What to update first?

Scratchy1215

Hi so I'm wanting to upgrade my PC as I've saved up some money and would like some more performance. I want to slowly replace everything and give the spare parts to my gf pc over time till we complete it. But I'd like to remove the worst parts first to replace with better. Also i love a lot of USB ports on my motherboard so if someone could list a few good options would be helpful.

Current Pc is

i5 4690k @ 4.5 with corsair h100i

Radeon r9 390

MSI USB 3 motherboard (don't remember full name)

Adata 8gb 1600 ram

Pny 120gb ssd

1tb Seagate HDD

Roswell 750watt psu

I want to set my pc up with a long thunderbolt cable and play it from the living room or basically from further away so a motherboard that supports that would be perfect

3 minutes ago, Scratchy1215 said:

want to set my pc up with a long thunderbolt cable and play it from the living room or basically from further away so a motherboard that supports that would be perfect

Id suggest doing this over ethernet and use anouther system as a thin client.

Id probably something like a gtx 1070

well if you want thunder bolt then that means your first thing would be the MOBO unless you simply get an add-in card to do that job.

aside from that I would start with a Larger SSD to make sure there is enough space to keep all programs and games on the SSD and only use the HDD for media storage.

outside of that what kind of money are you willing to invest at this time?

Just now, Daniel644 said:

well if you want thunder bolt then that means your first thing would be the MOBO unless you simply get an add-in card to do that job.

aside from that I would start with a Larger SSD to make sure there is enough space to keep all programs and games on the SSD and only use the HDD for media storage.

outside of that what kind of money are you willing to invest at this time?

I mean I'm going to spend around 1000-1500 by the end of the year total across everything 

1 minute ago, Scratchy1215 said:

I mean I'm going to spend around 1000-1500 by the end of the year total across everything 

so are you basically gonna gut the case and build a new machine in it or are you looking for ALL NEW by the time you are done? At that budget range if you could reuse certain parts (like the HDD, Case, CPU Cooler and PSU) you could probably get up into the x99 boards and something like a 6800k, with 32GB of RAM, a GTX 1080 and a new SSD at about twice the capacity of your current one and come in around the top end of that budget, but we to do it in stages would have a cheap stage of doing the SSD upgrade (which honestly I would do last since you already have one), the mid level investment of a GTX 1080 then the other phase of CPU, MOBO and RAM which would be the expensive phase, but you might have to pull back on those plans depending on the cost of the hardware to go from a single thunderbolt 3 cable coming from the machine to a Hub that would give you USB connections for peripherals like Keyboard and mouse as well as HDMI or other output to the TV, which could probably be done for the cost difference between a GTX 1080 and a 1070, but then again if you drop to a 1070, the X99 makes for a pretty "unbalanced" (no benefit in a CPU that badass unless you do serious work with it) system.

On the other hand if you want to end up all new you could go with the tried and True 6700k/1070 combo (maybe a 1080 depending on case and other choices). I just don't know if that would be a worthwhile upgrade over your current CPU.

SO basically plan out the build you want to end up with, then look at what parts you can go ahead and install now and go with those parts first and the CPU, RAM MOBO as the ending upgrade.

27 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

-snip-

I have a 1080p ultrawide monitor I plan on keeping for quite awhile and my current gpu performs just right at that level, so I can hold off on gpu and cpu for a decent bit. Storage is gonna be most likely first followed by a new case (getting corsair 760t) which I would agree I need a bigger ssd but I only play gta v, black desert and a few others so I'm thinking a Samsung 850 evo 500gb, plus maybe  2/3 2TB HDD. Not sure what's the best option for storage though. 

I kinda wanted to upgrade my ram but I do want a thunderbolt motherboard and move up to the skylake( or wait for new CPUs if any rumors leaked) I'm currently building my desk and want to slowly add all this to my new desk basically.

GPU....

thats probly the best thing to upgrade, go for a 1070 with the i5,

or CPU if you want to try the 1080,(the 1080 does 1080P preaty well, ha ha), get a i7 if you want that

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

OK, a bit over budget but includes a 500GB Evo and a single 2TB WD Black and the Motherboard gets Thunderbolt 3 support via a Bios Update from a while back (if it doesn't ship with that Bios update installed) http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WFTCd6

You could drop it to a 6600k and get in budget or drop the SSD and add another HDD for mass storage. Or slash the RAM back to 16GB and stay in budget with everything else still on the table as laid out (including the CASE cost in the build).