Samsung sued over Note 7 burning a man

PRTI

So we all knew the lawsuits would eventually come to Samsung, sooner or later

It was only a matter of time before the lawsuits started rolling in over Samsung's exploding Galaxy Note 7s, and what appears to be the first one was filed today in Florida. According to Reuters, Samsung is being sued by a man who says a Note 7 exploded while in his pants pocket, leading to a second-degree burn on his leg and burns on his thumb, as he went to remove it.

The lawsuit seeks damages for his medical bills, suffering, and lost wages, according to Reuters

SOURCE : http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/16/12948988/samsung-sued-exploding-note-7-injuries

*grabs popcorn*

Now that one person has sued, I'd bet money that more will follow...

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

sigh

?

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Dont think he will get lost wages, also he should have returned the phone if he knew about the recall

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

If the phone exploded on him before the recall this lawsuit is perfectly fine.  If he saw the recall and did not return the phone then the man is 100% at fault.  If I knew my phone could explode at any moment I would stop using it immediately and return it ASAP.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

I think that honestly the case should just be thrown out, they should have gone with the recall instead of ignoring it, and it's not likely that he wouldn't have seen anything about it, with all the news sources reporting on it lately, it's pretty hard to miss.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The 'Murican way 

??

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

55 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I was questioning what kind of excuse "lost wages" would be here unless it'll legitimately prevent him from working.

Second degree burns... Yeah that prevents you from working mate -.-

1 hour ago, keNNySOC said:

So we all knew the lawsuits would eventually come to Samsung, sooner or later

SOURCE : http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/16/12948988/samsung-sued-exploding-note-7-injuries

Did he get injured before or after the recall?

That's pretty much the only important thing in this Lawsuit.

If it was before the recall, then he's justified, and Samsung should pay him the damages requested.

If it was after the recall, then he's a fucking idiot, and got what was coming to him.

The only reason why the US Gov't is now also officially recalling the Note 7 is because of morons who refuse to return them.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

For those asking why he's claiming lost work:

SPOILER - GRAPHIC IMAGES WARNING

Spoiler

2nddegburn.png

Yep. I'd be taking time off too.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So it happened a week after Samsung recalled it "unofficially"... But also a week before the US gov decided to move forward and issue the "official" recall.

Did Samsung even sent out a message to every Note 7 informing the owners of said device(directly to the Note 7 itself, similar to a text message/alert) about the recall? Or did they just issue some press release on their site and that's that?

Because one inform a user very quickly while the other rely on the user to actually watch the news to know about the recall in the first place.

If he didn't know about the recall because there was no communication from Samsung to him, then Samsung should be held accountable for it.

If they had indeed messaged every Noted 7 devices/users directly about the recall and he choose to ignore it, on one hand it's still Samsung's fault for making a faulty battery but on the other hand it's also the guy's fault for ignoring the recall and still use the product regardless...

Will be interesting to see what happens with this lawsuit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I was questioning what kind of excuse "lost wages" would be here unless it'll legitimately prevent him from working.

second degree burns, if you do anything physical, you're not doing it for a while lol.

PS: If only batteries werent soldered in.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

If it was before the recall, then he's justified, and Samsung should pay him the damages requested.

There's a period of time between which a recall is enacted and during which the customer is likely to have missed it. I'd give it a 48 hoursish period,after that it's on him but courts may see it otherwise

4 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

second degree burns, if you do anything physical, you're not doing it for a while lol.

PS: If only batteries werent soldered in.

There's a period of time between which a recall is enacted and during which the customer is likely to have missed it. I'd give it a 48 hoursish period,after that it's on him but courts may see it otherwise

Indeed, there should be time for news organizations and other systems to propagate the info.

But it was a week after Samsung announced. That news was all over the place, even on broadcast TV news networks. So I dunno. Hard to say. The US should have never needed to "officially" recall the Note 7, but it was because people were ignoring Samsung's recall notice.

It doesn't matter that they recalled it beforehand. You can't ensure that information gets to every single customer you sold the device to. There also may not be any proof he was aware of the recall. Also some areas still don't have replacement Note 7's yet, and if he doesn't want to downgrade to an S7 or S7 Edge then that is a risk on Samsung, not him. He is totally in the right here, what makes these kinds of lawsuits moral gray area is when they decide to sue for excessive amounts that aren't truly representative of damage done. In this case, from what I've seen, we don't know the amount yet either. 

4 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

*grabs popcorn*

Now that one person has sued, I'd bet money that more will follow...

Surely dude...

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

For those asking why he's claiming lost work:

SPOILER - GRAPHIC IMAGES WARNING

Reveal hidden contents

2nddegburn.png

Yep. I'd be taking time off too.

Must hurt like a bitch, 1st degree burns hurt like a bitch (sunburns) i can't imagine 2nd degree burns (3rd degree ones i just...can't...)

1 hour ago, hoboX10 said:

It doesn't matter that they recalled it beforehand. You can't ensure that information gets to every single customer you sold the device to. There also may not be any proof he was aware of the recall. Also some areas still don't have replacement Note 7's yet, and if he doesn't want to downgrade to an S7 or S7 Edge then that is a risk on Samsung, not him. He is totally in the right here, what makes these kinds of lawsuits moral gray area is when they decide to sue for excessive amounts that aren't truly representative of damage done. In this case, from what I've seen, we don't know the amount yet either. 

What are you talking about here? I was with you at first, but this? This is 100% totally wrong.

If Samsung says to him: Your phone could explode, return it for refund or return it and wait for a replacement, and he says "Nah, I'll just wait until replacements get here", that's 100% on him.

If he knowingly kept the device, knowing there was a recall, simply because replacements weren't available yet? He would be 100% liable, and Samsung wouldn't owe him a dime.

Now, it's not clear that's the case. I don't know if he knew about the recall or not. But if he did, he's out of luck. And stupid, risking his own life and others around him.

7 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

sigh

You can't really work with a sudden burn injury or can you? lol

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

9 hours ago, CptLameJokes said:

But Samsung is recalling their Note 7. It's kind of the man's fault for not returning the phone. Though Samsung did screw up pretty bad this time. It gonna need some serious PR rebuild afterward. 

the incident happeened a week before the official recall - Samsung are going to pay

9 hours ago, CptLameJokes said:

It gonna need some serious PR rebuild afterward. 

They really won't though. Most people still don't even know there is an issue with the Note 7, and in a year or two's time when they're ready for new phones, literally everyone will have forgotten/stopped caring. Now, those who've had a bad experience -- they will be the ones who Samsung need to work to get back on their side. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

They really won't though. Most people still don't even know there is an issue with the Note 7, and in a year or two's time when they're ready for new phones, literally everyone will have forgotten/stopped caring. Now, those who've had a bad experience -- they will be the ones who Samsung need to work to get back on their side. 

Just look at Dell - they had literal exploding laptops due to a batch of bad batteries years ago, but I doubt more than 10% of the forum users on LTT even remember that, and Dell (esp. in the Business/Enterprise segment) has a pretty good reputation these days.

The way the title is displayed, it sounds like the Note 7 killed the guy xD! Misleading :l

Groomlake Authority