2 drops of 70% alcohol dropped on CPU

While cleaning the thermal paste off with alchohol it some gushed out of the cotton ball and came off the silver plate and landed on the very short sides of the green part. I quickly took a q tip and absorbed the 2 drops and put the cpu at angle to see if any remaining liquid came off. The green part of where the alcohol fell onto is right next to the silver faceplate, on the front of the cpu not the back. Will this CPU be good?

Yea, you should be just fine. I usually have some run off the side on accident with I use my Arctic cleaning solutions too. It should be just fine.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Was the computer on?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

It's fine.  It's a misconception that liquids harm electronics.  While yes, tap water or other impure water could carry current and short something, that's only if it is powered up.  You could gently rinse a motherboard in  your sink and assuming you let all the water dry before powering it up again, it'd be ready to go.  Also fun fact laboratory grade distilled water can't carry electricity either, you could pour pure water on a running computer and NOTHING would happen.

The alcohol evaporates VERY quickly, once it was dried off and any residue will evaporate and it's 'gone'.  Also, alcohol can't conduct electricity in the first place.  Any water in the alcohol would also be sufficiently pure that it can't conduct electricity either.

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Was the computer on?

If he's trying to clean the thermal paste off while the computer is turned on he's doing it wrong.....

Just now, imreloadin said:

If he's trying to clean the thermal paste off while the computer is turned on he's doing it wrong.....

You'd be surprised what people do here.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

You'd be surprised what people do here.

You've made me well aware of that.

i remember a story back in the day when a guy thought he could be fast enough to change a graphics card without turning off his PC. this was way way back when AGP videocards and techtv was still a thing. Don't underestimate the power of human derpiness

4 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

You've made me well aware of that.

A guy once snapped his 980ti and a guy bought a new $5000 Xeon that didnt work in his motherboard and he also snapped his 950 pro

Spoiler

AXIOM

28 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Was the computer on?

The computer was not on LMAO and the cpu was fully off of the mobo. But I guess its fine by what everybody is saying

14 minutes ago, Amgzzz said:

The computer was not on LMAO and the cpu was fully off of the mobo. But I guess its fine by what everybody is saying

Then its fine

Spoiler

AXIOM