Have Samsung been lying to employees about what chemicals they're being exposed to?

Master Disaster

In recent years more than 200 Samsung employees have gotten sick and 76 of them have died, a group of victims and family members is now claiming this is because of the chemicals they've been exposed to while working at Samsung. 

The victims are in the process of claiming compensation from Samsung but are claiming that the electronics giant is hiding behind the trade secrets act to hide exactly what these chemicals are in order to prevent this claim from succeeding. Without the knowledge of exactly which chemicals they've been exposed to its impossible for them to prove a link. 

The families of workers say there are about 200 cases of employees contracting serious diseases, including cancer, an investigation by the Associated Press news agency found.

Samsung withheld the information saying it came under trade secrets, said AP.

Samsung said the safety of its workers was its "number one priority".

A group of workers' families has said 76 people have died due to contact with the chemicals.

The victims need the information to qualify for compensation.

They allege Samsung withheld the information from South Korean authorities under the justification of trade secrets, an accusation the company firmly denied.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37042199

Holy crap Samsung, if 200 of your workers are sick and 76 have died I would of thought you would want to know why. I mean without workers you have no business. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

"So that's why they've all got third arms growing out of their chests!" Samsung 2016

In all seriousness, that's pretty horrid. I would have thought they'd care more about their workforce, they are the ones who really drive the company.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Samsung has  489,000 employees according to Mr. Google
The average cancer rate is about 300 per 100,000 people per year, so 200 people out of 489,000 people contracting cancer isn't anything abnormal

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

4 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Samsung has  489,000 employees according to Mr. Google
The average cancer rate is about 300 per 100,000 people, so 200 people out of 489,000 people contracting cancer isn't anything abnormal

200 people from one company contracting serious illness (no one said they've all got cancer btw) and 76 dying within a few years "isn't anything abnormal?" Do the pigs in your local area fly? 

You realise your measuring the global cancer rate against the employees of a single company, right? 

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

200 people from one company contracting serious illness (no one said they've all got cancer btw) and 76 dying within a few years "isn't anything abnormal?" Do the pigs in your local area fly? 

You realise your measuring the global cancer rate against the employees of a single company, right? 

Samsung is a MASSIVE company, and I would assume the Global cancer rate would apply to employees of any company including samsung. The death rate for cancer is around 150 per 100,000 people so 76 people dying from serious illness isn't surprising. It doesn't say what illness they had, and there is little evidence for chemicals, so I'm just saying that the death rate for the employees isn't that high, and is actually low compared to the rate of cancer death.
EDIT: It's not clear how many samsung employees are factory workers, so the rate of death may actually be high, but it's not clear based on the article

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

30 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

"So that's why they've all got third arms growing out of their chests!" Samsung 2016

In all seriousness, that's pretty horrid. I would have thought they'd care more about their workforce, they are the once who really drive the company.

Samsung is a chaebol. The only person that matters in the company is Lee Kun Hee. 

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

2 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Samsung is a MASSIVE company, and I would assume the Global cancer rate would apply to employees of any company including samsung. The death rate for cancer is around 150 per 100,000 people so 76 people dying from serious illness isn't surprising.

The global cancer rate is measured against 6 billion people, not 400,000 people. 

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The global cancer rate is measured against 6 billion people, not 400,000 people. 

Are you from the 90's? The world population has been at 7 billion for a few years now.

56 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

In recent years more than 200 Samsung employees have gotten sick and 76 of them have died, a group of victims and family members is now claiming this is because of the chemicals they've been exposed to while working at Samsung. 

The victims are in the process of claiming compensation from Samsung but are claiming that the electronics giant is hiding behind the trade secrets act to hide exactly what these chemicals are in order to prevent this claim from succeeding. Without the knowledge of exactly which chemicals they've been exposed to its impossible for them to prove a link. 

Holy crap Samsung, if 200 of your workers are sick and 76 have died I would of thought you would want to know why. I mean without workers you have no business. 

200 out of 470.000+ employees...

That is less then 0.02%.... 76 deaths out of that makes for 0.000something% of total work-force.

I bet Samsung has more deaths in their heavy metal construction divisions then this.

19 minutes ago, Dobbsjr said:

Are you from the 90's? The world population has been at 7 billion for a few years now.

no no no.... according to tumblr feminist theory, men arent worth anything. As women make up 53% of the global "population" we are barely about 3.6billion people. Due to this, overpopulation is also a myth, created by the allmighty patriarchy and its followers in order to starve women so they can fit their ideal body standards.

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

no no no.... according to tumblr feminist theory, men arent worth anything. As women make up 53% of the global "population" we are barely about 3.6billion people. Due to this, overpopulation is also a myth, created by the allmighty patriarchy and its followers in order to starve women so they can fit their ideal body standards.

My life has been a lie. Since I am male, it must be the morally right thing to kill myself. 

4 hours ago, Prysin said:

I cannot flaw this logic.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

6 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

Samsung is a MASSIVE company, and I would assume the Global cancer rate would apply to employees of any company including samsung. The death rate for cancer is around 150 per 100,000 people so 76 people dying from serious illness isn't surprising. It doesn't say what illness they had, and there is little evidence for chemicals, so I'm just saying that the death rate for the employees isn't that high, and is actually low compared to the rate of cancer death.
EDIT: It's not clear how many samsung employees are factory workers, so the rate of death may actually be high, but it's not clear based on the article

I'm sorry, but your statistics are innately flawed. Let's start in agreeing with your arguments for how massive Samsung is, and it's global reach: the article only mentioned Korea when referencing employees and judiciary action. Of Samsung's employees, only about 1/4 of them work in Korea, roughly 100,000; while this still fits well into the statistics you've provided, it certainly does raise that ratio. Furthermore, global cancer rate is no longer applicable; you'd need to find the specific statistics for Korea (Note, this is currently just shy of 118 deaths per 100,000: http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/all-cancers/by-country/). Then, you'd also need to exclude stats coming from retirees/old people not working, as well as young children, effectively limiting it to working age Koreans (estimate on average 17-71; official retirement age is 60, but in reality most people tend to have to work much later than that). Next limit this sample to factory workers, to people who would actually be exposed to potentially harmful chemicals. You will find the number of employees far below 100,000 but the number of cancer deaths and sicknesses will remain the same, which ends up being an abnormally large amount. Don't believe me? There was released today by the Associated Press a new article which (in my opinion) is far better at detailing the suspicious activity going on: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ea1b8280b50b4ad3a9bdcd9def798914/2-words-keep-sick-samsung-workers-data-trade-secrets . It's not just about the sicknesses and deaths; the overwhelming majority of cases involve some form of "trade secrets" which prevents the government from forcing Samsung to disclose the chemicals they are using, and thus makes it impossible for any of those cases to proceed, especially against the corporate lawyers Samsung is able to have protect itself. Samsung has been asking the government to prevent the disclosure of the chemicals used, even though Korean judges have requested this information. Those 76 deaths? The people were in their 20's and 30's, which only further adds to the suspicion of harmful chemicals.

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yo, op, there's a better article to use/include as a citation, since many people seem to be really unconvinced, and the BBC is rather lacking in delivering information which explains why the whole situation is shady: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ea1b8280b50b4ad3a9bdcd9def798914/2-words-keep-sick-samsung-workers-data-trade-secrets

Can't believe there are actually some people justifying this. Definitely wouldn't be the case if it ever was the fruit company even though they don't directly manufacture anything

The article the OP has linked doesn't have enough information

Here's a better one from huffing ton post with much more details

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/08/10/samsung-workers-sick-dying_n_11424158.html

Samsung) once offered me 1 billion won ($864,000), asking me to stay silent. The idea was to deny her illness was an occupational disease and to leave me without any power to fight back.''

In a situation where people's lives are at stake, (Samsung) brought uninformed kids from the countryside and acted like money is everything, using them as if they were disposable cups.''

"There was never any education (at the factory) about what kind of chemicals could be bad so that we could be more careful.''
— KIM MI-SEON, 36, a former Samsung display worker who lost her sight after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Kim lives in a government-subsidized apartment with her sisters.

This Is pure negligence and Samsung should be fined very heavily for this. Can't believe it took this long to come out into the press

There has never been a large-scale manufacturer that has ever considered the safety of their employees to be a priority. They're only concerned about liability. Hence why the progressive movement was so violent... If you can make it so you can't be held liable, you don't need to bother with that costly safety bullshit. South East Asia could really use a progressive movement like 'western' nations had during the industrial revolution. Just hopefully they can hold on to the rights they earn unlike the U.S. who lets them slowly get stripped away due to money and ignorance among the population...

What this has to do with this is that Samsung could have easily decided that the cost of losing secrets if they had better safety was greater than paying for the potential lawsuits. Car companies did this sort of thing several times, so really wouldn't put it past a corporation like Samsung to think that way.

But we shall see as this gets more attention whether it's people going for a cheap money grab, sensationalist news, Samsung being a dick, or some combination.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

:( 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

In all seriousness, that's pretty horrid. I would have thought they'd care more about their workforce, they are the ones who really drive the company.

"Now how can we put that third arm to good use?" - upper management

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Why is there no context?

Locale? Place of work? Out of how many people working there?

Without that information, there is no basis for allegations.

The AP article linked in this thread has more information than the bbc one, so it may carry what you seek.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

On 8/12/2016 at 4:25 AM, Master Disaster said:

No, it is measured among 200,000 people. No one has the resources to actually measure the entire world population.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

31 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

No, it is measured among 200,000 people. No one has the resources to actually measure the entire world population.

Nor is it practically possible to build such a statistic even if funding was a non issue. Large portions of the world doesnt have the medical facilities or even medical competence among doctors to diagnose cancer. We struggle even to diagnose the right kind of cancer in the western world, despite our seemingly allmighty medical expertice.

Screening 7 billion people, or a representational value of people, would take so long that your statistics would be irrelevant by the time of release due to generational changes in both enviromental, genetical and regional factors.

21 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

That one quote about MS: 

Environmental Toxins and MS

Although it's natural to wonder whether chemicals in the environment play a role in the development of multiple sclerosis, there is no conclusive research that ties MS to chemical exposures. Questions about the impact of pollution or toxins come up whenever people perceive a "cluster" of MS diagnoses in one geographic area, implying that some element found in that location might be triggering the development of MS.

Researchers have theorized that lead, mercury, organic solvents, and air pollution might contribute to the risk of MS, but they have not established a clear link. Research in this area is ongoing.

There is 0 proof right now so that lady can't make a claim anyway. From this website http://www.everydayhealth.com/multiple-sclerosis/symptoms/multiple-sclerosis-environment/

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I've only heard horror stories of people working under Samsung. I know several engineers who have since left and now work for US companies with far better treatment. I can't imagine the situation for those who aren't even engineers. 

all companies say workers safety is number 1 priority.............. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016