Seasonic S12II-620 or Corsair CXM 550W?

TerTer

Which one would be better to choose for new build?

Build here: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/w4r89W

Seasonic S12II-620 620W 80 Plus Bronze or Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Thank you for answers

they are in the same tier of psu. so i would choose the cheaper one or the higher wattage one, no difference other than that.

3 minutes ago, tlink said:

they are in the same tier of psu. so i would choose the cheaper one or the higher wattage one, no difference other than that.

The Corsair CX550M offer better voltage stability and full support for C6/C7 sleep state due it utilizing DC-DC for the minor rails. While the Seasonic does offer a 2BB fan and better cap selection.

I personally would go with the CX550M for DC-DC than going for the old, 5+ years group-regulated design. Either way, both the Seasonic and Corsair would be more than plenty for such a system. The OP can go for the CX450M or Seasonic S12II-B 430w unit as well, if he wish to save money.

14 minutes ago, quan289 said:

The Corsair CX550M offer better voltage stability and full support for C6/C7 sleep state due it utilizing DC-DC for the minor rails. While the Seasonic does offer a 2BB fan and better cap selection.

I personally would go with the CX550M for DC-DC than going for the old, 5+ years group-regulated design. Either way, both the Seasonic and Corsair would be more than plenty for such a system. The OP can go for the CX450M or Seasonic S12II-B 430w unit as well, if he wish to save money.

Seasonic is MUCH better. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

550 watts is all you need so go with whichever one is cheapest.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

3 hours ago, TerTer said:

Seasonic S12II-620 620W 80 Plus Bronze or Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Thank you for answers

Both are solid, although I'd get the S12 for the peace of mind knowing it doesn't have a sleeve bearing fan. Both are good however.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 1 year later...

First of all dont get confused from the brand Seasonic! Seasonic has reputation because of its higher wattage models. A S12II (620 and less) is no better than the new CX650M (Gray). S12II AND M12II are now tier 4 PSUs according to now-a-days ratings and Corsair CXM series belong to tier 3.

I am no Corsair fan! i'm just talking sense! Seasonic is old, noisy, ugly-looking, expensive while Corsair is cheap, better looking, modern, dc-dc features, and easily available too

Iknow this reply is too late but  i am adding this reply for future researchers

Also CXM offers best price-wise-performance according to the tomshardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

On 16.9.2016 at 3:20 PM, TerTer said:

Thank you for answers

There is no reason whatsoever to even think about the S12II-BRONZE at all.

IF we are talking about the 750/850W version, maybe. But then again, you want a better unit instead, if you don't need the wattage.

And if you need it (=dual GPU Setup) you have the money for a good Platinum PSU anyway...

Back to the two PSU:
The Seasonic unit revs the fan up to 2000rpm or even more under 'normal load' and normal Ambient Temperatures, they lied on the earlier versions on the Product label (printed 2 +12V Rails with 17A each on it but didn't have a supervisior IC that supports that claim). In a later revision they fixed the label and put a Hong Hua FDB fan inside. But not much else was changed.

The Plattform is a rather cheaply looking double forward group regulation thing you can get way cheaper from other manufacturers with a similar layout. 

And the caps don't make this unit any better because we do not know the lifetime calculation of the unit, if the caps are the weak point or not.

In the recent weeks I've seen the +5VSB Chip exploding on some units before the caps are a problem.

Also other things like FETs or Resistors could fail. So what good does those Caps do if we don't know if they offer any benefit at all?!
Its just Marketing!

And for that you get one of the worst unit in that price range!

Most competitor units are quieter under load, offer independent voltage regulation, just use entry level caps...

On 16.9.2016 at 3:33 PM, quan289 said:

The older ones did have a 2BB fan, the newer ones have an FDB fan.

But all that is not really important.

And the "better cap selection" is something that might have been done just for marketing purpose. See above...

The Problem with caps is that we don't know how they are used and in what enviroment they are used. 

How hot do they get? What Ripple Current do they have to endure?
In some more modern units you have like 3 or 4 caps in parallel in +12V rail...

On 16.9.2016 at 3:47 PM, Abdul201588 said:

Seasonic is MUCH better. 

No, it is not.

Why do people thing that?!

Especially in an area where YOU could get all the components needed from Mouser and Digikey...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

12 hours ago, Ankit Saiyan said:

First of all dont get confused from the brand Seasonic! Seasonic has reputation because of its higher wattage models. A S12II (620 and less) is no better than the new CX650M (Gray). S12II AND M12II are now tier 4 PSUs according to now-a-days ratings and Corsair CXM series belong to tier 3.

I am no Corsair fan! i'm just talking sense! Seasonic is old, noisy, ugly-looking, expensive while Corsair is cheap, better looking, modern, dc-dc features, and easily available too

Iknow this reply is too late but  i am adding this reply for future researchers

Also CXM offers best price-wise-performance according to the tomshardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

34 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

There is no reason whatsoever to even think about the S12II-BRONZE at all.

IF we are talking about the 750/850W version, maybe. But then again, you want a better unit instead, if you don't need the wattage.

And if you need it (=dual GPU Setup) you have the money for a good Platinum PSU anyway...

Back to the two PSU:
The Seasonic unit revs the fan up to 2000rpm or even more under 'normal load' and normal Ambient Temperatures, they lied on the earlier versions on the Product label (printed 2 +12V Rails with 17A each on it but didn't have a supervisior IC that supports that claim). In a later revision they fixed the label and put a Hong Hua FDB fan inside. But not much else was changed.

The Plattform is a rather cheaply looking double forward group regulation thing you can get way cheaper from other manufacturers with a similar layout. 

And the caps don't make this unit any better because we do not know the lifetime calculation of the unit, if the caps are the weak point or not.

In the recent weeks I've seen the +5VSB Chip exploding on some units before the caps are a problem.

Also other things like FETs or Resistors could fail. So what good does those Caps do if we don't know if they offer any benefit at all?!
Its just Marketing!

And for that you get one of the worst unit in that price range!

Most competitor units are quieter under load, offer independent voltage regulation, just use entry level caps...

The older ones did have a 2BB fan, the newer ones have an FDB fan.

But all that is not really important.

And the "better cap selection" is something that might have been done just for marketing purpose. See above...

The Problem with caps is that we don't know how they are used and in what enviroment they are used. 

How hot do they get? What Ripple Current do they have to endure?
In some more modern units you have like 3 or 4 caps in parallel in +12V rail...

No, it is not.

Why do people thing that?!

Especially in an area where YOU could get all the components needed from Mouser and Digikey...

Why are you guys commenting on this post? Its 2 years old..

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

38 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Why are you guys commenting on this post? Its 2 years old..

Because what you said is wrong and this topic is still going today...

There are still too many people saying shit like "Take the Seasonic!!11" even if the Seasonic one is the worse one or even recommend the S12II-BRONZE series...

And its not 2 Years...
There is still 7 Months (OK, 6,5) for September

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because what you said is wrong and this topic is still going today...

There are still too many people saying shit like "Take the Seasonic!!11" even if the Seasonic one is the worse one or even recommend the S12II-BRONZE series...

And its not 2 Years...
There is still 7 Months (OK, 6,5) for September

Calm down.. as @STRMfrmXMN mentioned, the SeaSonic is the best out of the 2.

Stop making up rules, I don't care if its "not 2 years".. you cannot continue with this thread

@leadeater could you lock this thread? 

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

Calm down.. as @STRMfrmXMN mentioned, the SeaSonic is the best out of the 2.

That's sort of totally wrong, though. But yeah, this thread should be locked

:)

Why was this post resurrected from the dead? Two years ago I'd have preferred the Seasonic. Nowadays I'd prefer the CX. I'm gonna report the thread and hope it's locked xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||