What Tech Advice would You give Yourself if you could travel 3-5 years back in time?

What advice would You give Yourself if you could go back in time before you bought a hardware or made a wrong move while fixing something for yourself so that you buy the right thing or do the right thing? Post your replies below

EG:

•     Please Don't buy the microsoft headset & that nameless membrane keyboard
  •     Double check the hard drive power connector position before plugging it in forcibly
  •     Spend $20 more on the other GPU instead of buying this one

Erza-1024x576.png

Details separate people.

Don't pair an i7 3770K with a GTX 650

Don't try to swap hardware in a PC when it's on

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Never get hyped for a component BEFORE you check the price.

Oh and, if you are putting your computer under your desk, why did you almost spend $50 extra for looks? ;-)

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

don't cheap out 20 dollars and get a locked i5 instead of an unlocked one

buy an SSD you skrub

don't get a fucking 2GB GTX 960

realize that 3 pin fans are fine in 4 pin headers

buy a nice set of headphones, not fucking X12s

FAN CONTROL!!!!

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

you don't need X99 and a 5820k for what you do, save your money (doesn't mean its not awesome though!).

EE-ATX is not EATX compatible

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Don't touch that electric fence.....

Technically...stupid.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

- Please fork off the money for an i5

- Please don't buy a CD reader you won't ever need it

- Please buy a 6870 instead of a 560 Ti

- Please research PSUs better before making a buy

- Please don't get the shit case, a good one will last for a lifetime

- You'd have been better off getting 1 good monitor than 2 bad ones. Especially since you could have added another one later on

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Don't cheap out on the PSU. Killed $500 worth of gpus that way.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1. DOn't use a heat sink without thermal paste you dumb chicken
  2. Save money and buy better Fans, its actually worth it
  3. Water Cooling is not as hard as it looks. just do your research
  4. Stop using goddamn VGA 
  5. Backup Data !
  6. Dont try and boot a motherboard out of its case  close to  metal  objects , would have saved me $400 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

Start calculus and complex mathematics, learn more about electronics. Get AP schools from Mrs prosyk

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Tell my 13 year old self to tell my 10/11 year old self to maybe save that money my 10/11 year old self spent on a barely used macbook pro and instead wait until Ivy Bridge came out and maybe build a PC with an Ivy Bridge i5 and whatever money I had left towards a GPU.

Eh well I've been enlightened now and to not put $1,000+ towards mediocre tech from a company who tends to price their computers more than what they're reasonably worth after the cost to just make and ship the computer and pay its employees and keep it's lights and what not on. Because I'm sure Apple still has a very healthy profit margin on their stuffs.

Anyways I digress, besides questioning my sexual orientation when I was 13. I was starting to realize there were greener pastures outside of Apple's little enclosure. I was 12 when I got a Nexus 7 (2012) which I think really got me more into Android. 

Now Android is my daily driver as far as mobile OSes goes, maybe one day I'll be able to make Linux/Ubuntu my desktop OS daily driver. For now Windows is really the only option because program support. I think Microsoft knows that many people stay with Windows just for program support because generally there are no other reasons for many people to stay with Windows. Of course there are plenty of people who prefer the Windows UI/UX more or that's because that's what they're comfortable with and that's what they've learned and they don't really feel the need to learn anything else because Windows does most everything they need it to do. While technically Linux can do a lot of the same unless that individual needs specific program support.

-I feel like I'm rambling again... Oh well.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Maybe not 3-5 years ago, but 5 year old me, when you take things apart to see hpw they work. also work out bow they go back together. As well as look forward to the day overclocking wont require a soldering iron,

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Not 3 years ago, more like 4.5, but i would tell myself that not all Windows PC's are terrible just because your laptop with a 1.86GHz Celeron and 2GB of ram is, and also that the school network is not MacBook exclusive, so you can probably get a decent windows laptop instead of the MacBook Pro that will need replacing halfway through high school. Not getting a Macbook would also help in not becoming tied to OSX only apps.

Learnt this the hard way, getting an SSD for my MBP and then switching to running Windows 10 as the changes Apple are making, both in terms of software (disk utility on OSX is now a sack of shit, Photos is terrible compared to iPhoto) and hardware (Macbook with one port, headphone jackless iPhone), don't suit what I want from my technology. Slowly making myself less reliant on OSX apps, iPhoto is probably the last to go, uploading the last of the photos from there to my Flickr as I type this.

Don't overclock on a stock cooler you fucking moron.

Don't buy trash $30 peripherals you'll just end up replacing in 3 months.

Chill the fuck out on the RGB, you gave me cancer.

Must you spend so much on a single cable?!?

NEVER cheap out on a PSU.

"Everything you do will work out great!  You no own like FIVE computers and even a huge server,  You've recycled a series of components and most of it's in useful functional order still!  ...but that BDRW drive you got?  Yeah, so far you've never put a single Blu-ray in it.  So I guess there's that?"

Spend the extra money on the i7.

Talk wife out of buying 27" imac that only gets used for Face Time with sister-in-law.

Talk daughter out of being only family member with iphone.

Don't sell PS2 and games because you'll miss it and end up re-buying everything.

2 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

What advice would You give Yourself if you could go back in time before you bought a hardware or made a wrong move while fixing something for yourself so that you buy the right thing or do the right thing? Post your replies below

EG:

•     Please Don't buy the microsoft headset & that nameless membrane keyboard
  •     Double check the hard drive power connector position before plugging it in forcibly
  •     Spend $20 more on the other GPU instead of buying this one

Erza-1024x576.png

Not buying an iPhone 

:c iOS since 2008..

.. Tried switching but I can't. Note 5 and nexus 5.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, wcreek said:

Tell my 13 year old self to tell my 10/11 year old self to maybe save that money my 10/11 year old self spent on a barely used macbook pro and instead wait until Ivy Bridge came out and maybe build a PC with an Ivy Bridge i5 and whatever money I had left towards a GPU.

Eh well I've been enlightened now and to not put $1,000+ towards mediocre tech from a company who tends to price their computers more than what they're reasonably worth after the cost to just make and ship the computer and pay its employees and keep it's lights and what not on. Because I'm sure Apple still has a very healthy profit margin on their stuffs.

Anyways I digress, besides questioning my sexual orientation when I was 13. I was starting to realize there were greener pastures outside of Apple's little enclosure. I was 12 when I got a Nexus 7 (2012) which I think really got me more into Android. 

Now Android is my daily driver as far as mobile OSes goes, maybe one day I'll be able to make Linux/Ubuntu my desktop OS daily driver. For now Windows is really the only option because program support. I think Microsoft knows that many people stay with Windows just for program support because generally there are no other reasons for many people to stay with Windows. Of course there are plenty of people who prefer the Windows UI/UX more or that's because that's what they're comfortable with and that's what they've learned and they don't really feel the need to learn anything else because Windows does most everything they need it to do. While technically Linux can do a lot of the same unless that individual needs specific program support.

-I feel like I'm rambling again... Oh well.

10-11 year old me only had an iPhone :)

I would gladly take that Mac over whatever thing I have. 

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Don't pair an i7 3770K with a GTX 650

Don't try to swap hardware in a PC when it's on

Dad paired i7 3770k with GT 610 and didn't overclockimage.jpeg

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

To 2014 Me:

Buy the goddamned -K version of the 4690 because the -S isn't any cooler, and you're going to buy the 212 EVO in a few months anyways. Plus, you'll search for months on how to enable Enhanced Turbo in the UEFI but fail miserably since MSI disabled that feature for non-K CPUs.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W