Good budget cooler for O.C. i7-6700k

Anbar48

I'm considering building a powerhouse featuring an i7-6700k, and are still in the finding parts stage and, do you know of any good budget cooler for O.C.-ing the i7-6700k? I was going to buy the Cooler Master 212 EVO, but then heard about how it was over-recommended and doesn't perform well, and especially not-so-great, with O.C.-ing

The 212 evo is pretty good. One of the best air coolers on the market. On a 6700k for overclocking I would go AIO liquid though. Like a H100i GTX or any good name brand 240mm rad AIOs.

Andrew "FirstM8" Wanamaker

Missouri University of Science and Technology

Freshman Engineering - Computer Engineering

Missouri S&T IT Help Desk

10 minutes ago, WaffleTiger13 said:

hyper 212 evo is like the same price and better i believe

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

hyper 212 evo is like the same price and better i believe

That makes me wonder, what's the difference between all the different versions of that cooler? Hyper 212 EVO, T4, Hyper 612 2.0, Hyper 212 X, Hyper 212 X dual fan & 212 LED. Couldn't one just stick any 120mm fan on either side of any of these? Are there differences in the heat pipes or fins or something & if so what?

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

4 hours ago, WaffleTiger13 said:
4 hours ago, Mike Soda said:

That makes me wonder, what's the difference between all the different versions of that cooler? Hyper 212 EVO, T4, Hyper 612 2.0, Hyper 212 X, Hyper 212 X dual fan & 212 LED. Couldn't one just stick any 120mm fan on either side of any of these? Are there differences in the heat pipes or fins or something & if so what?

The T4 is easily worse than the 212 Evo and not a good cooler for oc'ing the 6700k. 

The 212x is an update to the 212 Evo. The dual fan and led versions are literally just adding another fan or using a version of the same fan with leds. The 612 is a bigger brother to the 212. 

The 212 Evo performs well but more options have been available since its initial release. 

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

40 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The T4 is easily worse than the 212 Evo and not a good cooler for oc'ing the 6700k. 

The 212x is an update to the 212 Evo. The dual fan and led versions are literally just adding another fan or using a version of the same fan with leds. The 612 is a bigger brother to the 212. 

The 212 Evo performs well but more options have been available since its initial release. 

im running a T4 and its ok. ive never had a evo do i cant say one is better then the other, but i can say the T4 is better then a H60

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Well I'm in the States but not shopping for one just yet. Although when I am it'll be used on either a Zen or Kaby Lake Quad-core, unless those are too pricey then a i3-6100. My budget would likely be in the $50.00 - $75.00 range, certainly no more. I watched a video comparing the 212 EVO to the 212x & one other improvement is the fan quality, 160k hours on the new vs 40k on old. In short, I'll be looking for a 120mm fan CPU where they're easily replaceable with any including Noctua's top of the line models.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

15 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Well I'm in the States but not shopping for one just yet. Although when I am it'll be used on either a Zen or Kaby Lake Quad-core, unless those are too pricey then a i3-6100. My budget would likely be in the $50.00 - $75.00 range, certainly no more. I watched a video comparing the 212 EVO to the 212x & one other improvement is the fan quality, 160k hours on the new vs 40k on old. In short, I'll be looking for a 120mm fan CPU where they're easily replaceable with any including Noctua's top of the line models.

Oh, are you also looking for a cooler? I was asking the OP..

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Oh, are you also looking for a cooler? I was asking the OP..

I'm just chiming in seeing what y'all recommend to the OP as I could benefit from the information too lol.

Just now, Mike Soda said:

I'm just chiming in seeing what y'all recommend to the OP as I could benefit from the information too lol.

Well if you're going with an i3 6100, there isn't much need for an aftermarket cooler.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Well if you're going with an i3 6100, there isn't much need for an aftermarket cooler.

Ah okay thanks, I do live in a hot climate though & would be overclocking it to at least 4.0 if possible. Not to mention that someday I would be upgrading to an i7-6700k just as the OP currently has.

Just now, Mike Soda said:

Ah okay thanks, I do live in a hot climate though & would be overclocking it to at least 4.0 if possible. Not to mention that someday I would be upgrading to an i7-6700k just as the OP currently has.

I'd save the cooler upgrade for when you actually get the i7. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's been as while since I've been able to answer questions, and if they seem unclear, or vague, it's b/c I'm a first-time PC builder. The mobo I'm getting is the ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura LGA 1151 ATX (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1273534-REG/asus_z170_pro_gaming_aura_rgb_lga115.html),  with a normal NZXT Case (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1165518-REG/nzxt_ca_s340gr2_s340_mid_tower_desktop.html), my preferred martketplace (or whatever) would be B&H Photo Video, located in South Carolina (USA). So I should  I guess I should look for a liquid cooler for OC-ing?

1 hour ago, Anbar48 said:

Yeah, it's been as while since I've been able to answer questions, and if they seem unclear, or vague, it's b/c I'm a first-time PC builder. The mobo I'm getting is the ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura LGA 1151 ATX (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1273534-REG/asus_z170_pro_gaming_aura_rgb_lga115.html),  with a normal NZXT Case (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1165518-REG/nzxt_ca_s340gr2_s340_mid_tower_desktop.html), my preferred martketplace (or whatever) would be B&H Photo Video, located in South Carolina (USA). So I should  I guess I should look for a liquid cooler for OC-ing?

What's your budget?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

My budget under $1000, minus the graphics card, & I was unsure about how this forum works and if it would be unnecessary to quote someone. 

On 9/24/2016 at 3:25 PM, FirstM8 said:

The 212 evo is pretty good. One of the best air coolers on the market. On a 6700k for overclocking I would go AIO liquid though. Like a H100i GTX or any good name brand 240mm rad AIOs.

The Evo 212 isn't one of the best HSF on the market, its by far it. Its out done by a ton of other coolers.

I would go with a Cryorig M9i if you want something cheapish, it gets very similar performance to the Evo 212. For the best of the best and the best bang for your buck I would recommend a Sytche Fuma which out performs all other HSF's out there.

By only buying from one store you are kind of limiting yourself on what you have available. Newegg and Amazon both offer a much greater selection of coolers that could be better suited for your build and will deliver straight to your door.

That being said I went through all of the CPU coolers B&H had to offer and these are what I came up with. All of them will cool your CPU to varying degrees of success.

Cooler Master Hyper 612 This should fit 1151 socket even though it doesn't list it as supported.

Thermaltake Riing Silent 12 I've never used this cooler nor have I heard of anyone who has. The fan itself is solid but I'm unsure of the coolers actual performance.

Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 This cooler is supposed to be worse than the 212 but I have one on my 2500K at 4.4 GHz (the motherboard is a limiting OC factor in my build) that is dissipating 210W of power from the CPU even though it's only rated for 130W.

Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 This is supposed to be as good as the 212, but if it's like the 300 it will be able to handle much more than it is rated for.

Deepcool Frostwin V2.0 This is one is supposed to be pretty solid for cooling performance but I've never known anyone personally who used it.

Deepcool Lucifer K2 This monster is competing with the coolers from Noctua and is supposed to be able to cool some processors passively. This cooler has a reputation for issues with RAM clearance though.

SilverStone Heligon HE01 Never used it, don't know anyone who has. Listed at 300W dissipation (which is insane).

Deepcool Captian 120 120mm radiators aren't the best for cooling and overclocking but they are not the worst either.

Deepcool Captian 240 EX Like the 120, but now in 240! This would offer better cooling but you are going to pay a lot more for it.

Deepcool Captian 240 Different color, also heard of a lot of these being dead on arrival. Deepcool is pretty good at replacing dead units though.

Antec KUHLER H2O 1250 Heard that the pumps are built into the fan hubs, means the fans can't really be replaced but is an interesting design. Supposed to be a solid cooler.

All of these coolers should fit in your case. If you are willing to go outside of this website we can easily find more options that may suit you better. Out of the ones listed, I would recommend the Frostwin, Lucifer or Heligon as they seem to be what you are looking for. Also remember that on a lot of these coolers the fans can be removed and replaced if you want a different color scheme.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit