Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Samsung being sued by constructor worker suffering burns from exploding Galaxy S7 Edge (not the Note)

Ramirez.phone_.jpg

The story started back on May 30th, when a Daniel Ramirez from Akron, Ohio, in the US. He is  A construction worker who had this Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge in his pocket, and it exploded causing sever burns to his skin.  There is an image of his leg burned, but I won't share it due to the graphical imagery. His phone was working great initially. He bought it 2 months ago. He says that right before the explosion, he heard high-pitched whistling noise, and before he can figure out where it was coming from, the phone exploded in his pocket.

Ramirez tried to get the phone out of his pocket when it exploded, but it was so hot, he could not. The intense heat melted his clothes to his body, as he was pulling off his pants. The damage done to him was so great that he is still in rehab.

Ars Technica reports:

On May 30, construction worker Daniel Ramirez was working at a site in Akron, Ohio, when he heard a strange noise coming from his pocket, which contained the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge he'd bought just two months earlier. "It was like a high-pitched whistling noise," Ramirez's attorney, Mike Morgan, said in an interview with Ars. "After that there was an explosion, like a loud bang." Ramirez tried to get the phone out of his pocket, but succeeded only in burning his fingertips. "It melted his clothes to his body, so he had to strip down," Morgan said. "By that time, the damage had been done."

Samsung is doing a recall, but that is for the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, where one of the options to get a replacement is to get the S7 Edge.

The worker isn't requesting a specif amount of money, but rather for the company to be punished for selling unsafe phones. Ars says:

Ramirez hasn't requested a specific amount of damages at this point. The lawsuit accuses Samsung of selling unsafe phones, negligence, breach of warranty, and violating New Jersey consumer protection laws.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/09/construction-worker-sues-samsung-after-suffering-burns-from-exploding-phone/

(Warning: Link contains a graphical image)

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

Wow. 

Edited by GoodBytes
Quote shrunked due to large length

Mark 16: 15

“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCownI-zKOn2iXg9M5u2aApw

My Rig:

CPU: R7 1700

MOBO: Asrock ab350 Pro4

RAM: 8gb (2x4) Corsair 2666 ddr4

STORAGE: 1tb Toshiba HDD; 120 GB Toshiba SSD

GPU: GTX 1080 modded to be hybrid

PSU: CX750M

PERIPHERALS: Logitech G910; G502; Beyerdynamic DT 770; ModMic; Samsung 49in Ultrawide

CASE: Custom Wall Mounted

Other Devices:

iPad Pro 11 inch w/ Pencil

iPhone 11

Samsung Galaxy S8

Nintendo Switch

Shit, samsung are not getting good press

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well I know if you piece the battery on an s7 it will ignite, so there could have been a tear in the battery casing from the phone getting hit or something, though either way that isn't acceptable for a phone regardless of circumstance 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

7 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Well I know if you piece the battery on an s7 it will ignite, so there could have been a tear in the battery casing from the phone getting hit or something, though either way that isn't acceptable for a phone regardless of circumstance 

I doubt so. I mean, what ever hit the phone, I think he would have noticed. From videos showing exploding lithium-ion battery, there should be enougth time to notice from the shock form the hit (I mean it needs to pass thorough the phone casing and battery cells) and, have at least the time to pull the phone out to check it, before it ignites in his hand.

And based on the pictures of the phone (which you can see form the lawsuit document here: https://www.classaction.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2016/09/Samsung-PDF.pdf in lovely monochrome), you can see that there is nothing that would suggest something hit the phone.

Oh boy. Seems like their stock might plummet even more. 

Also @GoodBytes, typo. :P

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The damage done to him was so great that he need he is still in rehab.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

good thing i abandon ship after the note 4

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

If you follow the news samsung note 7 is FORBIDDEN on ALL airplanes :D:D:D:D

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

Wow this sure sucks.

So when are those new type of batteries coming it was mentioned a while back. The ones that have double the capacity in same physical size and are not dangerous and are also supposedly to come next year or so? Give!

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

Wow.  I wonder who the battery supplier is, and if the same company made the battery in my devices.

Lithium batteries are dangerous, but this kind of thing should not happen.  Samsung owes it's customers a duty of care.  Under tort law they are definitely going to be making some big payouts.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

19 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Wow.  I wonder who the battery supplier is, and if the same company made the battery in my devices.

Lithium batteries are dangerous, but this kind of thing should not happen.  Samsung owes it's customers a duty of care.  Under tort law they are definitely going to be making some big payouts.

Samsung is one of the largest lithium-ion battery manufacture. So they probably use their own batteries

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Samsung is one of the largest lithium-ion battery manufacture. So they probably use their own batteries

For the note 7 the bad batch is from a company that they contracted to do some of the batteries. 

Main PC:  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM: Amd R9 Gamer 32gb 2400mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF X Case | Storage: Amd R7 480gb, 2x Crucial M500 240gb, Toshiba 5TB | PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200 | CPU: Amd FX-9590 | GPU: Asus Amd Fury X | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Razer Leviathan | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Dell u3415w | Cooling: Apogee XL, Heatkiller Fury X w/ Back Plate, 720mm Rad

10 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

For the note 7 the bad batch is from a company that they contracted to do some of the batteries. 

Yeah it was Samsung SDI that made the faulty batteries, which is why they'll be using the Chinese manufacturer 'ATL' for the replacement Note 7 batteries, they made all the batteries for the Chinese version of the phone, and they had no issues, they are still selling in China as if nothing happened.

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

I have never bought a Samsung smartphone..can't understand what's so good about them...I am doing fine on a 250ish $ rebranded Chinese Gionee smartphone.
Thing has good specs(8-core CPU,3GB RAM, 16GB Storage+MicroSD, 13MP rear Camera, 5MP Front, 720p AMOLED screen 5.5" diagonal, a headphone jack), doesn't lag, has Android 6, and oh..it costs 250$.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I think BAMsung is a funny new name :D

Anyway, it's sad that this stuff is happening, let's hope this doesn't explosively expand to other phones.

I'll show myself out...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

I read that it was Samsung who made the cells then another company turned them into batteries. It was during the conversion process the error was made. 

Also I think I might be able to explain what causes the explosion. I saw a YT video a while back where some dude disassembled a battery bank that had been recalled because it was exploding. When he removed the battery from the device he chopped the top of it and tipped out the powder from inside, as soon as it hit the air it exploded into pretty big sparks. He took it outside and tipped it all out and it was like a fireworks display. In the comments he asked if anybody knew why it was happening and some guy responded with a full answer. 

Can't for the life of me remember what it was called but I'll go look and see if I can find it. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Good thing I held off upgrading my 5 yr old nexus phone..
Not BAMsung but I remember my 1st gen Shield tablet with the faulty battery almost exploded while I was sleeping, I woke up to the smell of burnt plastic.. Cause I kept using it after my RMA tablet came in. 
I really can't wait for the next breakthrough in battery tech

Samsung can't catch a break, can they? This might just be one of their worst years if this keeps up.

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

this happens with iphones and pretty much every other phone also

That took a little longer than I thought.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Hopefully this will be the only case for the s7. If they end up doing a recall for the s7 its only going to get worse for Samsung.