Corsair ML series fans in DC mode?

Anybody have some insight on how these ML fans will perform in 3 pin DC mode? I was thinking of changing out the stock AF140L fans as these aren't really cooling for summer, reason why 3 pin is I will be connecting to a NZXT Grid+ V2 and it only has 3 pins but supports 4 pin in DC mode.

32 minutes ago, MetaDrow said:

Anybody have some insight on how these ML fans will perform in 3 pin DC mode? I was thinking of changing out the stock AF140L fans as these aren't really cooling for summer, reason why 3 pin is I will be connecting to a NZXT Grid+ V2 and it only has 3 pins but supports 4 pin in DC mode.

Running a PWM fan in DC mode will work, but is not advisable.  PWM fans require a constant 12v supply and are regulated by pulsing.  DC regulates fan speed by reducing/increasing voltage.  That's where the problems would start for the PWM fan.  If you plan to plug the PWM fans in and just run them at full speed or 12v, there shouldn't be any issues. 

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Running a PWM fan in DC mode will work, but is not advisable.  PWM fans require a constant 12v supply and are regulated by pulsing.  DC regulates fan speed by reducing/increasing voltage.  That's where the problems would start for the PWM fan.  If you plan to plug the PWM fans in and just run them at full speed or 12v, there shouldn't be any issues. 

Well the point of having them plugged in to the Grid+ V2 is to automate them based on temps so I guess it would be a problem.

Wait isn't the 4th pin strictly for pwm and the point of this is to able to run down to lower speeds without stalling? If I have it run min e.g 40% wouldn't it run fine just like a normal 3 pin fan?

Just now, MetaDrow said:

Wait isn't the 4th pin strictly for pwm and the point of this is to able to run down to lower speeds without stalling? If I have it run min e.g 40% wouldn't it run fine just like a normal 3 pin fan?

So what you're suggesting is running it at less than 12v?  

24 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

So what you're suggesting is running it at less than 12v?  

uhhh maybe? Idk it was just a thought. Noctua fans come with voltage downstep don't they, even though those are pwm?

I found this thread and thought it was pretty informative.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2754882/pwm-fans-generally.html

10 minutes ago, MetaDrow said:

Noctua fans come with voltage downstep don't they, even though those are pwm?

Probably only applies to only on Noctua fans themselves.

"Can I run 4-pin PWM fans on 3-pin fan headers?

PWM fans come with a 4-pin connectors for fully automatic speed control via your mainboard’s 4-pin PWM fan headers. Please note that 4-pin fans can also be connected to your mainboard’s 3-pin fan headers though. When connected to 3-pin fan headers, the fan will run at full speed (unless the mainboard supports voltage based speed control)."

http://noctua.at/en/support/faq/general-faqs/category/Fans

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

That's what I meant above.  Sorry if that wasn't stated better.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

That's what I meant above.  Sorry if that wasn't stated better.  

oh, no worries

8 minutes ago, MetaDrow said:

Please note that 4-pin fans can also be connected to your mainboard’s 3-pin fan headers though. When connected to 3-pin fan headers, the fan will run at full speed (unless the mainboard supports voltage based speed control).

So does this mean Noctua fans work? or am I an idiot and just repeating everything?

Just now, MetaDrow said:

or am I an idiot and just repeating everything?

You said it...   haha :D

They will work, but more than likely you'll be stuck at full speed.  

9 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You said it...   haha :D

They will work, but more than likely you'll be stuck at full speed.  

Well worth the try, either way I want to replace these AF140L fans. After some more research If it works, great! If not I am either going to have to pay up for a commander mini or find a work around.

Thanks for the help.

Just now, MetaDrow said:

Well worth the try, either way I want to replace these AF140L fans. After some more research If it works, great! If not I am either going to have to pay up for a commander mini or find a work around.

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome and good luck.

• 2 months later...

Hey OP, did they work? I've heard the maglev engine won't work on lower voltage, but seen Youtubers using them on 3 pin and they spin fine, though the LEDs get dimmer.

13 hours ago, MysticLTT said:

Hey OP, did they work? I've heard the maglev engine won't work on lower voltage, but seen Youtubers using them on 3 pin and they spin fine, though the LEDs get dimmer.

I ended up with the 3-pin Noctua ippc 2000rpm fans and not get the ML fans.

8 hours ago, MetaDrow said:

My MLs are in the mail, oh boy, I'm gonna learn the hard way.

9 hours ago, MetaDrow said:

Hm? As far as I know, iPPC's only come in the pwm variant. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 06/11/2016 at 4:12 PM, MetaDrow said:

It didn't work out, these are high rpms and the motherboard's version of "Silent" volatage spun them at 1600 rpm vs 1000 for old ones. It was unbearably loud so I had to remove them. Also the lighting, which was the only reason I bought them didn't look as beautiful as YouTube videos make them to be.

On 2016-11-07 at 2:08 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Hm? As far as I know, iPPC's only come in the pwm variant. 

http://noctua.at/en/products/product-line-industrial/nf-a14-industrialppc-2000

I thought so too until I took a look at their website

On 2016-11-08 at 8:07 PM, MysticLTT said:

It didn't work out, these are high rpms and the motherboard's version of "Silent" volatage spun them at 1600 rpm vs 1000 for old ones. It was unbearably loud so I had to remove them. Also the lighting, which was the only reason I bought them didn't look as beautiful as YouTube videos make them to be.

Time to join the Noctua fan club? lol