Need help on how to reprogram a BIOS on a Laptop

lifeisasus

Last year i was updating my BIOS and the update crashed. So basically i have no BIOS so the computer doesn't boot at all. All I see when I press the power button, is a black screen no backlight and fans reving up...

I am hoping someone has the answer to my 1.4 year old question!!

The laptop is a Toshiba P500

You cant reprogram it yourself, if its recoverable - you would need to take it to an authorised repairer for Toshiba as they'll have special flashing tools.

Im guessing its newer system with a dual bios? if it is you can try removing the cmos battery.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

You couldve just corrutped it so yeah, try taking the battery out, turning it the other way around and shorting the two pins that connect the battery (just taking it out might not always work).

If that wont help then yeah, you have to take it to the repairer. Good luck!

Best wishes

- cheti

Its called a bricked motherboard unless you have a abckup bios onboard you SOL sorry man but that kind of stuff happens besides how did it crash where you flashing it or somethign?

I cant tell from your exact model but alot of laptops have a failsafe where you put the bios on a flash drive and press ESC while hitting the power button. This loads the BIOS off the flash drive.

AMD Phenom II 955BE 4GHz@1.4v

Corsair H100 w/ Silverstone AP122

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 NB@2600MHz

G.Skill 2x4GB 7-7-7-21

XFX HD5870 Crossfire

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

2TB WD Green Raid 0

Corsair AX850

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

Its called a bricked motherboard unless you have a abckup bios onboard you SOL sorry man but that kind of stuff happens besides how did it crash where you flashing it or somethign?
I was updating the bios and it completely frosed. I left it alone for 1 day and nothing. I had to remove the battery and the power plug.

When I tried reloading it, nothing happens, no backlight on screen, no sound, only the fans revving up. :/

I cant tell from your exact model but alot of laptops have a failsafe where you put the bios on a flash drive and press ESC while hitting the power button. This loads the BIOS off the flash drive.
Do I just download the bios file from toshiba on a USB thumb drive and connect it to any USB port and press escape?

Well I haven't been able to see if your model works that way or not but we can try.

1. Download the BIOS and extract to your thumb drive

2. Reboot with the loaded thumb drive in a USB port

3. Right before the POST screen start pressing the ESC key

4. I've seen some laptops that beep and some that don't

On a side night Toshiba is one of the hardest laptops to work on because there lack of available information and support. I've worked on a number of Toshibas where the model is not even listed for driver support. Very frustrating.

AMD Phenom II 955BE 4GHz@1.4v

Corsair H100 w/ Silverstone AP122

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 NB@2600MHz

G.Skill 2x4GB 7-7-7-21

XFX HD5870 Crossfire

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

2TB WD Green Raid 0

Corsair AX850

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

Well thank you very much for the steps. Hopefully this do work!! If not well its been a year so since then I have bought a new laptop! It is just a shame that because of a bios i connot use it!! Ill keep you updated!