can titan x(p) run 5k at 60fps?

Shivan
Go to solution Solved by kirby99_2016,

if you look at these overclocked benchmarks 1 gtx 1080 gets really close to gtx titan xp performance for less than half the price so if you do go fore SLI those games should scale pretty well with only a dual config

games-1080p-635x476.jpg

Thanks for responding. I have a 5k monitor and i want to have a graphics card for 5k

nope it only just manages it in 4k on some games

maybe at reduced settings it might scrape by

honestly no point doing a 4k build, in fact even 4k is possibly over kill, 1440p is pretty damn sharp and you can drive it at 144hz

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

4 of them manage 8k 60+fps tho 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

I would actually recommend maybe a dual 1080 set up (as long as your PSU can handle it) but not really because there are issues with SLI but depending on the game you could probably get higher fps/dollar than a gtx titan xp (it's not meant to be a gaming card anyways) just be cautious if you're going with SLI. :)

Just now, kirby99_2016 said:

I would actually recommend maybe a dual 1080 set up (as long as your PSU can handle it) but not really because there are issues with SLI but depending on the game you could probably get higher fps/dollar than a gtx titan xp (it's not meant to be a gaming card anyways) just be cautious if you're going with SLI. :)

thx

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say "no" outright.... titan XP has some SERIOUS overclocking headroom that most of the tubers and reviewers are not taking advantage of. Problem with that is that their coolers gotta be pretty outrageously loud in order to get there. (JayzTwoCents got his to 2050 MHz no problem and he said he could probably go further but temps were getting too high even at 100% fan speed, 77C).

If you're looking for a 5k 60 fps build you may want to consider SLI 1080's or maybe wait for a flagship AMD GPU (for its HBM memory). You're going to want the increased memory bandwidth as that is going to have a huge impact on your fps when you're at such a high resolution.

P.s. the OC'd titan XP was getting about 31k in firestrike graphics score (40%-50% better than the 1080). I know its a synthetic benchmark so it wont scale that well in the real world, but that is something to keep in mind.

4k should be fine, but 5K is a different story on ultra. Not sure if you lower settings, if the screen would have Gsync this would be situation where it shines for smooth gameplay.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Gonio said:

4k should be fine, but 5K is a different story on ultra. Not sure if you lower settings, if the screen would have Gsync this would be situation where it shines for smooth gameplay.

thx

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

-snip-

Overclocked SLI 1080's tough is preferable. Maybe SLI 1080 Hybrid cards from EVGA are the better option, getting 50 Cº on heavy workloads.

Groomlake Authority

if you look at these overclocked benchmarks 1 gtx 1080 gets really close to gtx titan xp performance for less than half the price so if you do go fore SLI those games should scale pretty well with only a dual config

games-1080p-635x476.jpg

2 minutes ago, kirby99_2016 said:

And what are their clock speeds? as i mentioned before, the titan XP has significant overclocking headroom on the card (so long as you have a good cooling solution for it or don't mind some noise).

Also It looks like the has a failure point in his benchmarking. It looks like his test bed, whatever it is he is running, is experiencing a CPU bottleneck in those games. I'm not trying to say that the Titan XP is for everyone, or that its even a good investment, but its DEFINITELY the better card (and by a pretty big margin). There is no reason for it to beat it by 33% in Fallout 4 and then tie with it in Forza Apex. That to me looks like a CPU bottleneck, and he gets that or close to that in several of his games (you could argue that in the real world you might get similar results because you might be using similar CPU's, but I would argue that isn't a fair comparison of the GPU's at that point).

You're not going to be using these cards at 1080p, so you're not going to be running into such CPU bottlenecks and your ACTUAL performance difference between the titan Xp and the 1080 is going to be pretty noticeable. Again, that doesn't mean everyone should go out and buy a titan XP... I'm just saying that chart and testing methodology is wrong and doesn't accurately compare the graphics cards.

The cpu used in these benchmarks was an i7 4770k so cpu bottlenecking isn't much of an issue furthermore I'm talking about putting TWO gtx 1080s since it is half the price of the titan so depending on scaling adds about 80-60% more fps IF the games he plays supports SLI. 

• EVGA Corporation Nvidia GTX 1080FE @ 2.05 Ghz Core / 11 Ghz Memory
  • Nvidia GTX Titan X Pascal @ 1.95 Ghz Core / 11 Ghz Memory
  • here's the overclocks on both gpus and the titan XP does not have many other cooling solutions available right now.
  • (although this is from WCCFTech so I don't know if this is utter BS or not XDDD)

32 minutes ago, kirby99_2016 said:

games-1080p-635x476.jpg

What Zyndo says about how it is tested is correct. If this is 1080p gaming (according to what I see) these are comparisons that don't give a correct picture for what OP is asking, and there for would also say that Best Answer is wrong and misinforming. Suggest to check bencmarks actuall comparing 1080 vs Titan X(p) at 4K and if they test framtime latency. Higher fps alone isn't the whole story. I see a significant and noticable average fps difference for all games.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

21 minutes ago, kirby99_2016 said:

The cpu used in these benchmarks was an i7 4770k so cpu bottlenecking isn't much of an issue

Yes. it is. He was straight up bottlenecking on your chart there in many instances. no way to argue it. his CPU wasn't strong enough in most of those games at such a low resolution in order to allow his GPU to pump out as many frames as it wanted too. his GPU was almost always waiting on his CPU and his CPU couldn't keep up.

furthermore I'm talking about putting TWO gtx 1080s since it is half the price of the titan so depending on scaling adds about 80-60% more fps IF the games he plays supports SLI

Well SLI 1080's will definitely be better when SLI is supported. I even recommended that to him earlier, especially for the increased memory bandwidth which is going to play a significant role at 5k. But there is also an argument to be had to just get the titan XP. 30%-ish better in EVERY situation may be preferable to 60%+ better in SOME situations. especially at such a hard workload of 5k. No sense in getting a GPU setup that runs well on some games and is an unplayable/undesireable experience on others. (though he could always turn some settings down.

• EVGA Corporation Nvidia GTX 1080FE @ 2.05 Ghz Core / 11 Ghz Memory
  • Nvidia GTX Titan X Pascal @ 1.95 Ghz Core / 11 Ghz Memory
  • here's the overclocks on both gpus and the titan XP does not have many other cooling solutions available right now.

the cards are the same architecture and running at similar speeds. When that happens it comes down to (basically) CUDA. the Titan XP has much more CUDA so its going to be much stronger (pretty much directly proportional to how much more CUDA it has). If his testing does not show this, or close to this within a small margin of error, then there is something fishy going on. Not to mention it has 50% more memory bandwidth, which is a big help at higher resolutions. EKWB also has full cover waterblocks available for the Titan XP if people want to go that route (although that just jacks the prices up even higher)

13 minutes ago, kirby99_2016 said:

there is also a 4k graph aswell

That would be worth seeting. maybe he got that graph correct.

@Shivan Fair warning that graph that you selected as the "best answer" is incorrect. It may be the results he got in his testing, but what you're seeing in that graph is not a comparison of two graphics cards, but an example of what CPU bottlenecking looks like. the titan XP is SIGNIFICANTLY better than a single gtx 1080. Its not better than two in SLI (when SLI is supported), but its quite a bit better than just 1 1080.

Just now, kirby99_2016 said:

ok well I hope this graph is right

games-2160p-635x476.jpg

well other than Forza on the titan XP (notice its 131 fps at 1080p and 131 fps at 4k? the GPU workload got much harder but the fps remained unchanged because the CPU cannot work any harder than 131 fps in that game) that looks much more accurate. Some games are closer than I think they should be, but that isn't entirely unreasonable as that is counter able with a better CPU like skylake or maybe a broadwell-E chip for some of the more CPU bound instances. But that chart definitely shows that the Titan XP is better in almost every situation by a pretty substantial margin (which it is).

1 minute ago, kirby99_2016 said:

holy crap I actually just got best answer for once? just let me sink that in before I get something wrong :(

well he could always upvote your 4k chart if you want. that one looks reliable and dependable =)

57 minutes ago, kirby99_2016 said:

These are benchmarks for 1080p.

4k tells a different story

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h