which power supply is better

Jed Gabriel
1 minute ago, Jed Gabriel said:

Corsair vs450
or
Seasonic s12II 520 watts
??

No contest, S12II

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

No contest. The Seasonic wins by a 1st round K.O xD

Just now, Jed Gabriel said:

how about thecorsair cx500 vs seasonic?

What components will they be powering?

Other than that - Seasonic (if you are opting to go with 80+ Bronze rated PSUs)

5 minutes ago, Jed Gabriel said:

The s12ii is still better.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, Jed Gabriel said:

rx 460
i3 6100
2x4 gb or rams
120gb ssd
1tb hdd or 500gb

A decent entry-level budget build, the Seasonic unit is superior to those Corsair ones in basically every way.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

15 minutes ago, Jed Gabriel said:

Corsair vs450
or
Seasonic s12II 520 watts
??

Seasonic by far

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Seasonic.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

11 minutes ago, Jed Gabriel said:

The S12II would still be better.

16 minutes ago, Jed Gabriel said:

I would take the Seasonic S12II-B 520w over the Corsair CX500 / M.

The Corsair CX450M may be a contender though for your build though (It's an updated and superior version of the CX series. The one with the grey label).

The green label CX(M) units (CX430M, CX500M, CX600M) aren't terrible units and won't blow up instantly, and I've used them before without any issue (not for any gaming PCs, mind you). The S12II-B is simply better here, though.

The silver/grey CXM units (CX450M, CX550M, etc.) are newer, better units, which then I'd get whichever is cheapest and has enough power for your needs. Usually the CX450M costs slightly less or around the same as the S12II-B, but if you need more than 450 W, the CX550M may cost around the same as the S12II-B or somewhat more depending on where you're buying it from. Amazon, for instance, has the CX450Ms listed for $45, which if you have Prime (thus free two day shipping), this is an amazing deal. The CX550M and S12II-B both cost $60 at Amazon, but at Newegg, the CX550M costs $80 while the S12II-B still costs $60. If you use Newegg, the better deal is just obvious.

I'm not even sure why Corsair is selling the older green units, as they aren't any cheaper.

5 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

I'm not even sure why Corsair is selling the older green units, as they aren't any cheaper than the newer, better ones.

The older CX-M units are discontinued, but there still may be a lot of units within each store warehouse as well as at Corsair distributor, so it may take a while for them to completely sell out. I've seen the original CX400 being sold for more than a year after they have been replaced by the ones build by CWT.

Oh, and Jonny (Corsair's PSU manager) stated that the non-modular version of the new CX models should be out by sometime the end of this year.

I'd go with the S12ii (or maybe see if the M12ii is still on promo), very good solid PSU that will do for that build fine :D

i AM A TASTY NUUUUUB!!!!! 

Original question: the S12 is better. 

Later questions about the new CXM series: the grey logo CX units are very good. I'm still partial to avoiding sleeve bearing fans in PSUs so the S12 would still be my pick, but most people would be fine with the CXM.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||