Dell Inspiron 17 7000 Review

First, sorry had to do it. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Not first!

Cheers Nick!

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

17" is for plebs

18.4" Galaxy View is where it's at. 

http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-view-features-and-specs/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Linus you forget not all regions carry the 17 inch model

The highest in Asia is only the 15 Inch model and comes with a GTX960M 4GB GDDR5 still OK for light to med gaming

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I can somewhat tell you that the convertible laptop idea sounds nice and all, but it's kind of useless. Speaking from experience, my TP300LA might be able to fold into a tablet, but I only did that back when it was running 8.1. Now, I mostly use the 2 in 1 part for the touchscreen, which can feel more natural to use than the touchpad. 

We're all weird. Just in our own, unique way.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Student of game design, nerd and relative loner. Been playing on PC on and off since I could first sit at a keyboard.

Still trying to learn level 1 Fireball.

SPECS

Desktop (Batman): XPS 8300 - Intel i7-2600 - 8GB DDR3 1066 - Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Asus GeForce GTX 760 - Dual Dell 1080p monitors

Laptop (Nightwing): Asus TP300LA - Intel i5-4210u - 8GB DDR3 1666 - 500GB HDD - Intel HD 4400 - 1080p 13.3" touchscreen

I've never really gotten the purpose of 17 inch laptops. They're too huge to be portable. The only use case is if you work on the road a lot and want something to use in say, your hotel room to do proper work. But i'm not sure you'd be buying a laptop of this class if that was the case.

I have the 13" version, and even then the tablet made is unwieldy. However, every other aspect is pretty good, especially the temperature. Battery life is good, as well. It could be a good choice for a student needing a bit more power than that Chromebook. 

no thanks on the big laptops.. I had a 17" XP Media Center Edition HP back in the day.. and it was beastly at the time with its 540m quadro gpu :) .. never again though... i am now of the mind that properly cooled, thin, and light laptops are best for me (preferably with touch) .. if I need to game or serve up media? desktop is my recommendation ;)

"What else people even do on tablets?"

Well mostly the thing you haven't mentioned, as in browsing, which is really convenient on a good tablet, while you're not at a desk. Mind you, not on a 17'' ones... which happen to be a laptop. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Why the hate for USB 2? It is much better in the terms of compatibility, much less driver dependant and the only downside is the speed. When something just refuses to work, the last thing you care about is the speed.

With the lack of optical mechanics and easily removable HDDs, USB 2.0 is gr8. Having to unscrew the bottom of laptop, just to get to the HDD and placing the basic files with OS there stinks and some peripherals hate 3.0 even with drivers. To add to that, peripheral manufacturers often don´t really care about Linux and you could be just stuck.

Sure, most ppl don´t use Linux, but the guy who is trying to fix it will, and this saves a lot of time.

56 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Why the hate for USB 2? It is much better in the terms of compatibility, much less driver dependant and the only downside is the speed. When something just refuses to work, the last thing you care about is the speed.

With the lack of optical mechanics and easily removable HDDs, USB 2.0 is gr8. Having to unscrew the bottom of laptop, just to get to the HDD and placing the basic files with OS there stinks and some peripherals hate 3.0 even with drivers. To add to that, peripheral manufacturers often don´t really care about Linux and you could be just stuck.

Sure, most ppl don´t use Linux, but the guy who is trying to fix it will, and this saves a lot of time.

USB 2 and mouses are best combo ;) (USB 3.0 seems to add a tiny bit of input lag or something from my experience...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

At least it has a headphone jack... right??

But I lost it at that 2.0 USB port. . .

• 4 years later...

review the new one, I NEED to know if I can stuff more ram!

On 10/5/2020 at 3:52 PM, bellafectum said:

review the new one, I NEED to know if I can stuff more ram!

Please post video ideas to official suggestion thread:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv