Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how to thoroughly clean dust from inside fins on radiator

So I am rebuilding my system and will be putting filters in the intake side of the rad this time but as I have everything out I wanted to get ALL of the dust from within the fins on the rad for max cooling efficiency.

Naturally, I 1st used a vacuum with light brush end and then some compressed air and then vacuum again on both sides. There is still dust in the fins so wanted to know the best way to get it out other than just running water through the fins as dust often shrugs it off.

Should I soak it in anything and for how long?

RInse with something other than hot water?

I do have Simple Green concentrate so was maybe going to soak the radiator in a solution of hot water and Simple Green (with tubes attached so nothing gets inside the rad) before I drain the system and replace the tubing.

Thoughts?

rad is a "Black Ice Stealth II" I believe

"BEFORE" PICS

WP_20130929_004.jpg

WP_20130929_003.jpg

----------------

Only as old as you game!!

Gaming since PONG invented in '70s

I would get some compressed air, and blow the radiator. I recommend using the fan in a pull config and get some dust filters to prevent dust from getting in. I also recommend positive case pressure (more intakes than exhaust).

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

blow the radiator.

he he he he ;)

Anyways, just use compressed air or water? I am not sure about water but it might work.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Cheap paintbrush to break dust loose. Softest bristles are a +. Then compressed air to blow it out.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

he he he he ;)

Anyways, just use compressed air or water? I am not sure about water but it might work.

Get a garden hose, and spray it. ;)

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I would get some compressed air, and blow the radiator. I recommend using the fan in a pull config and get some dust filters to prevent dust from getting in. I also recommend positive case pressure (more intakes than exhaust).

Solid advice.

+1

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Solid advice.

+1

Nice profile picture change. :) I like it.

i took my H100 and washed the radiator on the bathroom sink with out getting the pump getting wet. let it dry completely. no problem at all.

in your case since its a standalone radiator this can be even more easy.  

Nice profile picture change. :) I like it.

It has a whiff of WIN doesnt it.....

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

If you don't happen to have an air compressor a vaccum cleaner on it's lowest speed can clean a radiator. Just don't touch the radiator with the head or the brush. Hover it above the fins. The fins are fragile but if you take care you will be fine.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

dishwasher works fine for radiators. just make sure you probably dry them. otherwise you´ll get rust inside the sidecovers.