Mass Effect: Andromeda will run in 30 FPS on PS4 and PS4 Pro as well as in custom, non 4K resolution

Bouzoo

mass-effect-andromeda.jpg  

We got new info about the PS4 Pro yesterday about it's new, more powerful hardware, as well as a glimpse of the new Mass Effect game that is coming out in Q1 2017, and only a day later, we are getting new news which may not be that good, depending on where you stand.

It seems that ME:A will be running in 30 FPS on both the current PS4 and the yet to be released PS4 Pro, according to the producer, Fabrice Condominas:

Mass Effect: Andromeda will run at 30 FPS across both PlayStation 4 and the new PlayStation 4 Pro.

Producer Fabrice Condominas shared the detail in an interview with GameSpot this evening at the PlayStation Meeting. The PS4 Pro is more powerful than the existing model. It is in theory capable of delivering higher frame rates, but that won't be the case here, apparently.

Even though PS4 could deliver 60 FPS at 1080p, that won't be the case since they are going for the higher resolution, and it won't be either Native nor Upscaled 4K, but it will be a new, custom resolution, according to one of the people behind the Frostbite engine.

Could this mean we could be getting QHD or something similar @30 FPS? In my opinion, this is where the problem lies. Most people don't have TVs that support >1080p resolution, so unless this will use some form of ubersampling, which I highly doubt, they won't see the difference, and considering it won't be in 4K, you won't be getting the most out of it even if you own a 4K TV. So unless the developers decide to change something with an update, you'll be getting the same experience you'd get with the "normal" PS4, for the most part. 

Also, I'm confused about the demo since it was running in 4K and the Bioware general manager was telling that "4K allows the game to take new levels of depth, making Mass Effect more immersive than ever". The video was done while the game was in pre-alpha so something might have changed, but what's the point of it if the game won't run in 4K? It honestly sounds like fake marketing. 

I don't intend to play the game on PC, but I will be buying a PS4 Pro, and I don't like this approach. What about you?

Here is the new video, in case you might have missed it:

Sources: 1, 2

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, Sampsy said:

Not surprising at all. So many people misunderstand why consoles tend to run games at 30fps rather than 60fps. It has very little to do with the actual power available - rather it's what developers choose to do with it. It's simply the case that most developer's have made the decision that it's preferable to have higher graphical fidelity at 30fps than lower fidelity at 60fps. 

That is true, but to a degree. It actually has very much to do with actual power available for many games. Not talking about games that can be optimized, but the current gen consoles can't maintain more than 30 FPS, or even 30 for that matter on higher demanding games. Take FFXV, Uncharted 4, ROTTR, and so on. 

From my understanding the neo (or whatever the hell it's called) wouldn't actually be able to output 4k natively anyway (not that it would have been strong enough to begin with) rather it was just going to be upscaling things to 4k which is completely pointless

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

So terrible. It's a joke of marketing and deception. 4K upscaled and 30fps hahaha. 1080p@60fps would be better, not to mention plus on PC with such with more graphical detail added. What's the point increasing resolution over 1080p if you can't have 60fps at least, cause there is no point! Or use 1080p but with higher graphic settings, no? But then 4K couldn't be marketed towards masses that don't know any better.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1080p60 > higherthan1080p30

:ph34r:

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Actually ubersampling is expected on most titles from the PS4 Pro if you choose to run at 1080p (credit Digital Foundary).

Also the custom resolution could be a 3200x1800 (common on laptops), or a different step to make it easier to run.

3 hours ago, Sampsy said:

Not surprising at all. So many people misunderstand why consoles tend to run games at 30fps rather than 60fps. It has very little to do with the actual power available - rather it's what developers choose to do with it. It's simply the case that most developer's have made the decision that it's preferable to have higher graphical fidelity at 30fps than lower fidelity at 60fps. Framerate is probably the one of the lowest priorities once 30 has been achieved. Those extra frames won't make the marketing trailers or screenshots look any better - but higher fidelity and resolution will. That may remain the case for a long time, even as consoles get progressively more powerful, although at some point I do expect something to give.

Uhh there is another issue... There are a few game engines out today that are just plainly incapable of getting to 60FPS on the unbelievably shitty excuse for a cpu the PS4 has (which mindbogglingly hasn't been upgraded on the PS4 Pro) .

I mean crap... Hitman on PS4 hits cpu bottlenecks and that's not even close to a locked 60fps game (the most intense cpu bottleneck scene drops the PS4 into the low 20s in fps...).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

24 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

The game's already on my boycott list thanks to the art designer being profoundly racist.

Wat

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

From my understanding the neo (or whatever the hell it's called) wouldn't actually be able to output 4k natively anyway (not that it would have been strong enough to begin with) rather it was just going to be upscaling things to 4k which is completely pointless

Can you please elaborate what you mean by "wouldn't actually be able to output 4K natively anyway"? The PS4 Pro has HDMI 2.0, presumably. So what's the issue?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you please elaborate what you mean by "wouldn't actually be able to output 4K natively anyway"? The PS4 Pro has HDMI 2.0, presumably. So what's the issue?

As in software wise it wasn't going to be programmed to run native 4k content (it wouldn't be able to reasonable run that sort of thing anyway so it's not surprising if true), not a hardware limitation that wouldn't make sense as you were saying.

Edited by AresKrieger
n't

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

As in software wise it wasn't going to be programmed to run native 4k content (it wouldn't be able to reasonable run that sort of thing anyway so it's not surprising if true), not a hardware limitation that wouldn't make sense as you were saying.

What do you mean "wasn't going to be programmed to run native 4K content"?

I assume that it'll get Netflix 4K streaming, and possibly YouTube 4K streaming, and also likely Sony's 4K video streaming service.

If that's not native 4K content, then i don't know what is.

For games specifically? Well, that will entirely depend on the game. I'm sure some will be native 4K, but I assume most AAA games will feature some resolution in between 1080p and 2160p, like ME;A is getting.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What do you mean "wasn't going to be programmed to run native 4K content"?

I assume that it'll get Netflix 4K streaming, and possibly YouTube 4K streaming, and also likely Sony's 4K video streaming service.

If that's not native 4K content, then i don't know what is.

For games specifically? Well, that will entirely depend on the game. I'm sure some will be native 4K, but I assume most AAA games will feature some resolution in between 1080p and 2160p, like ME;A is getting.

Games not netflix, from what some of the rumors on the neo said when they were claiming 4k potential is that all "4k gaming' would just be upscaled 1080p

(I honestly forgot they have netflix on them tbh)

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Games not netflix, from what some of the rumors on the neo said when they were claiming 4k potential is that all "4k gaming' would just be upscaled 1080p

(I honestly forgot they have netflix on them tbh)

Ah, well as others have mentioned above, that's entirely up to the devs, in the end. With the current trend of "Make it look pretty, and just make it to 30fps", we'll likely see SOME titles at native 4K, but most will be under 4K.

Reading news like this always makes me feel good about choosing to game on PC. We get the ability to run high resolutions, high graphics settings and high/smooth frame rates. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

8 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

So terrible. It's a joke of marketing and deception. 4K upscaled and 30fps hahaha. 1080p@60fps would be better, not to mention plus on PC with such with more graphical detail added. What's the point increasing resolution over 1080p if you can't have 60fps at least, cause there is no point! Or use 1080p but with higher graphic settings, no? But then 4K couldn't be marketed towards masses that don't know any better.

It 1080p@60fps would be better, but not in trailers and screenshots! Even with 60fps youtube, devs still want 30 fps with more effects.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I'm far more concerned with how the story is going to end up.

And of course no games are going to be run at native 4k on the new consoles, literally not a single one will. Any that do run at "4k" are going to super fucking upscaled to get there and just look atrocious compared to actual 4k.

Anyway, with how blatantly and openly racist the gameplay director is, I'm actually scared that the game is going to be impacted significantly by his extreme racism. And no, I'm not saying that as an SJW, quite on the other hand actually. The gameplay director for ME:A is a crazy left wing super racist who publicly says shit like "All the worlds problems are caused by white men" and if you want to get rid off all the crime in the world "get rid of all white men"

Its fucking abhorrent. This man needs to have any power taken away from him, he is literally speaking like hitler towards whites. No one seems to care though, it actually makes me sick to my stomach seeing real, open, blatant racism.

He is literally considered by a majority as the most racist man in the game design world. As far as I'm concerned Manveer Heir needs to be fire and thrown in jail for hate speech and inciting violence.

don't believe me? Here! Have some quotes from his tweets!

Spoiler

"Everytime we are out of brown sugar for the coffee at work (WHO THE FUCK PUTS BROWN SUGAR IN THEIR COFFEE????) and I have to use white sugar, I assume this is the work of someone in the KKK."

"How come everyone who puts up skiing/snowboarding photos is white?"

Why does it matter what color skin they have? Or- maybe. The places where it most oftens you know... SNOWS.... is a predominantly white population.

"[I wouldn't live in Westmount] ... I don't like all the white people."

Retweeted

"You have normalized white supremacy with shoddy Trump reporting."

"If you do not challenge white supremacy , you do not  love America"

interestingly enough, with the launch of ME:A getting closer and closer, his batshit crazy left wing propaganda and open racism has died down a lot. Scroll back in his timeline a good month or so though and experience for yourself the fucking disgusting racism he spews.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Atmos said:

-snip-

I agree with you mostly. I am scared than the new Mass Effect will be striped from certain decisions that he might not like.

But put in jail? Really? It is his right to say it, but I think he should be fired, because he makes the company look bad.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

13 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

image.jpeg

I agree with you mostly. I am scared than the new Mass Effect will be striped from certain decisions that he might not like.

But put in jail? Really? It is his right to say it, but I think he should be fired, because he makes the company look bad.

Hate speech and inciting violence towards racial demographics is illegal in the united states.

At the very least he deserves a night in jail and a hefty fine.

I'm all for criticism, but when you start spewing hitler grade racism at entire racial ethnicities, then you need to fucking be stopped.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

It 1080p@60fps would be better, but not in trailers and screenshots! Even with 60fps youtube, devs still want 30 fps with more effects.

But then they should've showed it running on PC cause certainly it will look better.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, Doobeedoo said:

But then they should've showed it running on PC cause certainly it will look better.

Sony probably has some deal with Bioware (EA), and this is their way to promote PS4 Pro. Same how AMD is using Id Softwares Doom to promote Polaris. 

47 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Well, most of the time these early demos and trailers are actually running on a PC. But, once you get a the reviews out from the popular reviewers like IGN they've got to run it on a PS4 or something and show the videos. Most IGN/Gamespot/ect videos act as free coverage for the graphics.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide