For just a few bucks, you can buy a computer-destroying USB Stick!

Original article from ZDNet.

"For just a few bucks, you can pick up a USB stick that destroys almost anything that it's plugged into. Laptops, PCs, televisions, photo booths -- you name it."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/now-you-can-buy-a-usb-stick-that-destroys-laptops/

Oh, right, I have to say why it is important.  Well, anyone using Windows 10/PCs in general has a little bit more of a reason to store sensitive files in the cloud, external storage, etc.  And maybe know about ways to prevent something like this from happening.

Note: 

"Not every device is vulnerable to a USB Kill attack. The device maker said that Apple "voluntarily" protected its hardware."

Topic: Hardware hacks, physical hardware security.

Hopefully that's enough?

I remember seeing this project over a year ago when they were just in the prototyping phase. I didn't understand then what it's target market as a product was then and am baffled at the marketing it as a tool for pen testers now. It doesn't compromise the target and potentially destroys accessibility of information on the target system. It's really only a tool for vandal pricks who think it's funny to destroy other people's/businesses' expensive hardware with accessible USB ports.

I understand the utility in developing a device such as this for informing companies of the potential dangers for hardware with exposed USB and thus the need for extra protections on said ports. They produce a circuit to implement these protections which I assume is their real target revenue stream, but selling the usb killer device just seems like a jerk move to force said issue with businesses by making it easily attainable by those not tech savvy enough to do it themselves. Considering it's easy for anyone else to implement a protection circuit to guard against this I still don't understand releasing the usb killer as product. I really only see it being picked up by a few high school - college age jerks who want to prank their peers and teachers by destroying their computers.

WTF man...

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

This is just going to be bought and abused by shitbags who will plug it into anything and everything they can.

Something like this should never be made.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

Can't see this being abused at all xD

Hong Kong is a silly place. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

This is just going to be bought and abused by shitbags who will plug it into anything and everything they can.

Something like this should never be made.

Making this readily available to those shitbags will force companies to implement protections in their devices and guess who sells some hardware to do just that.

1 minute ago, Mr.McMister said:

Making this readily available to those shitbags will force companies to implement protections in their devices and guess who sells some hardware to do just that.

Yeah but I'll give you one guess to the company that will be selling the prevention...

CPU: R5 3600 @ 4.4 GHz

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHz

GPU: RTX 2080 Super 

buying one and going to have fun at my local electronic store :P

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, potoooooooo said:

Asshole

the best kind of hole

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Many boards actually  have static protection on usb ports , meaning you'd only fry a port or two . Nonetheless this is stupid

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Many boards actually  have static protection on usb ports , meaning you'd only fry a port or two . Nonetheless this is stupid

You'd be surprised at how many don't, especially laptops(even expensive ones), and how many diodes that burn out closed allowing power to still go through.

Just now, Mr.McMister said:

You'd be surprised at how many don't, especially laptops(even expensive ones), and how many diodes that burn out closed allowing power to still go through.

agreed . Many OEM's don't design their devices with electrical attacks in mind , and many don't make protections strong enough for this kind of attack

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Looking deeper into their site the protection shield for this is actually relatively reasonable in price and use tech similar to a circuit breaker meaning after an attack you simply reset the device and things work again. That being said there is nothing proprietary or inherently patentable about it so anyone could produce one a bit cheaper and eat their market.

33 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

buying one and going to have fun at my local electronic store :P

Yeah then fined for destruction of merchandise

Dont be a dick

P.s i know your joking but people may actually do this don't encourage it

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

1 hour ago, byalexandr said:

I want one, but that's expensive af.

Someone make a schematic for this pl0x

basically just a capacitor that sucks up voltage from the + side then feeds it back down the ground wire, aka - side. This causes a "overflow" in the VRMs which arent designed to handle much of any voltage on the - side, and as a result they overcompensate that blow themselves up.

1 minute ago, Erik Sieghart said:

It won't brick computers like it's advertised to do, just cause some form of hardware damage, depending on where the port is located.

It's advertised tor fuck up the hardware. It's not supposed to do anything software wise.

Just now, Erik Sieghart said:

I mean it's not that scary of a thing, anyone with a wire and a battery could do the same thing. You don't even a battery, just out an outlet and a power cable.

Well it's different for this because it uses the power from the PC. What it does is charge up a cap with the 5V, and then release it all at once (like a cap does), so the circuitry in your PC is fried to a crisp.

The most this might do to a typical of is kill a usb controller. Most electronics nowadays have spark gaps built into the traces to protect against static and high voltage. There are much better and effective ways to destroy an electronic device than this.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

12 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Right it has capacitors it uses to flood the device with power. Which will overload the port; it's not going to cascade throughout the entire system and circuits frying all of them. Just a few closest to the port.

No it gets pretty much everything.

This would be useful to mess with people at Large LAN parties! LUL

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 | GPU: XFX 6700XT 12GB | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 70 | Storage: XPG Gammix Gen3x4 M.2 (NVMe) 256GB - ADATA SU 740 SSD 500GB - T-FORCE Vulcan 2.5" SSD 500GB - Mushkin Enhanced Source 2.5" 500GB SSD - Gigabyte Aorus 2TB NVMe Gen 4  | PSU: Enermax Triathlor Semi-Modular ECO 800w 80 PLUS Bronze | Display: MSI Optix MAG27OVC 144Hz | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | OS: Windows 11 Home | Steam Deck 

PC Peripherals: 

Mouse: G502 Hero & Razer Basilisk HyperSpeed Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky One Mini 65% | Mousepad: Techsource Topo Black | DAC: Schitt Fulla 2 & SYBA USB DAC | Headset: Alienware AW510H & Astro A40 TR | Speakers: Logitech Z323 

This thing makes me feel nauseous. If I were to accidentally damage someone's property like that I would be appalled. To do it consciously, or maliciously? We're just gonna have to hope this kind of thing spurs manufacturers to build some failsafes into the circuitry in the future