entirely while in my pocket, and then proceed to drain the battery within an inch of it's life. The only warning would be the heat of the phone while in my pocket, the fix being to pull the battery and put it back in. Oftentimes, it would boot with only 17% or so of battery life remaining (being a primary factor in me replacing the phone).

To have the battery drain while on the charger (and assuming it's actually receiving power from the charger) would indicate the phone is draining more power than what the charger can provide. Of course, that power drain converts to (excessive) heat. I'd wager this is a software issue.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Still think if they want to actually fix the sales of this phone just add a letter after the 7 and include a 5% cpu overclock or something and sell that instead. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I think the Note name might be tarnished forever. After the whole fire debacle and now reports of this I don't think Samsung's ever going to redeem the Note line.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

LOL so much for high-capacity and fast charging phones!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Has anyone thought about what customers are having battery issues? Are they the ones who are buying these shitty cables from 7-11 and Ebay that cost a dollar? Anker did have issues with one of their USB - C Cables. I have customers come in with their iphones everyday with expanded/dead batteries and when I ask them what kind of cable they use? they all say that they got those cheap 7-11 cables from the gas station and 7-11. Maybe its not Samsung's fault at all in this matter but rather the cables some of these people use. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

-snip-

Which i thought was kinda stupid too.

23 minutes ago, atrash said:

-snip-

At least its the most stylish charger ever xD!

Groomlake Authority

2 hours ago, Daring said:

Consumers who received Samsung Galaxy Note 7 replacements are reporting that their new devices have overheating and battery drain issues even while they're charging.

Hey! They tried to make a perpetual motion machine!

Wall charges phone, phone charges wall!

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Just now, Misanthrope said:

At this point this is exploitative: you guys are blowing things up out of proportion.

Interesting choice of words there, especially considering the Note 7's reputation :P 

they need to give up and just consider it a flop and stop making it at this point. at some point you have to cut your losses. 

sell the old phone. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

24 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

At least its the most stylish charger ever xD!

It is design wise. But certainly not the most elegant solution to charging and using headphones at the same time.

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

they need to give up and just consider it a flop and stop making it at this point. at some point you have to cut your losses. 

sell the old phone. 

There is the issue of replacing all the Note 7s that were already sold. In addition, sans the battery issue, the Note 7 seems to be the best phone on the Android side of things currently. Would be a step backwards to kill your flagship.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Maybe it's me but I don't understand the hype of this 'phablet' in the first place. It's just another big smartphone that doesn't fit in any of my pockets. At that point a phone is completely useless in my opinion. Is there really that big of a market for something that bridges the (not so big) gap between phone and tablet?

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

2 hours ago, MSWindowsinside said:

Maybe it's me but I don't understand the hype of this 'phablet' in the first place. It's just another big smartphone that doesn't fit in any of my pockets. At that point a phone is completely useless in my opinion. Is there really that big of a market for something that bridges the (not so big) gap between phone and tablet?

Old people can want those because big screen and bad eyes, some corporate people can love them because the big screen can let them do things like watching presentations in advance a bit more comfortable. For the swag as well. Because tablets are expensive and phone as well, so might as well compromise and spend less.and that's at the top of my head! Not every reason is rationally valid, but not every choice need to be rational when it's comes to buying.

Ok. Its definitely got to be something in relation to Samsung's implementation of USB C (including the chargers+cables supplied).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL