I recently bought a gtx 1080 strix waterblock, and after draining and placing it in my loop the temps have been super high. By high I mean 35c idle and up to 90c while load before it throttles down. I followed the instructions, I've had watercooled cards before and they never get above 50c (I have a 240mm and a 360mm radiators). The only thing that has made any sense to me on why this could be happening is if I put too much thermal paste on, or there is a massive airbubble in the block. I never fully tested the card, all I did was made sure it put out a signal, which it did. So has anyone ever had this issue? If so or if not any ideas on what I should do? Thanks.

Just to add this is only happenin to my gpu, my cup has yet to get about 45 while under load for an hour.

2 minutes ago, zombieaays2suck said:

I recently bought a gtx 1080 strix waterblock, and after draining and placing it in my loop the temps have been super high. By high I mean 35c idle and up to 90c while load before it throttles down. I followed the instructions, I've had watercooled cards before and they never get above 50c (I have a 240mm and a 360mm radiators). The only thing that has made any sense to me on why this could be happening is if I put too much thermal paste on, or there is a massive airbubble in the block. I never fully tested the card, all I did was made sure it put out a signal, which it did. So has anyone ever had this issue? If so or if not any ideas on what I should do? Thanks.

You might have put too little thermal paste. If you had to remove plastic, it might still be there. Check for bubbles in your loop. If your tubes are opaque, then let only the pump run. If there is a bubble then you res water level would decrease. Maybe there isnt enough contact with the die. Screw it in better......

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Too much thermal paste will not cause an issue, to little however can and high temps can occur if the mount isn't on tightly/properly so try remounting and put a good amount of paste (I know it's a pain in the ass but what other choice do you have)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Alright I just took the card out and took it apart, it looked like I had enough thermal paste, but one spot in the middle had less than the surrounding parts. So I really applied and I'm currently leak testing my pc right now.

After starting it up it is still sitting around 40 degrees WHILE IDLE. Nothing in my loop component wise has changed. The only things that changed are the gpu, tubing and fluid. And if anyone is thinking isles just your loop it isn't. Because my CPU that is at 4.5ghz and 1.225 volts sits at 30 degrees. So I'm thinking it might just be a bad chip. How well does Asus handle these issues? Thanks guys.

I just contacted asus and they want me to replace the stock cooler and test it.

pics help a lot.  Did you configure the ports on the block right?

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Based off of the instructions yes the ports are configured correctly. I've emailed EK and I am just waiting in a response now.