Msi gtx 1070 gaming X "mhz" question

SuperFlower

I have the msi gtx 1070 gaming x and i did not overclock it.

In games it usually sits most of the time at 1924mhz. However there are times when it drops to 1911mhz or 1898mhz. 

Isnt it supposed to stay at 1924mhz all the time? I have it on OC mode in the gaming app.

1 minute ago, beast said:

In games it usually sits most of the time at 1924mhz. However there are times when it drops to 1911mhz or 1898mhz. 

Isnt it supposed to stay at 1924mhz all the time? I have it on OC mode in the gaming app.

Mine just drops down to 1911Mhz from 1949 on OC mode. Dunno why as if it were temps then Id think the fans would be running to achieve that boost. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

It could be thermal throttling.

What are the temps like?

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, Ronda said:

What unit is 'mhz'?

Milli-hour-ounce?

Megahertz? That is how you abbreviate it. (But if you want to be picky the M and H should be caps but whateves)

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone?

On OC mode when it hitts 68 degrees it goes down to 1898mhz from 1924mhz, when it is below 60 degrees it stays at 1949mhz. Why it is throttling?

15 minutes ago, beast said:

Anyone?

On OC mode when it hitts 68 degrees it goes down to 1898mhz from 1924mhz, when it is below 60 degrees it stays at 1949mhz. Why it is throttling?

Temperature isn't the only thing a card looks at to choose it's maximum boost clock. It also needs to be able to reach it within its voltage and TDP limits. Assuming the card isn't having any temperature issues (it isn't), I'd recommend setting it's Power Limit slider to the maximum in MSI Afterburner. That may stabilize your clock speeds a bit.

Give this a watch for a more detailed explanation:

On 8/23/2016 at 1:48 PM, beast said:

Wellcome to GPU Boost. There are things you can do to try and alleviate the problem (see reply above me); regardless, dropped clocks are a normal occurrence.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Increasing power limit isnt going to damage my card?

I have seen on youtube, every one who is using the 1070 gaming x has the clock speed dropped to 1898mhz when hitting 68-70 degrees. (i am talking about 1070 without oc)

6 hours ago, beast said:

No. You can do it no problems.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

7 hours ago, beast said:

The worst thing that can happen is the card's temperature might climb a bit, that's why the video I posted above suggested increasing fan speeds. My 1070 does not run noticeably hotter with the power limit maxed out, and I leave my fans at stock. Just do a few test runs and pay attention to it.

Nvidia hard-codes rather conservative limits for power and voltage into the card's BIOS, and the sliders in Afterburner cannot override that. So it's pretty hard to actually do any damage using the stock BIOS and the options Afterburner gives you. Bumping it up by the ~12% or so that Afterburner allows is safe.