New Work & Gaming Rig, Micro ATX question

cptMayday
Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/2hYH2R

here you go :D this should be good for your needs :) 

What is your intended use for this build?

Gaming & Workstation. I'm a heavy Chrome user for work (50-100 tabs open is 'normal'). I decided on the following: 

- i5 6600k
- Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler
- Thermaltake V21 case
- Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2*16GB)
- Corsair CX550M Power Supply
- 760GTX (current GPU, will upgrade later to GTX1070)
- Samsung 840 SSD - 250GB (spare part I have laying around)

PCPartPicker list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/CRQCzM

I'm now looking into getting a Micro ATX motherboard (so it fits in my case). This post is really a "which motherboard should I get" post. 

What I know so far:

- needs to be a LGA 1151 board
- needs to be a Micro ATX 
- needs to support overclocking 
- needs to support up to 64GB of RAM 
(4 slots, so I can start with 2*16GB and later upgrade)

I found two contenders:

**Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5**
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/m6RFf7/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170mxgaming5

- On the expensive side 
- Not a huge fan of the look (red accents) 

**Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H**
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/7tp323/gigabyte-motherboard-gah170md3h

- Looks good (I guess?)

I'm really looking for some advice, or even an "yep those are good choices". I would hate to find out later I overlooked something in regards to compatibility...

Budget & Location

I'm willing to pay up to $150 for the Motherboard. Located in Canada.

Thanks a bunch in advance! :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

Get the Z170 board if you plan on OCing, get the H170 board if you don't 

Derp! Thank you, that was obvious but I missed that hah. 

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Excellent! I like the price point and what it looks like! I'm about to pull the trigger on this purchase :)

I had a question about Ram. I wanted support of up to 64gb for future proofing this beast for work purposes. Start with 32gb for now and then 2*16 so I can upgrade. 

Any recommendations on Ram? My thoughts:

- preferable a kit that I can easily purchase (again) 12-24 months from now when I want to double it with the exact same type 

- I don't believe speeds matter too much, so whatever is good bang for buck really (and is solid/good brand)

6 minutes ago, cptMayday said:

Excellent! I like the price point and what it looks like! I'm about to pull the trigger on this purchase :)

I had a question about Ram. I wanted support of up to 64gb for future proofing this beast for work purposes. Start with 32gb for now and then 2*16 so I can upgrade. 

- preferable a kit that I can easily purchase (again) 12-24 months from now when I want to double it with the exact same type 

- I don't believe speeds matter too much, so whatever is good bang for buck really (and is solid/good brand)

what you have in there looked good to me, there are sevral colort of it too, not just white in case you want to mix it up later :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, cptMayday said:

when i pick ram i just pick the prettiest just pick whichever you like 

My life

Thanks IskanderEXC, Bananasplit_00 and Himommies. Really appreciate your fast and helpful responses internet strangers! <3