Should I bail on my Raidmax

NotDaveMustaine

Here's the situation.

I built my first PC this summer. Because it was my first rodeo, I bought a combo off Newegg. I knew a good bit going into it so it has pretty solid specs across the board. 

The PSU is a Raidmax Hybrid 630W. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Raidmax-Hybrid-ATX12V-EPS12V-RX-630SS/dp/B004SUK5C6

Since building the PC, I've heard some pretty awful things about Raidmax.

Should I bail on this PSU and get another one installed ASAP? Is there actually a risk of it failing and taking my components with it? Why would Newegg pick Raidmax for their combos in the first place? Truth be told, PSUs were the component I did the least research on prior to purchasing stuff. So, basically, does anyone just know a ton about why it's allegedly awful, or have firsthand experience with Raidmax gone wrong?

I have had a hybrid 730w for about 5 years now without issues. Used it when I built my i5 2500k system in 2011. It is currently in use in my wifes i5 6400 build. That being said, I had no where near the knowledge of PSU's that I have now nor the resources available. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

you should grab a new PSU. why because newegg does not really care what you buy or it could be a seller on there .

Edit: they are not horible but wouldn't try and pull more than 500W from them.

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

It's made by andyson

It's probably fine, not great but not a hazard.

To clarify: I don't think you should replace. But don't attempt to SLI R9 390s on it xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

It all depends on what you're running. If you are running a low end system (ex. RX 460, i5 6400), You should be fine. But if you are running something higher end (ex. GTX 1080, i7 6800K), I would change it.

32 minutes ago, NotDaveMustaine said:

Here's the situation.

I built my first PC this summer. Because it was my first rodeo, I bought a combo off Newegg. I knew a good bit going into it so it has pretty solid specs across the board. 

The PSU is a Raidmax Hybrid 630W. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Raidmax-Hybrid-ATX12V-EPS12V-RX-630SS/dp/B004SUK5C6

Since building the PC, I've heard some pretty awful things about Raidmax.

Should I bail on this PSU and get another one installed ASAP? Is there actually a risk of it failing and taking my components with it? Why would Newegg pick Raidmax for their combos in the first place? Truth be told, PSUs were the component I did the least research on prior to purchasing stuff. So, basically, does anyone just know a ton about why it's allegedly awful, or have firsthand experience with Raidmax gone wrong?

I'd get rid of it but that's just me. It's made by Andyson and I generally trust Andyson but they have some very shitty units.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

35 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its kinda like corsair TBH. They make decent supplies and... less than... ideal........ supplies.

That one doesn't look too bad.

They also make some that are top of the line....soooo yeah.

i7 - 6700k || Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti || Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB 3200Mhz || Corsair 760T White || Corsair HX850 || NZXT Kraken X62 || Asus Z170-A || Logitech Proteus Core 502 wireless || Logitech G915 TKL ||

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

It's made by andyson

To clarify: I don't think you should replace. But don't attempt to SLI R9 390s on it xD

"SLI R9 390s"

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

It's made by andyson

Crossfire*

Sorry

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

11 hours ago, legacy99 said:

I have had a hybrid 730w for about 5 years now without issues. Used it when I built my i5 2500k system in 2011. It is currently in use in my wifes i5 6400 build. That being said, I had no where near the knowledge of PSU's that I have now nor the resources available. 

Good to know, thanks. 

11 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'd get rid of it but that's just me. It's made by Andyson and I generally trust Andyson but they have some very shitty units.

Hmm. I'll check for PFC and topology before giving an approval on an Andyson.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

on my old rig i upgraded to a cheap raidmax PSU, it wasn't the best idea and i was a bit skeptical but it turned out to be a good buy for me. lasted me about 3 extra years and still runs i just happened to build a new pc. although i "supposedly" chose a wrong PSU for my new pc and found a thread that dug up my PSU stating that it causes ripples. its been a year and it still works with no issues,

My RIG:

CPU: Intel core i7 4790k     Motherboard: Msi krait edition z97      RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming Black Edition     Case: Thermaltake core v71   Storage: Samsung 850 pro 256gb OS, WD green 2Tb, WD blue 500GB, WD blue 350gb, Segate barracuda 250gb      PSU: NZXT hale82 v2 700w     Cooling: Noctua nh-d15   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TempestZXT said:

on my old rig i upgraded to a cheap raidmax PSU, it wasn't the best idea and i was a bit skeptical but it turned out to be a good buy for me. lasted me about 3 extra years and still runs i just happened to build a new pc. although i "supposedly" chose a wrong PSU for my new pc and found a thread that dug up my PSU stating that it causes ripples. its been a year and it still works

I bought a Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus, a unit without PFC and in general considered dangerous, I then proceeded to use it to power a GTX 560 Ti (with molex to 6-pin adapter) for 5 years, no issue. I even stuck a screwdriver in there, shorted something and smoke came out, the thing still worked afterward. It still works as of today, but I upgraded it.

Would I recommend one of these to anyone? Nah

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I bought a Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus, a unit without PFC and in general considered dangerous, I then proceeded to use it to power a GTX 560 Ti (with molex to 6-pin adapter) for 5 years, no issue. I even stuck a screwdriver in there, shorted something and smoke came out, the thing still worked afterward. It still works as of today, but I upgraded it.

Would I recommend one of these to anyone? Nah

i got the raidmax because i was in a desperate situation. no computer and no money, i bought it for 45 dollars. but its worth to get something a bit more stable. 

My RIG:

CPU: Intel core i7 4790k     Motherboard: Msi krait edition z97      RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming Black Edition     Case: Thermaltake core v71   Storage: Samsung 850 pro 256gb OS, WD green 2Tb, WD blue 500GB, WD blue 350gb, Segate barracuda 250gb      PSU: NZXT hale82 v2 700w     Cooling: Noctua nh-d15   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TempestZXT said:

i got the raidmax because i was in a desperate situation. no computer and no money, i bought it for 45 dollars. but its worth to get something a bit more stable. 

For $45 today, an EVGA 600B is a pretty decent PSU :)

Thankfully the quality standards for PSUs have gone up through the years. Back in '11 the CX was considered a great platform.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Looking at pictures, this PSU doesn't have PFC

I'd replace it even with an EVGA 600B

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Ask @STRMfrmXMN as he is the author of the PSU tier list and probably the most knowledgeable person on these forums that I am aware of when it comes to PSU's. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Ask @STRMfrmXMN as he is the author of the PSU tier list and probably the most knowledgeable person on these forums that I am aware of when it comes to PSU's. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig