iTel Bonded Internet

If you treat LTE just like your typical wifi interface you could bond it but it is tricky as not all bonding modes would work well and its a question if its a layer 2 or layer 4 with load balancing over 2 connections which is what this thread is about.

It doesn't work... even if you treat it like a typical interface. You can bond the connections that does work, but it does not increase the speed and if it does it would be marginal if that.

For example if you have 4G LTE connection on Verizon and you get a 40 down and 20 up. at best you might see 41 down 22 up

but most of the time the speed is less. It appears there is too much overhead for this type of connection. And I think peplink does a poor job of bonding LTE connections

1 hour ago, 4GMaster said:

It doesn't work... even if you treat it like a typical interface. You can bond the connections that does work, but it does not increase the speed and if it does it would be marginal if that.

For example if you have 4G LTE connection on Verizon and you get a 40 down and 20 up. at best you might see 41 down 22 up

but most of the time the speed is less. It appears there is too much overhead for this type of connection. And I think peplink does a poor job of bonding LTE connections

Peplink SpeedFusion bonding incurs an overhead of approximately 19%.  This is calculated from the 80 bytes it adds per packet using Internet Mix (IMIX).  I don't believe it matters too much what the underlying technology is. 

I have one site using LTE with a Peplink, but unfortunately it's for smoothing, not increased bandwidth.

I do have a spare Peplink Balance 310 and I'm currently using an LTE connection, so if I can find an extra LTE router and SIM in the next few days, then I'll bond them and post my results.

2 hours ago, AlexMc said:

Peplink SpeedFusion bonding incurs an overhead of approximately 19%.  This is calculated from the 80 bytes it adds per packet using Internet Mix (IMIX).  I don't believe it matters too much what the underlying technology is. 

I have one site using LTE with a Peplink, but unfortunately it's for smoothing, not increased bandwidth.

I do have a spare Peplink Balance 310 and I'm currently using an LTE connection, so if I can find an extra LTE router and SIM in the next few days, then I'll bond them and post my results.

That would be great to see what results you get! Now bonding for increased speed does work with a LTE and wired connection, but I've never seen it work for LTE + LTE or 2 LTE connections. I even had peplink engineers try and help.. they couldn't ever get it to work. They said it was because I was using all the bandwith from the Tower... which I really doubt..

The only thing I could think of as to why possibly it doesn't work is because I'm using the same channel & freq.. and at the same time. But the LTE radios should be able negotiate different channels..

This is a great product and I know of people to have used similar to get great results. The problem is the underlining tech needs to be a sufficient level at a given location to have a benefit.

To give you an idea on what I mean I am in Australia metro approx 10min drive and 7km from the CBD in Perth and there are similar types of products available, but I can't really use them in my business. Firstly because of where my office is located the only fixed line internet I can get at a reasonable price is ADSL2+ through a RIM. I could get say 2 of these or 3 of these connections(I am told there is no more ports in the RIM for further connections though) but my upload speed would still only be 2 or 3mbit bonded as each ADSL2+ Connection would only add 1mbit upload. (Given they are on a RIM as well it's all a resold services that could be congested at that point).

In my efforts to get a faster upload speed I have looked at options like EOC which is basically bonded copper lines (we are too far for the actual exchange for this to work, multiple ISP's told me they just couldn't guarantee the connection no matter how many lines used) 

I have tried fiber quotes and the cost for the install is lets just say stupid and only then the cheapest 10mbit/10mibt link would cost approx $1200AUD per month(this does not included the install cost). I would basically loose approx half my download speed which is currently 18Mbit to gain in the upload speed for a silly install cost.

The silliness of this is my other office (about 80 Km south from the Perth CBD) has a Fiber connection that is 100Mbit/40mbit(I can get 100/100 or 200/100 there if I want for not much more) and it costs $90 per month.

To add insult to this less than 1 km away from my office, homes can get 100/40mbit for the same $80-90 AUD per month.

Yet my mobile phone can download/upload into the 100's of Mbit per second but the data allowance of any mobile plans in Aus that don't restrict the uploads to 1mbit is unworkable.

I literally have no choice but to deal with it and wait until an ISP has some service I can access that isn't silly money and can be factored into the business cost. I wish there was VDSL or some tech similar to bond to effectively get a workable solution like Linus has at home but sadly I am out of options.

Still great video and I do like what this means for in-between connections. :)

I'm really confused, isn't this just aggregating two separate lines together? People have been doing this for years without needing a fancy specific box. I know both JayzTwoCents and Barnacules have multiple aggregated lines.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

9 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I'm really confused, isn't this just aggregating two separate lines together? People have been doing this for years without needing a fancy specific box. I know both JayzTwoCents and Barnacules have multiple aggregated lines.

From my understanding its not like simple load balancing solution with a simple box In Barnacules case I assume you refer to this video:

This is load balancing and can stack depending on the traffic to give you a total increase in speed (normally only if the traffic works with multiple threads/connections). However this box Linus reviews works differently, It is basically like a VPN client box that creates 2 VPN connections via each internet connection to a VPN server hosted in a local data centre. It then aggregates the packets on the fly from each connection and presents itself as a single WAN interface you can then hook up a router to your IP address becomes the IP assigned to you by the VPN server in the data centre. I hope that makes sense.

• 1 year later...

is it posible to connect 2 "4g LTE router" with this combiner?

2018 Update.

I can do this with my 2 different ISP on my home office, just use a openVPN on my VPS my pfsense router and my 2 nic's withdown paying more or use only 1 ISP. am bonding my 2mbps (isp 1) speed with my 2ish mbps(isp2) speed and download steam update at 4mbps even 5 mbps in the nights (just a video recomendation or video update 2018)

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2016 at 2:49 AM, zMeul said:

HOLLY WHAT WHO IS YOUR ISP PROVIDER? Comcast?

8$/month:

5629681337.png

• unlimited traffic
  • two WiFi accounts for use around the country where they have public hot spots
  • two e-mail addresses
  • dynamic DNS

On 9/14/2016 at 2:49 AM, zMeul said:

How do you get that fast of a connection over Mobile Data?

8$/month:

5629681337.png

• unlimited traffic
  • two WiFi accounts for use around the country where they have public hot spots
  • two e-mail addresses
  • dynamic DNS

On 9/14/2016 at 2:24 AM, nicklmg said:

How do I get faster INTERNET with a normal INTERNET provider. NOT MOBILE DATA. I am on fiber right now. What I am trying to figure out is why I am getting only 300-500 Mb/s. When I am paying 150 a month to have 1000 Mb/s. I also want my Wifi to actually be able to go all around my house. Not that big 37,000 square feet. Wifi can support those speeds. I just need to figure out the best way to do it.

Do you want some of the creature comforts of a business internet line, but don't want to pay the ridiculous price most cable companies offer? There may be another way...

• 6 months later...

how about a review for multi-cellular-router ?

https://www.peplink.com/products/max-cellular-router/multi-cellular/#MFA

• 11 months later...
On 9/17/2016 at 11:42 PM, 4GMaster said:

A few thoughts for the Record...

Linus Great Video! But I dare you & challenge to you... Try bonding LTE, it doesn't work! Nope..I'm a Wireless Network Engineer and I've never seen anybody that's been able to bond a LTE connection for increased speed. I've tried with several big name providers like Peplink doesn't work. Try finding a LTE bonding video where the speeds are increased? You won't find it, it doesn't exist.

Linus you could be like the Great Mythbusters of Tech, this would be an excellent experiment. See how fast of a 4G mobile connection you can get. Think about how cool it would be to fluidly live stream etc.. It's like see how fast you can drive a Ferrari but it's a geek way of Need for Speed. So continuing on with my rant... For example I have a solid Verizon XLTE or LTE-A connection I easily & consistently get 40Mbps down and 20 Mps up. I've tried Peplink routers with their service and I actually got slower speeds with 2 bonded connections than 1 LTE connection. It's the nature of how the LTE technology works. I've tested this extensively for months but it's a false claim. Sure wired connections work, but bonding LTE connections for speed, does not work.

I would love to see someone getting this to work. The sad part is not even peplink could make it work.... So I don't believe any claims that LTE bonding works, yea you might get like a few extra Mbps in speeds, if that, but it doesn't perform anything like a wired connection. Try it sometime! And if anyone can prove me work hats off to you. For those of you interested in this topic check Multi Path TCP/IP it's a Bonding like protocol.

Finally In 2020, looks like it's now possible to get a speed boost using two LTE connections.

I'm currently using a ZBT WG3526 mobile router running OpenWRT (ROOTer version OfModemAndMen) + MWAN3, with two Tmobile LTE connections of around 60Mbps each down, and 30Mbps up.  Using Free Download Manager, whenever I download files which are automatically divided into 10 download segments, I get around 100Mbps down consistently, not exactly double of 60Mbps due to some overhead, but definitely much faster.  While technically not true channel bonding, it's giving a significant speed boost on file downloads, and even web pages seem to pop up faster.  Obviously I can't speak for carriers other than Tmobile, but there you have it, and answer to a challenge put out some 4 years ago... it just took a while. ;)

Since this setup houses the two LTE modems attached directly to the OpenWRT main board (as /dev/ttyUSB0-1), I believe that may have something to do with the packet routing, thus a speed increase.  You can read more about this method at > https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/multiwan/mwan3