I dun goofed, only checked my University email last week, and now this D:

Okay, so I had a reassessment from University for a "challenge" at the start of the year, and I was told the assignment would be sent out end of June/start of July (as the lecturer was on Holiday who was sorting it all out) and I went on holiday and completely forgot about it until last week. I have been working on trying to get my knowledge on AppInventor (Program i've been told to use for it, which seems to be a block builder type program to code with) better but when it comes to this task I really don't know where to start. The theory behind it all seems so straight forward, but when it comes to trying to put the code together I'm really not having a good time. I've tried messaging my lecturer on it, however he seems to be away until the 13th August and this is due in on Friday.
Any help with anything would be really appreciated, I've attached the brief (and a finished .apk of the program he wants me to make, to use as "guidance", if anyone has any experience with Appinventor and wouldn't mind throwing me some of their experience, that'd be awesome!

I know, I'm an awful student for leaving it until the last minute, but I really wanted to try and get my head around it myself, but I've failed at doing so. Time to take to the forums and see if anyone can help.

CO1111_Reassessment (1).apk

AssessmentHelp.pdf

Good luck with your assignment, alas I can't help you though because I don't have the time.

Also, I've never heard of the program, is it like Eclipse?

Just now, Mug said:

Good luck with your assignment, alas I can't help you though because I don't have the time.

Also, I've never heard of the program, is it like Eclipse?

I'm not too sure, I've never used Eclipse, I've attached 2 gyazo's of the interface, both designer view and block view, to let you know if it is :)

Thanks, I'm sure I'm not gonna be sleeping until Friday haha

Block view: https://gyazo.com/daaf69778715b98d70a019a5da77bcd4

Designer View: https://gyazo.com/7f51ee6e8097798db77d6ffab6861ddb

3 minutes ago, Wiizimov said:

I'm not too sure, I've never used Eclipse, I've attached 2 gyazo's of the interface, both designer view and block view, to let you know if it is :)

Thanks, I'm sure I'm not gonna be sleeping until Friday haha

Block view: https://gyazo.com/daaf69778715b98d70a019a5da77bcd4

Designer View: https://gyazo.com/7f51ee6e8097798db77d6ffab6861ddb

Looks like a pretty neat little program

You may wish to buy some shares in energy drinks, you may need it :)

http://investors.monsterbevcorp.com/stockquote.cfm

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Just now, Mug said:

Looks like a pretty neat little program

Also looks like the death of me </3 

Just now, Wiizimov said:

Also looks like the death of me </3 

Just be open and honest, you may get an extension.  You will have to pull some serious hours to get it done like but, as long as you become committed to it 100% you should complete it.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Just now, Kierax said:

You may wish to buy some shares in energy drinks, you may need it :)

http://investors.monsterbevcorp.com/stockquote.cfm

You don't even know the start of it, I wouldn't mind the late night grinds if I knew how to even begin haha

I've looked at previous worksheets from the module itself but they're for making a quiz, absolutely nothing to help me here. Not even so much as learning how to do a score counter from the worksheets haha

app inventer is like scratch. I'm busy today hut I can maybe have a look tomorrow if your you're still needing help. What exactly do you need help with?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

app inventer is like scratch. I'm busy today hut I can maybe have a look tomorrow if your you're still needing help. What exactly do you need help with?

Just getting started with it really, game states like not being able to click any buttons until the start button is clicked, and giving the timer bar value and have the timer reset everytime the correct box is clicked.

Makes it sound like I want the work done for me, that's the last thing I want if I'm honest, I mean I wouldn't complain if I got an email sent by accident by my lecturer on how to do it all, but I really want to feel that sense of accomplishment understanding the code myself.

I'd appreciate the help! 

I would start be writing it down. How you need each bit to function.

like the timer would update a variable that you set to zero when this button is clicked.

for buttons set everything to disabled or hidden then change that when the start button is pressed.

100% agree with doing it yourself :P feels good knowing you made something.

Just now, vorticalbox said:

I would start be writing it down. How you need each bit to function.

like the timer would update a variable that you set to zero when this button is clicked.

for buttons set everything to disabled or hidden then change that when the start button is pressed.

100% agree with doing it yourself :P feels good knowing you made something.

The timer has to be like 2 seconds after it says out loud what button to click, it's sort of like making a mobile version of the game "bop it" if you remember that little hand held game back in the day. (this thing: Bop_it_Extreme.jpg)

I've just attempted to do some code as a basic of "When the red button is clicked, to add 1 to the score" but even that I'm having no luck with ahha attached the screenshot, everything seems to be perfectly in order, but just nothing. 

score.png

52 minutes ago, Wiizimov said:

The timer has to be like 2 seconds after it says out loud what button to click, it's sort of like making a mobile version of the game "bop it" if you remember that little hand held game back in the day. (this thing: Bop_it_Extreme.jpg)

I've just attempted to do some code as a basic of "When the red button is clicked, to add 1 to the score" but even that I'm having no luck with ahha attached the screenshot, everything seems to be perfectly in order, but just nothing. 

score.png

that game was so cool. I see nothing wrong with that code tbh :/ 

Looks a bit like labview....I hate labview.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

19 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

that game was so cool. I see nothing wrong with that code tbh :/ 

Quick update: I'm still yet to figure out why that code isn't working aha :l

18 hours ago, trag1c said:

Looks a bit like labview....I hate labview.

So redundant that I'm being made to use this, spent the entire year learning C++ as a language using various engines, now I'm being made to use some block builder, honestly so aids. 

56 minutes ago, Wiizimov said:

Tried the same code as you worked 100%

55 minutes ago, Wiizimov said:

So redundant that I'm being made to use this, spent the entire year learning C++ as a language using various engines, now I'm being made to use some block builder, honestly so aids. 

actually app inventor is very nice for being android apps,and even if you NEVER use this again you take away with you the experience of building an application and the logic that goes on the back ground to make it work. 

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

2 hours ago, Wiizimov said:

Is the code actually being executed? It could be that the button is disabled or something and the click event isn't actually being fired.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2016 at 5:01 PM, madknight3 said:

Is the code actually being executed? It could be that the button is disabled or something and the click event isn't actually being fired.

I managed to finish it all! Did a 90 minute workshop with a tutor to get me used to the program, and yes that was the issue haha the button was set to disabled by default.

Thank you anyway! :)

What sort of class would have you work in a visual script editor for app development?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

6 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

What sort of class would have you work in a visual script editor for app development?

Eh, the first 4 weeks of my team challenge alongside networking students, computing, forensics and software devs (The reason I was so late to do this, and why they set me solo work is because I started late onto the course). So they tried to find the simplest program that wasn't awful, hope I never have to use it again.