PC shuts off abruptly under CPU load with q-code 00 on mother board

Go to solution Solved by ANNIHILATOR284,
On 8/19/2016 at 4:37 PM, Captain_WD said:

That's rather strange. Try using the computer a bit without the GPU and see if there are ANY sort of problems at all. Continue using the system for a while. If there are no crashes then you should be able to safely narrow things down the the GPU and its connectivity. 

Taking the motherboard and the GPU to a technician or calling the motherboard's manufacturer or GPU manufacturer support can also give you some ideas on how to resolve this.

Try testing the system with another GPU and see if the same problems occur!

Captain_WD. 

new update and this might be it. i got a new psu (cooler master v650 fully modular) and just hooked it up. tried playing a little tomclancy rainbow six siege and also tha kombustor prime95 combo and....... it didnot go boom (fingers crossed it won't).

either ways i'll test it for a day or so and if the problem seems to be gone i shall mark it solved.

so I've had this problem since 3 days and it only got worse last night. every night i play rainbow six siege for 2-3hrs. and while in game 50-60mins down the pc would shut off as if someone has pulled the plug off the wall. it would then give 00 q-code on the motherboard. i then will have to cut the power for a good 5-10 minutes to get it to post again. since last night it has gotten worse. the second the cpu gets some load, the pc shuts off and then i'll have to go through the entire process to get it to start again. PC specs below

Here are the trouble shooting processes i've gone through so far:

1) run gpu stress tests (pass)

2) run prime 95 (fail)

3) monitor cpu tems ( max 75 dig C at full load) (i monitored this before the problem became worse)

4) monitor gpu temps ( max 65digs c)

5) monitor motherboard temps ( max 45digs c)

6) monitor power voltages using HWMonitor ( nothing un usual, everything where it needs to be)

7) made sure all cables were in properly

8) run memtest86 for 6hrs (pass)

PC Specs:

i7 4790k@ 4.8ghz, 1.39v

Asus Maximus vii hero motherboard

corsair H100i cpu cooler

12gb ddr3 memory

gigabyte HD7870 OC GPU

corsair gs700 psu

2x samsung 850evo 120gb SSD

seagate 1tb HDD

seagate 500gb HDD

WD green 2tb HDD

DVD read write drive (why not :P)

i've had the overclock since day one and had never faced an issue. it's been 100% stable so i don't think it's an oc issue.

my temps are way below the 'i should under clock to get them sub zero temps' feeling

when running prime95 it does not even last a second. while gaming it would run a good hour before shutting off but now as soon as the game is up, it's off.

Sketchbng.png

gh.png

vhfh.png

fdsg.png

Prime95 is not nice with haswell and broadwell CPUs. use something else, like the intel burn test

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Prime95 is not nice with haswell and broadwell CPUs. use something else, like the intel burn test

ok, give me 2 minutes

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

i am running the intel burn test as of now and the temps are fluctuating between 75 and 100dig c. but the pc didnot crash yet.

aida64 is a whole another story. i don't know what it means by stability test failed. please let me know.

dgfgd.png

Just now, ANNIHILATOR284 said:

aida64 is a whole another story. i don't know what it means by stability test failed. please let me know.

dgfgd.png

Honestly, I'm not an expert at these things, so I'm not sure how much I could help you.

have you researched what code 00 means on your particular motherboard?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Honestly, I'm not an expert at these things, so I'm not sure how much I could help you.

have you researched what code 00 means on your particular motherboard?

i have and in most cases it's either a cpu problem or a powersupply problem. since the cpu is seated properly with no bent pins or anything as such it is unlikely that the cpu is causing it. more over every time it ctashes i have to cut the power from the wall for a good 5 mins.

2 hours ago, ANNIHILATOR284 said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

I'm really sorry to hear about this situation. Narrowing things down you may either have a defective CPU, problematic PSU or a malfunctioning motherboard. 

Do try to run the system at stock speeds on its bare minimums (CPU only, single stick of memory, boot drive only, no GPU (use the on-board graphics)) and start it in safe mode and see if the issue persists. If it's OK start adding parts one by one and then see which one causes the issue. 

Do check if you have a pending BIOS update.

Contacting the motherboard's manufacturer support is a good idea here.

In order to be on the safe side that your data is still safe on your system I would strongly suggest to back it up somewhere and run diagnostic tests on all storage drives in the system with manufacturers' tools. For the WD Green drive that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

3 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there :)

I'm really sorry to hear about this situation. Narrowing things down you may either have a defective CPU, problematic PSU or a malfunctioning motherboard. 

Do try to run the system at stock speeds on its bare minimums (CPU only, single stick of memory, boot drive only, no GPU (use the on-board graphics)) and start it in safe mode and see if the issue persists. If it's OK start adding parts one by one and then see which one causes the issue. 

Do check if you have a pending BIOS update.

Contacting the motherboard's manufacturer support is a good idea here.

In order to be on the safe side that your data is still safe on your system I would strongly suggest to back it up somewhere and run diagnostic tests on all storage drives in the system with manufacturers' tools. For the WD Green drive that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic

Captain_WD.

this has been by far the most useful reply yet. i shall give it a try and revert back at the latest

38 minutes ago, ANNIHILATOR284 said:

this has been by far the most useful reply yet. i shall give it a try and revert back at the latest

underclocking it to stock speeds gave out no results. the problem remains

57 minutes ago, ANNIHILATOR284 said:

~snip~

Do try a complete BIOS reset and try the other options that I posted in my previous comment. 

If you get any info from the manufacturers' support do post it here. 

Also, when you continue testing post your progress so we can exclude some potential sources of the issue.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

18 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Do try a complete BIOS reset and try the other options that I posted in my previous comment. 

Also, when you continue testing post your progress so we can exclude some potential sources of the issue.

Captain_WD. 

on it

1 hour ago, Captain_WD said:

Captain_WD. 

bare minimum works just fine. and also with all drives.

Captain_WD. 

all good with ram and all drives and everything but the gpu. I don't like where this is going

16 minutes ago, ANNIHILATOR284 said:

~snip~

Did adding the GPU change something? Do try another PCI slot if you have one free. Also, try another power cable that goes in the GPU. Reinstalling the drivers could also help solving the issue. All of this should help you narrow things down to either the port, the cable, the software or the GPU itself. 

Test the rig with another GPU if you can. 

Captain_WD.

Captain_WD. 

everything seems to be stable even after adding the GPU. adding it did not make it crash. i don't understand.

7 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Did adding the GPU change something? Do try another PCI slot if you have one free. Also, try another power cable that goes in the GPU. Reinstalling the drivers could also help solving the issue. All of this should help you narrow things down to either the port, the cable, the software or the GPU itself. 

Test the rig with another GPU if you can. 

Captain_WD.

never mind. it crashed just as i was done posting my previous comment. 

22 minutes ago, ANNIHILATOR284 said:

~snip~

That's rather strange. Try using the computer a bit without the GPU and see if there are ANY sort of problems at all. Continue using the system for a while. If there are no crashes then you should be able to safely narrow things down the the GPU and its connectivity. 

Taking the motherboard and the GPU to a technician or calling the motherboard's manufacturer or GPU manufacturer support can also give you some ideas on how to resolve this.

Captain_WD. 

8 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Captain_WD. 

getting another gpu or a different cable to connect to the gpu is not possible as my power supply only has 2 and i don't have any friend for miles who can lend me one. i will use it without the gpu for a few hours

20 minutes ago, ANNIHILATOR284 said:

Continue using the system for a while. If there are no crashes then you should be able to safely narrow things down the the GPU and its connectivity.

interesting update. with the GPU off the rig, i tried running msi kombuster and prime 95 to artificially induce a gaming environment and BAM! crashed. 

just found out a friend of mine with same specs different gpu is also having the same issue.

could it be the power supply as mine had gone through 5-10 power cuts a day for a year and it's a 4 year old power supply and my friend has frequent voltage fluctuations.

2 minutes ago, ANNIHILATOR284 said:

tried running msi kombuster and prime 95 to artificially induce a gaming environment and BAM! crashed. 

MSI kombustor was set at 1080p with 4x anti aliasing and prime95 was set at smal FFTs. 
it did not crash at 720p 4x anti aliasing

1 hour ago, ANNIHILATOR284 said:

could it be the power supply as mine had gone through 5-10 power cuts a day for a year

Err,  you need to have a word with your hydro company regardless

On 8/19/2016 at 4:37 PM, Captain_WD said:

Captain_WD. 

alright! it's been almost a day but the pc seems to be stable without the gpu in. but it still keeps crashing when i run prime95 and kombustor at once. might change the powersupply and try again. thankyou! will keep you posted.

On 20.08.2016 г. at 2:55 PM, ANNIHILATOR284 said:

~snip~

So, any change? did you try with another PSU or a GPU? 

This may be caused indeed by the GPU or the PSU or the motherboard itself. Without the GPU it can't be fully put under heavy load and running the two software programs may be causing some issues. 

Post back with some development. 

Captain_WD.