Moving from AMD to Intel CPU, Help required!

JerichoN

I'm planning to move from my current build: 

a pre-built A10-5700 AMD PC, to a new Intel 4690k on a new Z97 motherboard (obviously) 

I AM planning to overclock on this new system, not looking for any new hardware recommendations, as i am on a tight budget, just need help for the move over

Currently running windows 10 home.

I was wondering if there are any precautions or processes I will or need to take, during this transfer over.

All help is appreciated, I am a novice PC builder, so please take that into concern.

Many thanks :)

i'd go with skylake and get a Z170 board and a 6600k or 6700k, depending on your budget. be aware that you need DDR4 RAM as well. though if you're planning on not overclocking, get a H170 board and a non-k processor. 

Go as High as you can reasonably afford.  Never skimp on the CPU in favor of a GPU, IF you keep your system for many years.

keep this in mind, get the best CPU you can afford for later down the road.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

1 minute ago, Weak1ings said:

Never skimp on the CPU in favor of a GPU, IF you keep your system for many years.

Careful with sweeping statements like this. What you said here is that it's reasonably better to go i7-6700K + GT 740 for gaming on a $600 budget.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Skylake is definately the way to go.

If you don't want to spend a huge amount of $$$, I'd go with the other replies and recommend an i5-6600k. As for the motherboard, Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 is a great budget board that doesn't look like it's been painted by a smurf, or maybe an MSI Z170-A Gaming Pro Carbon for some snazzy but cheap RGB lights. For the RAM, HyperX has some nice 8GB and 16GB DDR4 kits.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

14 minutes ago, JerichoN said:

a pre-built A10-5700 AMD PC, to a new Intel 4690k on a new Z97 motherboard (obviously) 

I AM planning to overclock on this new system, not looking for any new hardware recommendations, as i am on a tight budget, just need help for the move over

I was wondering if there are any precautions or processes I will or need to take, during this transfer over.

All help is appreciated, I am a novice PC builder, so please take that into concern.

Though I agree with the other posters saying Skylake is the way to go, I don't really think Haswell would be that bad either. Yes, you want to get the best that you can afford but a Haswell-based system will run the majority of titles for many years to come. Again, I agree that Skylake is better but I'm hesitant to completely disregard Haswell simply because it's a generation older. I know plenty of people with a 2600k able to do 1080p for most titles even today. If you can get a deal on a Haswell chip and motherboard, it wouldn't be that bad compared to a Skylake set up.

Just my two cents.

20 minutes ago, JerichoN said:

Though I agree with the other posters saying Skylake is the way to go, I don't really think Haswell would be that bad either. Yes, you want to get the best that you can afford but a Haswell-based system will run the majority of titles for many years to come. Again, I agree that Skylake is better but I'm hesitant to completely disregard Haswell simply because it's a generation older. I know plenty of people with a 2600k able to do 1080p for most titles even today. If you can get a deal on a Haswell chip and motherboard, it wouldn't be that bad compared to a Skylake set up.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: I have no idea why it posted twice, sorry!

Just now, Energycore said:

Careful with sweeping statements like this. What you said here is that it's reasonably better to go i7-6700K + GT 740 for gaming on a $600 budget.

Arguably, it could be...  (10?ish years ago my dad chose an 8400 GS and Q6600 instead of say a 8600 GT & Core Duo(I was 7-8 then so I'm guessing), which system would you rather have a GTX 660 with in 2012?)  But people have to not be stupid as well, for $600 you could easily wind up with an i3 & Powerful GPU, but an i5 would cost the GPU in favor of longer lifespan.  An i7 at $600 is suicide.

Probably a better way to say it would be this:

Try and step up the CPU instead of stepping up the GPU when building a new PC.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Just now, Weak1ings said:

Arguably, it could be...  (10?ish years ago my dad chose an 8400 GS and Q6600 instead of say a 8600 GT & Core Duo(I was 7-8 then so I'm guessing), which system would you rather have a GTX 660 with in 2012?)  But people have to not be stupid as well, for $600 you could easily wind up with an i3 & Powerful GPU, but an i5 would cost the GPU in favor of longer lifespan.  An i7 at $600 is suicide.

Probably a better way to say it would be this:

Try and step up the CPU instead of stepping up the GPU when building a new PC.

I like to balance CPU and GPU cost so they're about the same (up to a 6700K, since it doesn't get better than that), but it also depends on the use case. If someone wants a build made for just VR, I will gladly go i5-6500 + GTX 1070

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Thank you all for your recommendations, but again.

I understand that there are MANY better choices, but I am a high school student with a extremely SET budget, I am only looking for support during the TRANSFER from my AMD Build to my Intel build.

No need for any other hardware recommendations. 

Many thanks.

21 hours ago, JerichoN said:

Good luck with people reading your post and answering your actual question instead on ignoring everything you said and immediately jumping to hypothetical builds... 9_9

Kudos to the user who at least mentioned a clean install :P 

As far as I understand, Windows 10 does some hardware checks to verify it's running in the same computer it was activated for, so there could be a problem if critical components change. All drivers from the previous chipset will become useless, and you will need to install the drivers of the new motherboard.

As long as you have a way to re-install windows, I'd recommend to backup any useful data from the OS drive and perform a clean install.

PS: although this isn't the "new bulds and planning" subforum, as many people seem to think, your question is not about GPUs either. You'll probably have more luck with answers if a kind mod take this to the appropriate subforum ;) 

21 hours ago, Weak1ings said:

Never skimp on the CPU in favor of a GPU, IF you keep your system for many years.

I would get an i3 if it meant I could squeeze a 1080 into the budget. Games have many more options that put additional load on the GPU and virtually none that add to the CPU load. I also don't believe in keeping a system for year after year. You lose new features like M.2 and USB 3.1 if you do this. Much better to get an adequate CPU and plan to upgrade it.

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

PS: although this isn't the "new bulds and planning" subforum, as many people seem to think, your question is not about GPUs either. You'll probably have more luck with answers if a kind mod take this to the appropriate subforum ;) 

Thank you very much for your input, someone who actually tries and solves the question, i understand that I am in the wrong forum, but I dont really know how to remove threads.. :P