Do you really need an SSD for gaming?

Terobich
Go to solution Solved by ThinkWithPortals,
1 minute ago, Terobich said:

Hi, i'm planning to build my PC soon, i'm in a low budget so an SSD is kind of a hit to my wallet, i'm planning to get a 1tb WD HD.

Is it really necessary to buy an SSD?

What's your budget?

If you can get one, an SSD is SO worth it, trust me. PC boots faster, programs load faster and it generally makes the whole experience of using the computer snappier and more responsive.

Hi, i'm planning to build my PC soon, i'm in a low budget so an SSD is kind of a hit to my wallet, i'm planning to get a 1tb WD HD.

1 minute ago, Terobich said:

What's your budget?

If you can get one, an SSD is SO worth it, trust me. PC boots faster, programs load faster and it generally makes the whole experience of using the computer snappier and more responsive.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

It will have no impact on your framerates, however some games will take longer to load

if you have it as a boot (and OS) drive, it'll make your pc a lot more responsive. for gaming, it'll only make loading quicker, that's all. though i heard it also helps in streaming in textures 

It is not necessary, however after opting to switch over to SSD's during my latest build, I can say I will never go back to using HDD's solely. The quick responsiveness and loading/booting is just too great for me to go back to a mechanical drive.

I didn't believe it either. But they really do make everything feel so snappy (man, I sound like an info-mertial). 

Maybe look into older 60gb drives to save some budget and at least have a place for your os. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

20 minutes ago, Terobich said:

no but it'll make loading things faster

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Nah, an SSD is a luxury.

Read/write isn't often a limitation in games.

That said, it can affect old and poorly optimized games. Saints Row 1, GTA IV, and quite a few other games go from downright unplayable, to alright if you move them onto an SSD.

What I like most about my SSD is due to it's insane speeds, I can multi-task a lot more efficiently. I don't have to worry about slowing down other processes while I'm doing things, or vice-versa. It essentially means that outside of a gaming environment, I can better utilize my hardware to save time instead of having to wait for the HDD to catch up with the rest of the system.

1 hour ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

What's your budget?

Thanks to all, I think i'm buying it. :)