PC won't boot with dual channel (Z97 4690K)

Hi,

Some time ago I sent my i5 4690K to RMA because of crazy high temps. I used i5 5676C meanwhile. I am using MSI Z97 Gaming 3 motherboard. Today I received replacement for 4690K, so reset BIOS to default and installed 4690K, but PC didn't want to boot, it will just shut itself down almost instantly over and over. So I tried switching back to 5675C, still the same, PC stayed on for like 6 seconds instead of 3 but it will shut itself down without displaying any signal to the display. Then I tried to reset CMOS, remove battery for some time, nothing worked. Then I removed one memory stick and suddenly PC booted up flawlessly. I can stress CPU, GPU or both at the same time with no stability issues, benchmarks scores are also proper for CPU and GPU. Picture is displayed properly, drives are working properly, USB ports too, everything is working fine. 

However both sticks of RAM are working if standalone and I can boot PC on both of them standalone without issues, but they won't work together. I am using slot 2 and 4 as guide says. Putting stick in 1 and 3 slot results in the same, PC won't boot. Putting one stick in slot 2 - working perfectly. 

So far I tried with both XMP (2400 MHz) and default speeds (1600 MHz). Info about RAM sticks here: https://www.morele.net/pamiec-patriot-viper3-black-mamba-ddr3-2400-cl10-8gb-pv38g240c0k-584094/

zddmQWd.jpg

What may be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

6 minutes ago, Krzych said:

Hi,

Some time ago I sent my i5 4690K to RMA because of crazy high temps. I used i5 5676C meanwhile. I am using MSI Z97 Gaming 3 motherboard. Today I received replacement for 4690K, so reset BIOS to default and installed 4690K, but PC didn't want to boot, it will just shut itself down almost instantly over and over. So I tried switching back to 5675C, still the same, PC stayed on for like 6 seconds instead of 3 but it will shut itself down without displaying any signal to the display. Then I tried to reset CMOS, remove battery for some time, nothing worked. Then I removed one memory stick and suddenly PC booted up flawlessly. I can stress CPU, GPU or both at the same time with no stability issues, benchmarks scores are also proper for CPU and GPU. Picture is displayed properly, drives are working properly, USB ports too, everything is working fine. 

However both sticks of RAM are working if standalone and I can boot PC on both of them standalone without issues, but they won't work together. I am using slot 2 and 4 as guide says. Putting stick in 1 and 3 slot results in the same, PC won't boot. Putting one stick in slot 2 - working perfectly. 

So far I tried with both XMP (2400 MHz) and default speeds (1600 MHz). Info about RAM sticks here: https://www.morele.net/pamiec-patriot-viper3-black-mamba-ddr3-2400-cl10-8gb-pv38g240c0k-584094/

What may be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Reset your CMOS

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

Reset your CMOS

I said that I already did.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

Just now, Krzych said:

I said that I already did.

CMOS is different from BIOS

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

CMOS is different from BIOS

You didn't even read my post.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

maybe u try to mix the ram that has different frequency and timings or brands.
thats why they wont work together.
or try to install all your ram one by one in single channel.
maybe one of your ram is faulty.

You also didn't read my post. I said that I tried both standalone and they are both working if in single channel. I also linked the RAM stick, those are dual stick 2x4GB, identical sticks, they were working together before.

Spoiler

All right, it looks like first to RAM slots are working and second two are not. If everything worked before, and now it is not working with both CPUs, then it means that some socket pins are bend?

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Krzych said:

All right, it looks like first to RAM slots are working and second two are not. If everything worked before, and now it is not working with both CPUs, then it means that some socket pins are bend?

it could just be as simple as updating the BIOS to latest version.

Download that from the official website, it should be a zip file.

Extract it onto a USB, it should be a .CAP file after extraction, and then go to BIOS and update to the latest version. Looks like version 2.A is the latest.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-3.html#down-bios

After BIOS update, try starting your PC with dual channel again.

***Caution, when updating BIOS, do not turn off power or unplug the USB, this could cost the mobo to fail until send back for RMA***

Regards,

msi gaming 3.PNG

It could be an issue of the BIOS needing to be updated, (resetting CMOS by using jumping pins or removing the battery, make sure that you remove the battery.), or... make sure that you're using the second and fourth positions in the motherboard ram slots for dual channel mode.

2 minutes ago, Aezesel said:

It could be an issue of the BIOS needing to be updated, (resetting CMOS by using jumping pins or removing the battery, make sure that you remove the battery.), or... make sure that you're using the second and fourth positions in the motherboard ram slots for dual channel mode.

most likely like what i said in my post :)

BIOS needs to be updated to the latest version 

BIOS was already updated when I was posting this thread, this is too obvious thing to do always once issues are occurring and you don't see any fault on hardware level. 

Here is my socket:

fCT2nOB.jpg

You can see bent pin in top left corner of the socket

Can one tiny pin cause half of RAM slots not to work?

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, Krzych said:

BIOS was already updated when I was posting this thread, this is too obvious thing to do always once issues are occurring and you don't see any fault on hardware level. 

Here is my socket:

You can see bent pin in top left corner of the socket

Can one tiny pin cause half of RAM slots not to work?

Yups. That pin might have something to do with the memory controller on the cpu. 

Ehhh, I have to take motherboard out and try to fix the pins. Could have been more careful.

Spoiler

@dreamhacking @NoobCase @Aezesel

I checked pins carefully and compared it with Intel specs (page 112) and it looks like one pin is in wrong position and one is completely missing. I am not going to risk fixing pins, I will just return this mobo.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

Best of luck man. 

No luck needed here because I bought this mobo 12 days ago, and here in Poland you can return anything within 14 days without saying why, so I will easily get a refund and get new mobo. But thanks anyway :) 

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Krzych said:

No luck needed here because I bought this mobo 12 days ago, and here in Poland you can return anything within 14 days without saying why, so I will easily get a refund and get new mobo. But thanks anyway :) 

it's very good to know you have such a good policy over there :D

22 minutes ago, dreamhacking said:

it's very good to know you have such a good policy over there :D

Its just general European Union regulation law for every member country. Everything bought on European Union territory has such policy. 

Spoiler