Good long lasting mouse for FPS gaming?

crystal6tak

Hey all! Looking for a high quality long lasting gaming mouse. (2 side button is enough, another 2 on the other side max)

Current mouse is a Deathadder Chroma (which I got as a replacement for my Deathadder 2014, which I got as a replacement for my Deathadder BE :P)

Started to double click, warranty expired, time for a new mouse, hopefully one that lasts longer than my Deathadders...

As the title stated, I mostly play FPS (Mostly Overwatch and TF2 recently) and would like a high end sensor or whatever it is in a mouse. I don't follow mouse tech much.

Currently have my eye on the Logitech G403 Prodigy Wired. Physically similar to the Deathadder and I hear the hardware and build quality is top end as well.

I'd like to hear other thoughts before I just preorder the G403, is there any other mouse I should consider? I hear Zowie make good ones, so many different models though.

lol I have a deathadder too and it had problems too, I'm waiting for the logitech gaming pro, It's available in the US I think

Why the obsscesion with High end sensor? you don't even need more than 4K DPI for FPS.

Pros of Cs go use up to 3KDPI when playing it why would you a regular player need more? i suggest buy a the one you like and don't care about the DPI since you won't really notice the difference. Also more DPI means less precision since the point of the mouse travels faster. Why waste on 10KDPI if 3K DPI does the same job? wasting money because you belive in a lie or because it has LEDS? Doesn't make it sence but it's your choice i am just trying to advice you.

Spoiler

MOBO - ASUS EX -320M GamingMemory - Gskill Aegis 2x 8gb 2133mhz - GPU - Asus Phoenix GTX 1660 - CPU - AMD Ryzen  5 2600 3.9Ghz 65W - Case - Eurotech Slayer RX6 Elite Main SSD M.2 NVME - Blueray 120GB - SSD - Hyper X Fury MLC 120GB   - PSU - Seasonic M12ll 620W 80+ Bronze Full Modular  -

12 hours ago, Rushdownpvp said:

lol I have a deathadder too and it had problems too, I'm waiting for the logitech gaming pro, It's available in the US I think

I prefer more ergonomic shape, so I'd choose the G403 over the G Pro if it comes down to that.

8 hours ago, FTRGameplays said:

Why the obsscesion with High end sensor? you don't even need more than 4K DPI for FPS.

Pros of Cs go use up to 3KDPI when playing it why would you a regular player need more? i suggest buy a the one you like and don't care about the DPI since you won't really notice the difference. Also more DPI means less precision since the point of the mouse travels faster. Why waste on 10KDPI if 3K DPI does the same job? wasting money because you belive in a lie or because it has LEDS? Doesn't make it sence but it's your choice i am just trying to advice you.

I don't care much about DPI, I do however care about the accuracy, I don't know how that's benchmarked in the mouse tech world.

There are other things in a mouse which I don't know how to research for still, such as movement latency and click latency. Both of which I was surprised how far behind my Deathadder Chroma was compared to G900 (video here)  (Like seriously, click latency 10.9ms on my Chroma, while G900 wireless gets 4.3ms?!?!)

So yea, any recommendation for mouse? Or where on earth to find benchmarks for them?

11 hours ago, crystal6tak said:

I prefer more ergonomic shape, so I'd choose the G403 over the G Pro if it comes down to that.

I don't care much about DPI, I do however care about the accuracy, I don't know how that's benchmarked in the mouse tech world.

There are other things in a mouse which I don't know how to research for still, such as movement latency and click latency. Both of which I was surprised how far behind my Deathadder Chroma was compared to G900 (video here)  (Like seriously, click latency 10.9ms on my Chroma, while G900 wireless gets 4.3ms?!?!)

So yea, any recommendation for mouse? Or where on earth to find benchmarks for them?

My Logitech G9X finally went wonky a couple weeks ago after 7 years of service and I bought a Corsair M65RGB Pro to replace it. I also primarily play FPSes and it does very well. The body is pretty tall and the sides are nicely curved and grippy, so it's comfortable for both clawing and palming. The sniper button is pretty useful for me, and I use it quite often in-game. The only complaint I would have is the placement of the profile switcher, and may be fiddly to change in-game.

Here's a pretty good review of the mouse that partially influenced my purchase decision:

5 hours ago, crystal6tak said:

Well, a combination out of several things, Resolution Error (aka, Speed related Accuracy Variance, "Acceleration" etc.), Malfunction speed(obv. not really relevant anymore), Angle Error(Deviation from the actual physical path), Noise(Jitter) and:

5 hours ago, crystal6tak said:

Which is also a topic in itself as click latency is affected by the debounce time, the way Logitech does it is 4ms for the on state and ~20ms for the off state, others for example use one value for both, it is also a cheap trick to increase "switch lifetime", like for example Corsair and Zowie have done with ~30ms debounce times.

As for motion latency, well, depends also on the firmware and chosen MCU besides chosen sensor, Logitechs Package out of 3366 and ARM obv. brings the lowest latencies, but soemtimes others can come close as well, like Roccats KPM(manipulated SROM), Kiro, R100, and other 3360´s, altough the Revel and DM1 Pro S are closer to the 3988´s due to their cheap MCU, in general 3988 and 3310 are slow(the KPM beign an exception due to a manipulated SROM), with the Torq X5o and the Hori Edge being the fastest i have tested followed by the DA. You can also see that a pattern emerges with mostly ARM mcu´s being in that Region, while not a replacement for proper firmware, it certainly helps, which is also why i tend to rant about Zowie mice which are using enCore III from 2006, and therefore have the expected performance.

Top 3 fps mice:

Zowie ec2 A - $80

Steelseries rival 300 - 50

Aforementioned death adder.  - 80

Just choose one. All are great, my favorite is the rival 300. You can get a smaller version called the rival 100 for $30 if you have baby hands or claw/fingertip. 

- snip-

7 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Top 3 fps mice:

Zowie ec2 A - $80

Steelseries rival 300 - 50

Aforementioned death adder.  - 80

Just choose one. All are great, my favorite is the rival 300. You can get a smaller version called the rival 100 for $30 if you have baby hands or claw/fingertip. 

It should be noted the Zowie mice are not long lasting, the wheels are poorly made but its not the only longevity issue they have. Been through 4 now in a little over 4 years.

19 hours ago, Magnetorheological said:

My Logitech G9X finally went wonky a couple weeks ago after 7 years of service and I bought a Corsair M65RGB Pro to replace it. I also primarily play FPSes and it does very well. The body is pretty tall and the sides are nicely curved and grippy, so it's comfortable for both clawing and palming. The sniper button is pretty useful for me, and I use it quite often in-game. The only complaint I would have is the placement of the profile switcher, and may be fiddly to change in-game.

Here's a pretty good review of the mouse that partially influenced my purchase decision:

My G9 just failed after 9 (!) years of fantastic service and that's the exact mouse I was looking into getting. It has the same basic shape as the G9 and I like that one big dedicated sniper button. Glad to hear another G9 fan likes it so much. Though, it would be great if Logitech revived the G9 design, I loved that mouse so much for so long, goodbye old friend. 

2 hours ago, BrightCandle said:

It should be noted the Zowie mice are not long lasting, the wheels are poorly made but its not the only longevity issue they have. Been through 4 now in a little over 4 years.

How did they break? My fk2 lasted me a good 2.5years, and still works fine. Bought a za13 a couple of months ago due to the shape being awesome.

Mouse threads on here always seem to be filled with Razer and Logitech recommendations, needs more Zowie!! 

2 hours ago, HolyMustard said:

My G9 just failed after 9 (!) years of fantastic service and that's the exact mouse I was looking into getting. It has the same basic shape as the G9 and I like that one big dedicated sniper button. Glad to hear another G9 fan likes it so much. Though, it would be great if Logitech revived the G9 design, I loved that mouse so much for so long, goodbye old friend. 

Yeah, the M65 felt the most similar, and is better in the fact that it's slightly taller than the G9, making it more comfortable for me. I tried out the newer Logitechs like the G502 and G303 but they just didn't feel right...a bit narrow for my liking since I'm used to the G9 with the wide grip.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

Mouse threads on here always seem to be filled with Razer and Logitech recommendations, needs more Zowie!! 

Deathadder-the pride of gaming mices

Logitech-Their optical sensors are great and are some of the best you can get (or they've added extra hardware such as an accelerometer/gyroscope to make their mice have better tracking, G402 looking at you...it has a sensor that has a relatively low max speed it can track at but the accelerometer kicks in when ever you go past it so...it's able to keep up with the fastest flicks :P)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

G403 is pretty similar to your Deathadder so the transition should be easy with the added bonus of being a slight sensor upgrade. Be warned though that a lot of people are complaining about loose scroll wheels on that mouse.