Needing some new headphones, suggestions

XDroidie626

So my Sennheiser headphones are beginning to split and the internal wiring is becoming exposed so its time for a replacement, but ideally I don't want to spend over £50.

So I'm thinking some overhead full cup open back headphones, I am a fan of Sennheiser but if I cant get anything near my price range from them then I will switch brand.

The listening usage is mostly music and some gaming, mostly at home and office environments.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

What kind of music do you listen to?

You mentioned gaming, does it need to have a microphone as well? Or do you have a standalone mic.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, Atmos said:

What kind of music do you listen to?

You mentioned gaming, does it need to have a microphone as well? Or do you have a standalone mic.

Normally just charts music, and no mic either, I much prefer sound quality over extra features like mics

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

1 minute ago, XDroidie626 said:

Normally just charts music, and no mic either, I much prefer sound quality over extra features like mics

The Sennheiser HD 429 in that price are pretty solid options, Same goes for the Superlux HD668B headphones, though if I recall they have a slightly more enclosed sound stage, as they're not fully open backed.

that's kind of a weird price range, most headphones are a tough below 50 pound, or over 70 pound, the next real step ups in terms of quality of sound from stuff like those headphones are going to be around 80-100pound.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

The Sennheiser HD 429 in that price are pretty solid options, Same goes for the Superlux HD668B headphones, though if I recall they have a slightly more enclosed sound stage, as they're not fully open backed.

that's kind of a weird price range, most headphones are a tough below 50 pound, or over 70 pound, the next real step ups in terms of quality of sound from stuff like those headphones are going to be around 80-100pound.

I could step to £100 I suppose for the quality, what could you recommend?

I am also looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grado-SR80e-Prestige-Backed-Headphone/dp/B00L1LXOWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471702887&sr=8-1&keywords=Grado

If I am entering the £100 range I here they are good.

4 hours ago, XDroidie626 said:

I could step to £100 I suppose for the quality, what could you recommend?

I am also looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grado-SR80e-Prestige-Backed-Headphone/dp/B00L1LXOWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471702887&sr=8-1&keywords=Grado

If I am entering the £100 range I here they are good.

for 100£ you can get the HD 558

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I went to my local shop and tried a few headphones, I tried some Marshall Major 2 (None bluetooth) which when I selected the right EQ worked wonderfully, I know there closed headphones but they where £51 (Got a different color)

I tried a few Sennheisers but they didn't sound as good for the price at least, the only ones that beat the Marshals where my current IE headphones or Sennhiesers Momentum overheads.

Thanks for the advice all