6600K + EVGA 1070 ACX 3.0 FTW Bottleneck?

FlushaDev

Well, my build has an i5 6600K and an EVGA 1070 ACX 3.0 FTW.

Will it bottleneck when gaming at 1080p 144hz?

[GTA 5, CS:GO, RainBow Six: Siege, etc]

"The only way to do great work, is do do what you love." -Steve Jobs

7 minutes ago, FlushaDev said:

Well, my build has an i5 6600K and an EVGA 1070 ACX 3.0 FTW.

Will it bottleneck when gaming at 1080p 144hz?

[GTA 5, CS:GO, RainBow Six: Siege, etc]

I think in CS:GO it will bottleneck your 1070 for sure.

Just because CS isn´t GPU intensive. I recommend running CS at low settings anyway.

But I don´t think it will slow down your GPU in GPU-intensive games.

At least not, when you overclock it (What you should do if you but a K CPU in my oppinion).

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.

33 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

It definitely will in GTA V depending on the scene. Some parts it will others it wont. 

Why will it BN in GTA?

Just now, FlushaDev said:

Why will it BN in GTA?

33 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

It definitely will in GTA V depending on the scene. Some parts it will others it wont. 

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

I guess...

31 minutes ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

I think in CS:GO it will bottleneck your 1070 for sure.

Just because CS isn´t GPU intensive. I recommend running CS at low settings anyway.

But I don´t think it will slow down your GPU in GPU-intensive games.

At least not, when you overclock it (What you should do if you but a K CPU in my oppinion).

What's the best way to avoid this way of bottleneck?

Upgrade to an i7. Either that or ditch 1080p 144Hz and go for regular 1440p 60Hz.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Upgrade to an i7. Either that or ditch 1080p 144Hz and go for regular 1440p 60Hz.

i7 for sure

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

i7 for sure

i7 for sure

Then there's your answer.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I'm just going to say this An i5-6600K is still able to get within 98% of a GTX 1080 if you compared it to say an i7-6800K or a i7-5765C. In other words, a bottleneck is inevitable by virtue of not getting the best CPU.

There's no reason to lose sleep over this anyway. A bottleneck doesn't necessarily mean a performance cap. I could get lower scores in some benchmarks on my i7-6700 from my i5-4670K but when I upgraded the video card, it still was a huge upgrade.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm just going to say this An i5-6600K is still able to get within 98% of a GTX 1080 if you compared it to say an i7-6800K or a i7-5765C. In other words, a bottleneck is inevitable by virtue of not getting the best CPU.

Explain this simpler please :(

6 minutes ago, FlushaDev said:

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

An i7 won´t make much difference in gaming performance..

And you can never avoid "bottlenecking".

There will ALWAYS be a component, which holds back another one.

And in CS:GO, you just won´t use your GPU to it´s full potential, because CS:GO is not GPU-intensive.

But that is just fine. Playing CS for the graphics is just stupid.

Your build is fine.

In games which use the GPU more (for example GTA or The Witcher), your CPU will not bottleneck your GPU.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.

Explain this simpler please :(

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10337/the-intel-broadwell-e-review-core-i7-6950x-6900k-6850k-and-6800k-tested-up-to-10-cores/8

Just look at the results. (Also apparently the i5s do better than the 6800K in some cases)

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10337/the-intel-broadwell-e-review-core-i7-6950x-6900k-6850k-and-6800k-tested-up-to-10-cores/8

Just look at the results. (Also apparently the i5s do better than the 6800K in some cases)

Thanks, it seems I wont be spending any more on an i7

5 minutes ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

An i7 won´t make much difference in gaming performance..

And you can never avoid "bottlenecking".

There will ALWAYS be a component, which holds back another one.

And in CS:GO, you just won´t use your GPU to it´s full potential, because CS:GO is not GPU-intensive.

But that is just fine. Playing CS for the graphics is just stupid.

Your build is fine.

In games which use the GPU more (for example GTA or The Witcher), your CPU will not bottleneck your GPU.

I hope you realise that just because a game is GPU-intensive, it doesn't eliminate the possibility of the CPU being a bottleneck.

The higher the framerate, the more load is placed on the CPU. The higher the resolution, the more load is placed on the GPU. When you're playing at 1080p 144Hz, the i5 6600K isn't going to keep up with the GTX 1070. Certainly not in a game such as GTA V which is also extremely CPU-intensive (physics, explosions - just because it's GTA).

The fallacy of the i5 6600K not bottlenecking high-end GPUs at 1080p needs to stop.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

I hope you realise that just because a game is GPU-intensive, it doesn't eliminate the possibility of the CPU being a bottleneck.

The higher the framerate, the more load is placed on the CPU. The higher resolution, the more load is placed on the GPU. When you're playing at 1080p 144Hz, the i5 6600K isn't going to keep up with the GTX 1070. Certainly not in a game such as GTA V which is also extremely CPU-intensive (physics, explosions - just because it's GTA V).

The fallacy of the i5 6600K not bottlenecking high-end GPUs at 1080p needs to stop.

Do you still recommend to keep my i5 6600K or get an i7

Do you still recommend to keep my i5 6600K or get an i7

You want to utilise the full power of the GTX 1070 in games such as GTA V and the Witcher 3? Get the i7 6700K. On top of that, if we look at average frametimes and the amount of stuttering, the i7 6700K will offer a level of stability that the i5 6600K cannot deliver.

For people who don't believe me, look at Digital Foundry's video on the matter.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

You want to utilise the full power of the GTX 1070 in games such as GTA V and the Witcher 3? Get the i7 6700K. On top of that, if we look at average frametimes and the amount of stuttering, the i7 6700K will offer a level of stability that the i5 6600K cannot deliver.

For people who don't believe me, look at Digital Foundry's video on the matter.

But you have to ask yourself if spending an extra $100 to prevent what amounts to a handful of frame rate dips is worth while. The places where the i5 really took a beating was in high action scenes where the physics gets to flex its muscles.

Which in my experience is either limited to scripted sequences or cut scenes and generally isn't a common thing in regular game play.

Yeah but the stutters are almost unnoticable! What's the point of spending more money on something that, really, doesn't change anything (almost)

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

But you have to ask yourself if spending an extra $100 to prevent what amounts to a handful of frame rate dips is worth while. The places where the i5 really took a beating was in high action scenes where the physics gets to flex its muscles.

Which in my experience is either limited to scripted sequences or cut scenes and generally isn't a common thing in regular game play.

It wasn't just in the 'high action' scenes. GTA V on average had a 10FPS performance difference, which extended as far as to about 20FPS in places where, yes, heavy involvement of physics made a noticeable impact. I don't know about you, but I'd like to keep my gaming experience as stutter-free as possible. We're seeing a bottleneck in GTA V when a Titan X is paired with a i5 6600K - the CPU is the limiting factor.

8 minutes ago, FlushaDev said:

Yeah but the stutters are almost unnoticable! What's the point of spending more money on something that, really, doesn't change anything (almost)

You see the frametime graph? There was a substantial amount of stutter. On top of that, you're gaining a significant performance improvement in GTA V.

Alas, I don't want to sound condescending but don't complain to me when your CPU usage is hitting 100%.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

It wasn't just in the 'high action' scenes. GTA V on average had a 10FPS performance difference, which extended as far as to about 20FPS in places where, yes, heavy involvement of physics made a noticeable impact. I don't know about you, but I'd like to keep my gaming experience as stutter-free as possible. We're seeing a bottleneck in GTA V when a Titan X is paired with a i5 6600K - the CPU is the limiting factor.

You see the frametime graph? There was a substantial amount of stutter. On top of that, you're gaining a significant performance improvement in GTA V.

Alas, I don't want to sound condescending but don't complain to me when your CPU usage is hitting 100%.

Mhm will think seriously about this

Personally I would stick with your i5 and get a 1440p monitor as that in the next year 2 will become the standard just like 1080p did after a while then maybe in the next year look at an i7 Kaby Lake which will use the same chipset as the current Skylake chips do.