Upgrade from 3570K to 7700K?

orangecat

Should I upgrade? I've been thinking about it for a while now and I'm really on edge about it. I wanna get an NVMe drive and Z77 won't easily support it and when it does have support it's limited. Also there are plenty of times when my 3570K is the bottleneck for my GTX 970.

I heard coffee lake could have 6 core chips and if that's true I kinda feel like maybe I should wait but then again that could be a long time.

Going strictly by the age of the 3570K that upgrade doesn't seem unreasonable. I went from my old 2500K to the 6700K so it's about the same jump forward IMO

also NVMe is bliiiiiiiiiiiss

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Just now, Vettexl said:

Going strictly by the age of the 3570K that upgrade doesn't seem unreasonable. I went from my old 2500K to the 6700K so it's about the same jump forward IMO

also NVMe is bliiiiiiiiiiiss

Yea I've been holding off upgrading since it really wasn't worth it before but it's starting to seem like it might be worth the upgrade not just for CPU performance but for features too. Also I can't help but feel like investing money in a SATA ssd is kidna stupid now that NVMe exists so thats one fo the main reasons I wanna upgrade cuz I want a nice big SSD for my games.

Just now, Kilobytez95 said:

Yea I've been holding off upgrading since it really wasn't worth it before but it's starting to seem like it might be worth the upgrade not just for CPU performance but for features too. Also I can't help but feel like investing money in a SATA ssd is kidna stupid now that NVMe exists so thats one fo the main reasons I wanna upgrade cuz I want a nice big SSD for my games.

I still have a SATA SSD, it's just a larger capacity and not my main boot drive (which is M.2 NVMe)

With this current build I don't plan on having any mechanical drives, just larger SSDs for storage.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

31 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Should I upgrade? I've been thinking about it for a while now and I'm really on edge about it. I wanna get an NVMe drive and Z77 won't easily support it and when it does have support it's limited. Also there are plenty of times when my 3570K is the bottleneck for my GTX 970.

I heard coffee lake could have 6 core chips and if that's true I kinda feel like maybe I should wait but then again that could be a long time.

Go for it! It's a very reasonable upgrade though. Anyway if you want Coffe Lake you should at least wait until mid or late 2018. And even at this point we doesn't even know yet whether Coffe Lake will yield far more advantages and features compared to Kaby Lake.

It's a pretty worthy upgrade. Coffee lake (or isn't it Kaby lake or something?) isn't coming anytime soon, so rather upgrade now. Also, what is the need for NVMe?

Nothing.

Your CPU should not be bottlenecking your GPU considering the fact that an i5-3470 can handle higher end GPUs. Most likely a thermal issue that's causing performance holdback.

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

4 hours ago, ybriK said:

Your CPU should not be bottlenecking your GPU considering the fact that an i5-3470 can handle higher end GPUs. Most likely a thermal issue that's causing performance holdback.

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

Some games are just really CPU demanding and I currently play at 1600x900 so my GPU generally isnt the bottleneck. Also I have a NH-D15 on a delided CPU so thermals aren't an issue at stock settings.

1 minute ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Some games are just really CPU demanding and I currently play at 1600x900 so my GPU generally isnt the bottleneck. Also I have a NH-D15 on a delided CPU so thermals aren't an issue at stock settings.

upgrade your monitor, there is a lot of benefit from moving to a bigger screen with higher-resolution.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

upgrade your monitor, there is a lot of benefit from moving to a bigger screen with higher-resolution.

Yea I'm trying to save up for a PG279Q but I'm only like half way there.