Ear-ins versus Headphones for drumming?

LukeS

Couldn't find another post on the forums talking about this, so here it goes...

So I'm a musician (no duh). I recently got a (decent) electronic drum set. However, I just broke my earbuds (they were NOT made for highquality music anyways)(up swings can rip earbuds apart...). I've needed to buy ear-ins for church band and personal band things, however I wanted y'alls opinions. Should I go with some $200 audiotechnica headphones for drumming, or just buy some ear-ins for drumming, guitaring, etc?

-Luke S

p.s. there's a chance that I can get earins in the future for free for band stuff, so I don't know if it would be a good investment...

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

I would go for Headphones. More options in terms of sound isolation, as well as not having to deal with IEMs falling out. 

Okay, any specific brands? I LOVE audio technica quiality, however I don't know if I want to spend $100-300 on headphones. I see guitar center has some $30 "studio quality" ones. I'm used to the $75 pair SteelSeries sent to me for free for quality, so I'd like something like that.

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

2 minutes ago, LukeS said:

Okay, any specific brands? I LOVE audio technica quiality, however I don't know if I want to spend $100-300 on headphones. I see guitar center has some $30 "studio quality" ones. I'm used to the $75 pair SteelSeries sent to me for free for quality, so I'd like something like that.

Well, I can only really suggest from personal experience. In which case, Audio Technica MSR7 would be my suggestion. They're pricey (luckily, I won mine from @MyInnerFred) but I love them and they show no signs of breaking even through extensive use indoors and outdoors. 

In Ear Monitors are actually designed for this purpose. They were originally meant for drumming/singing/mixing and live performance. They offer vastly superior noise isolation compared to headphones, and many of them are specifically tuned in sound signature for this purpose. Good brands to consider in your price range are Shure, Westone, and many more I cant name off the top of my head at the moment.

22 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I would go for Headphones. More options in terms of sound isolation, as well as not having to deal with IEMs falling out. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but my SE215s stay in far better than any headphone I've used. There's no way I would be doing the moving around required in drumming with a pair of headphones comfortable enough to give a damn about. It also depends on the fit of the IEM. A good seal will give you equal or even greater isolation. 

1 minute ago, Undertow_ said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but my SE215s stay in far better than any headphone I've used. There's no way I would be doing the moving around required in drumming with a pair of headphones comfortable enough to give a damn about. It also depends on the fit of the IEM. A good seal will give you equal or even greater isolation. 

IEMs basically never stay in for me. A good fitting pair of headphones stay on better and are more comfortable for long periods from my experience. 

I was referring the to range of noise isolation available, not just how much they can block out. When playing music, you don't necessarily want lots of noise isolation as it can hurt your ability to hear the other instruments. 

23 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

IEMs basically never stay in for me. A good fitting pair of headphones stay on better and are more comfortable for long periods from my experience. 

I was referring the to range of noise isolation available, not just how much they can block out. When playing music, you don't necessarily want lots of noise isolation as it can hurt your ability to hear the other instruments. 

That's why most performers use ciem at least the ones that I know. Impossible to fall off and comfortable for a long period of time and you get a perfect seal every time.

8 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Have you ever used real IEMs such as the previously mentions Shure SE215. If there falling out your ear your doing something wrong.

The point of in ear monitors (IEM) is to have a mix of what your playing and the rest of the band, normally different amounts of certain instruments depending on peoples opinions and preferences. The idea is to not head anything of on stage and just hear the mix. So you dont need different levels of isolation, you need the most you can get. There is a job called monitor mixer who normal is on the side of stage and controls each band members mixes, sending more to each band member and normally changing it for certain songs.