Windows 10 adoption rate having a hard time with businesses

2000px-Windows_10_Logo.svg.png

After a full year since the release of W10 it seems like businesses are still reluctant to do the switch. The data comes from Softchoice and out of 169 US and Canada based firms and more than 400.000 machines only .75% of those were on W10

This news comes from Softchoice, which took data from its TechCheck IT asset management service pertaining to 169 firms in the US running over 400,000 Windows machines – finding that only 0.75% of these were using Windows 10

The data collected goes further showcasing how split is the pie: 91% for W7 (up 18% compared to last year), 4% for W8 and 5% for XP and interestingly:

The firm noted that larger enterprises were the worst offenders in terms of still being stuck on Windows XP.

source: http://betanews.com/2016/08/12/business-reluctant-windows-10/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Well, yeah. It's hard to change whole companies to a new OS, and with the amounts of complaints about 10, and how good 7 was, it's no surprise. Especially when you factor in the failures of 8 and 8.1.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Unsurprising. If a business runs a version of Windows that does everything they need there's no reason to upgrade and risk issues which could cost money.

Hell, I walked into a local business the other day and the PC at the desk was running 95...

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

It's hard to change whole companies to a new OS

Basically this. It's why Windows XP had such a long life, too. Businesses were reluctant to upgrade.

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

Unsurprising. If a business runs a version of Windows that does everything they need there's no reason to upgrade and risk issues which could cost money.

Hell, I walked into a local business the other day and the PC at the desk was running 95...

A lot of the PCs at Gatwick airport are running XP. Some of them had the taskbar up when I was going through.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Some of the businesses I do stuff for wanted to switch but couldn't because they were franchises and corporate didn't support 8 yet let alone 10...

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Windows 10 is too unstable for most companies to even consider it so this isn't a surprise, rather it is too be expected since microsoft focused on making an ecosystem and unnecessary features rather than making a rock solid OS

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

This makes sense because they are not going to upgrade to a new OS until they are 100% sure all their software works flawlessly on the new OS. And even then they are probably not going not going to upgrade existing machines but instead wait until they are replacing all the machines anyway.

but windows 10 has backward compat all the way to xp. So software wise there shouldn't be any issues at all.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

but windows 10 has backward compat all the way to xp. So software wise there shouldn't be any issues at all.

it's not the same

you also have to upgrade the hardware

we just barely got one of our customers to get upgrading from XP to Windows 8 and by the time they started to bring in the new hardware, Windows 10 was a thing

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Windows 10 restarts my computer frequently to install updates without my permission while I am using it, even after a series of GP modifications to stop this, WTF. The OS is broken, and not fit for purpose in many business environments. I would be extremely hesitant to allow windows 10 to be used at this time, as the occasional data loss and delays at home is a nuisance, but instrument downtime and data loss at work could cost upwards of $10,000 for an unexpected restart.

At work, we have PCs are running scientific equipment which are running 24/7. Restarts are pre-planned months in advance, and updates are seldom performed as they often break the communication protocols to the equipment. The vendor supplied software does not run on any OS later than Windows 7, with our oldest instruments still stuck on XP, and software updates typically only come with new instruments which might be replaced in 10-15 years.

6 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

There are a lot of software packages used by businesses that do not work on Windows 8 and up, and still some which do not work on windows 7 either.

Theres nothing good in windows 10 for business, the whole cortana/Store bollocks is not usefull for any business, what actually windows needs is way way out of this picture read this article scroll down a bit to where problems are listed http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

I dont think windows has a future, when android mobile devices will get good enough for work the windows usage is going to go down very fast.

Well that's not exacly suprising is it?

An OS that gets a major update every year and changes a lot of crap all the time isn't exactly what you want.

W7 had 1 major update, that's it. And tbh that's great.

I don't think there is a W7 SP on the way so if you install a bunch of W7 systems now, they will work fine if the config is done properly from day 1 until the support runs out.

With W10 you know for sure, 100% sure you will have to check the complete config that can take weeks to do properly every single YEAR.

Bunch of time wasted for tbh nothing and as we know, time is money and companies don't like such thing.

So even if W10 is somehow better (not the case) it's just not worth it for companies.

It's probably cheaper to put new systems on W7 and switch to W10 as late as possible.

Server 2016 isn't even here atm so once that launches you might have to transfer the whole circus to that too once it's here...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

Except it doesn't work it seems. I have had it point black refuse to run programs because they won't run in windows 10, even after setting up compatibility.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

At my workplace, people just did the upgrade themselves. Medium-sized company. The IT department sent out a couple of reminders about the final day to upgrade for free.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

3 hours ago, deviant88 said:

Theres nothing good in windows 10 for business, the whole cortana/Store bollocks is not usefull for any business, what actually windows needs is way way out of this picture read this article scroll down a bit to where problems are listed http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

I dont think windows has a future, when android mobile devices will get good enough for work the windows usage is going to go down very fast.

Android already is what WIn 10 is trying to be, so if bringing Android to actual PCs is the deal (my worst PC nightmare, by the way), then MS got there first...

Bottom line: when there's money on the table, shiny marbles won't fool anyone.

No one needs new stuff for the sake of it. So either companies want to do something new not supported by old versions, or the new version must allow them to do the same stuff in a substantially better way, because no one is going to risk non-smooth upgrades, frictional transitions, and personnel retraining (even if minimal) for a 2% improvement on Outlook initialization.

Upgrading to a new OS for businesses is a huge job, especially for large businesses with hundreds, if not thousands of computers; they've gotta get all the correct drivers for all the machines, get all the machines set up, make sure all the programs are compatible, get all the programs set up, make sure the employees know how to use the new operating system, etc...

For a small company with maybe 5-10 computers, not that big of a deal in terms of upgrading the PCs, however, it'd take likely a day or more to complete, so business operations could be suspended for that long, and that'd just be more trouble for them. (Unless they did it over the weekend or such)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

my school uses windows xp

;) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Well this is not surprising, Look how long it has taken most companies to switch away from XP. :| 

I still know some companies that utilize XP today... That is because of the software that is used cost millions to reproduce for a newer OS.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Windows 10 restarts my computer frequently to install updates without my permission while I am using it, even after a series of GP modifications to stop this, WTF. The OS is broken, and not fit for purpose in many business environments. I would be extremely hesitant to allow windows 10 to be used at this time, as the occasional data loss and delays at home is a nuisance, but instrument downtime and data loss at work could cost upwards of $10,000 for an unexpected restart.

At work, we have PCs are running scientific equipment which are running 24/7. Restarts are pre-planned months in advance, and updates are seldom performed as they often break the communication protocols to the equipment. The vendor supplied software does not run on any OS later than Windows 7, with our oldest instruments still stuck on XP, and software updates typically only come with new instruments which might be replaced in 10-15 years.

There are a lot of software packages used by businesses that do not work on Windows 8 and up, and still some which do not work on windows 7 either.

The new update (16xx) allow you set up when you wont update(Restart) or you could go with PRO version, i have not experience a force shutdown or update. It only updates when i say it so. 

Magical Pineapples

Windows 10 is buggy, unstable, and unreliable for home use. It also is invasive, resets user configurations, restricts what a person can do to set things the way they want...

Win 10 is a mess of a fickle OS even for home use, so there's no way it would appeal to businesses. Businesses only need and want a rock-solid reliable platform, that doesn't change, and which is easy to be set up exactly the way they want it to be. Businesses have that in Windows 7, or Vista, or XP. But Windows 10 doesn't offer that.

Plus, what business wants to allow another company to arbitrarily collect data from their systems? Non-worldly kids on internet forums, who maybe imagine Microsoft as some benevolent Santa Claus, might suggest that it's no big deal, but no serious business, or individual, is even going to give such a proposition the time of day. An IT could get themselves fired for installing data-compromising software like Win 10 on company systems.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I like how people are ignoring the fact that businesses take forever before they upgrade to a newer operating system, and instead pinning it on "Oh, it's unstable/invasive/shit!". They do not upgrade as quickly as consumers do. Hell, some are still running Windows 95 and even MS-DOS.

Why do you think Windows XP was supported for 13 years? Because businesses didn't want to upgrade from it for the longest time, and by the time they finished testing Vista before rolling it out business-wide, Windows 7 was out. And even then, MS still had trouble convincing businesses to upgrade from XP, because XP still worked for those businesses.

I'm sure the stability and privacy of the OS are considered in there somewhere, but honestly, think about how a business works compared to consumers. Hardware and software cycles are much slower with businesses than consumers. They greatly prefer stability over the fanciest new things, because any amount of downtime can be very costly for them.

6 hours ago, DXMember said:

it's not the same

you also have to upgrade the hardware

I run windows 10 on my htpc, using a core 2 duo of the first gen at 2.67 ghz...