NASA Will Re-Launch its 2016 Mars Mission in 2018 !!!

givingtnt
2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Wait, only 5 meters deep? Captain? Why not drill a lot more?

Well I suspect it's a limitation of how much crap they can afford to cram into the lander - they have a limited budget, and a rocket that can take a limited mass. They probably did some number crunching, and probably decided that going deeper wasn't going to make enough difference to justify the increased cost.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Well I suspect it's a limitation of how much crap they can afford to cram into the lander - they have a limited budget, and a rocket that can take a limited mass. They probably did some number crunching, and probably decided that going deeper wasn't going to make enough difference to justify the increased cost.

Oh ok so basically you'd have to go say 100 meters to get a significant difference and you can't really send the equipment to dig that much.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Oh ok so basically you'd have to go say 100 meters to get a significant difference and you can't really send the equipment to dig that much.

Yeah - I mean, I'm not a geologist or whatever, but what if the ground between 1m and 100m was quite similar in composition, and the more interesting stuff wasn't until past 100m deep?

It would explain that. I suspect they'll do some more deep drilling later in a different mission - perhaps wait until manned missions hit the planet.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Also, places like Europa, etc, with sub-surface oceans. We're a LONG WAY off of getting to those.

Not to mention how to deal with the massive amount of radiation that Jupiter puts out.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Not a huge issue for probes but even then Enceladus is always an option!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enceladus

It's much easier to shield electronics than it is humans. Humans are much more susceptible to the effects of radiation and is one of the biggest issues NASA faces in getting astronauts to other planets, hell even beyond the moon. Earth's magnetic field is largely responsible for most the shielding within the orbit of the moon.

Jupiter also puts out so much radiation that even getting near its orbit is dangerous, hence why not many probes are sent past the asteroid belt.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

25 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

It's much easier to shield electronics than it is humans. Humans are much more susceptible to the effects of radiation and is one of the biggest issues NASA faces in getting astronauts to other planets, hell even beyond the moon. Earth's magnetic field is largely responsible for most the shielding within the orbit of the moon.

Jupiter also puts out so much radiation that even getting near its orbit is dangerous, hence why not many probes are sent past the asteroid belt.

But I never mentioned anything about manned missions to these moons...

1 minute ago, Brian McKee said:

But I never mentioned anything about manned missions to these moons...

Wasn't your whole argument in this thread about a manned mission hmmm/?

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

Wasn't your whole argument in this thread about a manned mission hmmm/?

No? The only manned mission I mentioned would be to Venus because somehow we got on the topic of colonization. Everything else I mentioned would just be more interesting things to spend time and money researching lol.

20 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

I dunno but it sure sounds like an easier problem to solve than extremely low gravity, agonizing amounts of radiation or extremely toxic soil.

Which planet are you talking about? (Authentic question)

On 9/6/2016 at 5:37 PM, potoooooooo said:

You get the choice of either slow bureaucratic underfunded mess or 80 hour work weeks

That's definitely true, I hear that from pretty much everyone. Although, I always get a good laugh out of it :) 

7 months trip isnt that long, meaning I will still be alive when they land :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 hour ago, Thony said:

7 months trip isnt that long, meaning I will still be alive when they land :D

"They" being a stationary robot? This isn't a manned mission you know :P I don't know why so many people are freaking out over this mission. It was supposed to land in 2016, but there were mechanical issues or something and they missed the launch window.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

"They" being a stationary robot? This isn't a manned mission you know :P I don't know why so many people are freaking out over this mission. It was supposed to land in 2016, but there were mechanical issues or something and they missed the launch window.

because it means more knowledge, more science, more space exploration, more things to learn for a manned mission to mars.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

because it means more knowledge, more science, more space exploration, more things to learn for a manned mission to mars.

Did you quote the wrong person or something...? Just not quite sure what your point was, or whether it was a "reply" to my seemingly totally unrelated post?

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Damn, then this is not as exciting as i thought. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

48 minutes ago, Thony said:

Damn, then this is not as exciting as i thought. 

Well no worries. This is exciting. But just no more exciting then all the other current and upcoming Mars missions.

NASA doesn't plan on Manned Missions until 2030-2035 or so.

That would accelerate if they were given a larger budget, or if they had a private "benefactor" finance it, but that's the current rough plan from them.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Did you quote the wrong person or something...? Just not quite sure what your point was, or whether it was a "reply" to my seemingly totally unrelated post?

3 hours ago, givingtnt said:

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't know why so many people are freaking out over this mission. 

is this better ?

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, givingtnt said:

is this better ?

Ah. Yes that's more clear.

But I disagree 100%. People are freaking out over this mission because they didn't read the article, and they assume it's a manned mission. No one is freaking out because NASA is sending a glorified drill to Mars :P

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Ah. Yes that's more clear.

But I disagree 100%. People are freaking out over this mission because they didn't read the article, and they assume it's a manned mission. No one is freaking out because NASA is sending a glorified drill to Mars :P

hm yeah, perhaps I shall rename my title.

"relaunch a mission to mars" is more apropriate.

8 hours ago, givingtnt said:

hm yeah, perhaps I shall rename my title.

"relaunch a mission to mars" is more apropriate.

To be fair, I'M excited for this mission - but I'm excited for all Mars missions, even the "boring" ones (ha ha...) like this one.

3 minutes ago, jullius caesar said:

Can't wait to see what NASA & SpaceX finds out there

I-am-not-saying.jpg

Nice cgi picture.... Totally convincing. I did like the read through this thread at all the people talking as if they work at nasa or something. I never knew the Ltt community were all Astrobuttwipes.