Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to be released on Linux and Mac

Feral Interactive, a publisher of Mac and Linux games, announced that Deus Ex Mankind Divided will be released on both OS' at a later date.

There are no technical details so far, other than the game will use the Metal API on OSX. Considering the game is out in beta on DX12 and will use Metal, another low level API, it is expected to be released on Vulkan on Linux. Especially since OpenGL in it's current form is a mess of obsolete, redundant code, and utter useless by today's standard.

I asked Feral for confirmation about the Linux port, but they could not confirm (nor deny) at this point.

A mini site has been released for this release, at https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/games/deusexmd/story/

By the looks of the company they do not seem to actually be handling the porting of the game. As Nixxes only does Direct X ports at this point in time, it's doubtful that they will be behind it, especially taking their "experience" with DX12 into account (Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

So I can only assume the 3 Linux users that actually play games on Linux will be extatic. Are you looking forward to this? Even if it is not in steam?

Sources:

https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/games/deusexmd/story/

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I would be one of the linux uses if more games actually support linux. With the way windows is going it would be nice to switch to a more open ecosystem.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I can see Linux support, but not for OS X. Apple doesn't support OpenGL past 4.3 anymore, and I haven't heard of anybody making anything noteworthy with Metal yet. So I'm interested as to how they're going to make the game run decent in OS X.

I don't know if OS X support is really worth it, since Macs don't have really good GPUs, but Linux support? Yes please.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

How many Mac's actually have a good enough GPU to play this game? xD

But seriously, this is good news. I also hope it's Vulkan, and not OpenGL.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

24 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

well it's running on metal, maybe it could reach the cinematic 30fps on a mac pro XP

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

28 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Some of them do have the GPU but it might start making sizzling sounds and smelling like burnt electronics right away.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's a bit weird, why use three different APIs? I mean isn't Vulkan supported by all of those platforms?

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Some of them do have the GPU but it might start making sizzling sounds and smelling like burnt electronics right away.

Oh I know that many macs come with GPU's, but most of them are, erm, pretty low end :P

6 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

well it's running on metal, maybe it could reach the cinematic 30fps on a mac pro XP

Any idea how the Mac FirePro drivers are for gaming? Since some of those FirePro's are pretty damn beastly.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Oh I know that many macs come with GPU's, but most of them are, erm, pretty low end :P

Any idea how the Mac FirePro drivers are for gaming? Since some of those FirePro's are pretty damn beastly.

I have no clue how good are for gaming but seriously speaking, they maybe could reach 60fps with decent quality.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

2 minutes ago, as96 said:

That's a bit weird, why use three different APIs? I mean isn't Vulkan supported by all of those platforms?

Apple is not supporting Vulkan at all, and developers cant run Vulkan on Mac OS until Apple supports it, or somehow let outsider do the job but well, they need Apple's cert for that.

Just now, AlexGoesHigh said:

Apple is not supporting Vulkan at all, and developers cant run Vulkan on Mac OS until Apple supports it, or somehow let outsider do the job but well, they need Apple's cert for that.

Oh I didn't know that, I thought Vulkan was supposed to be supported by Mac

Just now, AlexGoesHigh said:

I have no clue how good are for gaming but seriously speaking, they maybe could reach 60fps with decent quality.

I wouldn't be surprised. Especially if Mac Pro's got the Hawaii/Grenada based FirePro's. I know they had the Tahiti based ones. My HD 7950 is still going strong, albeit not high end anymore.

Just now, as96 said:

Oh I didn't know that, I thought Vulkan was supposed to be supported by Mac

Well The Kronos Group designed it to be compatible with Mac OS in theory. So it's all on Apple at this point.

41 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I actually used the D700 FirePros, they're rather good. But only ar 280X levels of performance.

Also what people fail to realise is that this is not the first AAA game Feral has ported to Macs. They're really good at it.

Sadly the Mac Pro line has not been updated since late 2013. :(

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Valentyn said:

I actually used the D700 FirePros, they're rather good. But only ar 280X levels of performance.

Also what people fail to realise is that this is not the first AAA game Feral has ported to Macs. They're really good at it.

Oh I know that Mac OS X does have some AAA, I'm just poking fun at their lackluster GPU selection :P

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Oh I know that Mac OS X does have some AAA, I'm just poking fun at their lackluster GPU selection :P

Well if someone is still using one of the older Mac Pros, 2009-2012 they can just slap in a Titan X if they wanted.

I personally replaced my ancient GT 120 with a 660 GTX, and then a 780 after that. 
Apple actually bake in drivers, and NVIDIA release up to date drivers within a month or two usually, to just use "PC" hardware.

10 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Well if someone is still using one of the older Mac Pros, 2009-2012 they can just slap in a Titan X if they wanted.

I personally replaced my ancient GT 120 with a 660 GTX, and then a 780 after that. 
Apple actually bake in drivers, and NVIDIA release up to date drivers within a month or two usually, to just use "PC" hardware.

what about driver support in OSX? I thought is was minimal.

My dad just bought a 2012 Mac Pro its nice, he uses it for music production and its faster then his old Mac mini. If you can find one for a good price they are still awesome machines (OSX or Windows)

https://soundcloud.com/robin-benjamins If anyone wants to check out his songs.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

33 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

what about driver support in OSX? I thought is was minimal.

My dad just bought a 2012 Mac Pro its nice, he uses it for music production and its faster then his old Mac mini. If you can find one for a good price they are still awesome machines (OSX or Windows)

https://soundcloud.com/robin-benjamins If anyone wants to check out his songs.

Driver support for NVIDIA GPUs is really good. Apple puts a lot of effort in there, and so does NVIDIA.

OS X uses a unified driver for GPUs so Quadros and GeForce cards use the same one.

Have a look through this thread about compatibility and drivers. There's also folks there that make custom BIOSs for the cards to work perfectly with OS X as well.

He can also upgrade the CPUs if he doesn't have the top end 6 cores yet.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-about-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Driver support for NVIDIA GPUs is really good. Apple puts a lot of effort in there, and so does NVIDIA.

OS X uses a unified driver for GPUs so Quadros and GeForce cards use the same one.

Have a look through this thread about compatibility and drivers. There's also folks there that make custom BIOSs for the cards to work perfectly with OS X as well.

He can also upgrade the CPUs if he doesn't have the top end 6 cores yet.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-about-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

he has the top 6 core and 64GB of ram, I think it has a SSD boot drive but not sure, and a 7850 I think.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

he has the top 6 core and 64GB of ram, I think it has a SSD boot drive but not sure, and a 7850 I think.

For the SSD he can move it to an PCIe card like the Apricorn Velocity X2, which removes the SATA 2  bottleneck. That way the SSD can run at full speeds as well.

If he can install OS X 10.10 he can also use a GTX 980, those need the latest NVIDIA web drivers, which are in the link I provided.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

IIRC driver support for FirePros actually isn't bad. That said, the highest-end cards available only on Apple's highest-end computer (ie. the FirePro D700s in the Mac Pro) are only on par with crossfired R9 280Xs :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?