Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

2 hours ago, Cebreros said:

Is the last part of the game just before the Final Scene with the Helicopter, that bridge goes to a elevator literally the begining of the end of the game. its easy, just after the final boss

I got a save somewhere close there.  But I actually found the issue already i think. It's MSAA for me,  everything looks super aliased,  similar to your video,  especially doors for some reason.  But if I set to FXAA+TAA this issue almost disappears completely,  there's still some aliasing, but nothing what couldn't be in other games too... 

Usually I'd use Nvidia "enhancements" in such a  case, but the game is so buggy, i kinda doubt it would help.  And by buggy I don't mean big bugs,  mostly,  just a lot of small things that are weird and not consistent throughout. 

And yes, MSAA is completely broken in this game,  it's supposed to make it less aliased,  not more lol.

Edit: @Cebreroslooks like the same door to me , no aliasing whatsoever. 

residentevil3remakesc8qkok.thumb.png.d1951df60a2d1d13511da4c91417ffa9.png

You have to set it to FXAA + TAA, Cas/fidelity off and shadows highest...actually I set everything high/highest, except no CA and textures to 2GB 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, _princess_ said:

Hmm, after reading page 1 it seems like a zbuffering issue. There are 150 pages so I haven't read all the pages, maybe someone has solved this already idk.

My guess is its some kind of GPU issue where the zbuffer somehow loses floating point accuracy or something like that. How to fix it idk, I would experiment trying different graphics settings such as Direct X or Open GL. Maybe there is also a way to test GPU or drivers and see if it using 16 or 24bit buffer accuracy.

come join the discord server
https://discord.gg/vBUkMr5x

On 3/29/2021 at 2:46 AM, _princess_ said:

ok i joined, cant post in the theories section yet though

ask one of the admins to post it for you, what theory are we talking about, you can post it here as well 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 5:41 AM, Cebreros said:

I have that issue of the door too like if the borders be alive when i move, somethinkg like a bad reflection, overwatch, csgo, control any game, i think is flickering or shimmering as u called it guys

I have the same issue as you and its in a lot of games, Really bad in COD

https://gfycat.com/lividweirdgalapagoshawk-callofdutymodernwarfare2019

https://gfycat.com/beneficialredatlanticsharpnosepuffer-callofdutymodernwarfare2019

https://gfycat.com/unnaturalprestigiouseelelephant-callofdutymodernwarfare2019

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 12:15 AM, Asasinas said:

As far as I remember someone from this thread contacted Nvidia support and they said that this is a "brain glitch". You get it? A brain glitch. In other words, we are all idiots and this issue is just in our head.

I registered here to answer this, while I was looking for other things...

...Yes, it is a sort of "brain glitch".

Here's a story: a couple of years ago I was having some weird bugs in The Division while trying to use DX12 render. To make sure I wasn't having some hardware problems, I started checking other games I had installed. I launched The Witcher 3, and noticed that watching the road texture closely some of them where floating. Then I went to Black Desert, and saw that many textures were blurred or cut in half with different qualities, even close to the camera. Then I ran Warframe and noticed there were big square blocks in the textures from reflections. Then I ran Destiny 2, and noticed, right at the start, when enemies come from an opening with a bright pure white light, they are all blocky. As if running at a super low resolution with big pixels, but only happening with certain types of lights.

You know what happened? I simply noticed problems because I started looking for them. That's a very simple trick of perception. Whenever you start looking at tiny details you are also going to notice problems. Those problems were ALWAYS there. You just didn't pay attention... until you did.

That's why you can plug in old hardware you think never showed those problems, and find them anyway. Your believe something outside changed, when the truth is that it's your own perception and sensitivity that did.

It's also true that there's a point in time where more and more games started showing issues. There are coding "defaults", like the way certain features and techniques are coded in DX11 and 12, that become standard. For example there's a way to render screen reflections that, in my opinion, looks TERRIBLE. To the point that when I saw it the first time I thought it was a really bad bug. But it's just a reflection algorithm that is now quite popular. You can find it in Battlefront 2 and The Division 2. I really dislike the way The Division 2 looks. It has an excess of pixel crawling, due to these reflections, and flickering all over, like this video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bgP7lg-wgQ

You know what's wrong in that video? Nothing. That's how the game is. Some people notice and dislike it, some people just don't care.

Yes, that flickering happens even without any movement. Have you tried removing completely TAA? I did, went through the .ini files and manually disabled all forms of AA. Turns out the raw image isn't stable at all, so that's why TAA shows a constant flicker, because the source render shows an EVEN GREATER amount of pixel crawling instability.

You aren't going to see these problems being fixed as long the GAME CODE doesn't change. Some monitors may show or partially hide some of these problems but, as you see, they show in video. That means the source image has the problem, not the display.

In the end, game programmers just try to find different way to optimize code. There are compromises being made here and there, and certain software conventions are picked up and implemented across different games. In the last few years we have seen more and more of these techniques. You just happen to dislike them, same as I do. I also prefer an image that is "stable", without pixel crawling and shimmering all over the place.

But, again, these aren't "bugs" you can solve through a graphic driver or reinstalling windows. It's the game code, and how modern graphic engines are written.

You can go play The Division 1, and it looks beautiful, with advanced graphic effects. You can play The Division 2, and it looks like shit. With pixel crawling and texture/reflection shimmering all over the place that is almost seizure inducing. They made a choice I happen to dislike.

They just coded the two games differently, and there's nothing you can do about it. We're unlucky that they became more and more a standard, and so you notice them more frequently compared to a few years ago.

On 4/23/2021 at 7:19 PM, HRose said:

I registered here to answer this, while I was looking for other things...

...Yes, it is a sort of "brain glitch".

Here's a story: a couple of years ago I was having some weird bugs in The Division while trying to use DX12 render. To make sure I wasn't having some hardware problems, I started checking other games I had installed. I launched The Witcher 3, and noticed that watching the road texture closely some of them where floating. Then I went to Black Desert, and saw that many textures were blurred or cut in half with different qualities, even close to the camera. Then I ran Warframe and noticed there were big square blocks in the textures from reflections. Then I ran Destiny 2, and noticed, right at the start, when enemies come from an opening with a bright pure white light, they are all blocky. As if running at a super low resolution with big pixels, but only happening with certain types of lights.

You know what happened? I simply noticed problems because I started looking for them. That's a very simple trick of perception. Whenever you start looking at tiny details you are also going to notice problems. Those problems were ALWAYS there. You just didn't pay attention... until you did.

That's why you can plug in old hardware you think never showed those problems, and find them anyway. Your believe something outside changed, when the truth is that it's your own perception and sensitivity that did.

It's also true that there's a point in time where more and more games started showing issues. There are coding "defaults", like the way certain features and techniques are coded in DX11 and 12, that become standard. For example there's a way to render screen reflections that, in my opinion, looks TERRIBLE. To the point that when I saw it the first time I thought it was a really bad bug. But it's just a reflection algorithm that is now quite popular. You can find it in Battlefront 2 and The Division 2. I really dislike the way The Division 2 looks. It has an excess of pixel crawling, due to these reflections, and flickering all over, like this video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bgP7lg-wgQ

You know what's wrong in that video? Nothing. That's how the game is. Some people notice and dislike it, some people just don't care.

Yes, that flickering happens even without any movement. Have you tried removing completely TAA? I did, went through the .ini files and manually disabled all forms of AA. Turns out the raw image isn't stable at all, so that's why TAA shows a constant flicker, because the source render shows an EVEN GREATER amount of pixel crawling instability.

You aren't going to see these problems being fixed as long the GAME CODE doesn't change. Some monitors may show or partially hide some of these problems but, as you see, they show in video. That means the source image has the problem, not the display.

In the end, game programmers just try to find different way to optimize code. There are compromises being made here and there, and certain software conventions are picked up and implemented across different games. In the last few years we have seen more and more of these techniques. You just happen to dislike them, same as I do. I also prefer an image that is "stable", without pixel crawling and shimmering all over the place.

But, again, these aren't "bugs" you can solve through a graphic driver or reinstalling windows. It's the game code, and how modern graphic engines are written.

You can go play The Division 1, and it looks beautiful, with advanced graphic effects. You can play The Division 2, and it looks like shit. With pixel crawling and texture/reflection shimmering all over the place that is almost seizure inducing. They made a choice I happen to dislike.

They just coded the two games differently, and there's nothing you can do about it. We're unlucky that they became more and more a standard, and so you notice them more frequently compared to a few years ago.

I'M NOT AGREE WITH YOU MY DUDE. But i respect your opinion.

Computers, thankfully, aren't opinions.

We have plenty of proofs, in the form of videos and screenshots, of all those problems happening. They are real. I've seen none of the same games, same scenes, same settings, producing a different result.

This is something very easy to prove. You just have to take one of those games that show these shimmering/flickering, and show how on some hardware the problem is solved. Once we have a difference, we can look into it and find out what causes it. But without a starting point no argument even exists.

The only aspect might be framerate and screen refresh, since we're dealing with a form of flickering, so the speed of the screen update might have a role in this.

But, in general, the point is that we're dealing with hardware and code. These are easily proven. Some problems can be tricky to understand, but the issue here is the magical belief that they don't show up for some people, despite lacking even a single proof.

Guys any changes? I found one thing in windows settings. It's the one I meant when being on amd too and before this "problem" happened. Check this screenshots. So when I go to color settings and video staying there it looks like all you talking about and similar to some AA issues in games. But when I start playing it for a moment later it seems like Windows take care of it and it goes without any "stairs" jaggies all the way after. I can see it's changes on a fly.  Bruh it's nvidia take care of rendering. But why it can not be applied to game applications? Or how to do that?

Jewrdef.png

Jewrpl.png

Edited by Ashlander

1 hour ago, Ashlander said:

Jewrdef.png

Jewrpl.png

This one way smoother. And even games with bad AA looked like this before I start notice this troubles. I switched gpus and/or had windows updates.It happened to me right at 2020 end. Since then I start notice the issue. 2nd screenshot is exactly how it looks before I start notice this jaggies and stairs effects in games. And 1st one how it looks now. Can we agree that this is a real things?

Hello people, I also have this problem. No anti-aliasing method works in any of my games on Windows 10, it's less effective than it should be. There was the same problem with CS: GO, PUBG, Far Cry 5, CoD series etc games but I'll talk about GTA V right now:

Although FXAA is turned on and MSAA X8 at 1920x1080 resolution, the expected effect is not realized. The edges are still jagged and when they move, the surrounding objects shake, creating a very bad image. The funny thing is the performance of the game decreases according to these settings. So graphics like MSAA X2, but it drops FPS as if using MSAA X8. I've done alternative settings from the NVIDIA Control Panel but nah.

One thing I knew for sure was that Windows 7 did not have this problem. My games had sharp edges and there was no unnecessary drops. After doing some research, I saw that there are people from all over the world who face such problems but most people don't understand this situation because they probably don't have such problems. So not even one person can find a solution to this problem. This is a very insidious, annoying, hopeless problem and I think it's a DirectX 12 problem. Because when I install Windows 7 again I got the solution but I dont want to use Windows 7. 

Are there anyone who would like to say something about Windows 10's DirectX12 or suggest different solutions? I hope someday we find the real solution.

Windows 10 Pro 20H2
GTX 1050 4 GB
R7 2700
16 GB RAM
1TB HDD

I've had this problem back in 2017 when I purchased my GTX 1080 from the 2nd hand market and was really happy because the improvement from GTX 970 was noticeable in terms of speed and graphics quality. But it came to a really depressing experience and I can still remember one day after tweaking Rainbow Six Siege game shadows when it went bananas. I don't care much about flickering but the aliasing, jagged shadows and those elements that were normally loaded by games in low resolution we barely notice were worst than ever. I tried all my games that I usually play and suddenly they all have the same issues that wasn't there before to a point when you can no longer enjoy the game because it is too obvious and ruins the experience. I also went to nvidia forums and other forums but no fix. I am a pixel peeper back then and still today with pc games, when taking photos and purchasing camera lenses. I do think we can all recognize hardware and software limitations in-game, I was already convinced that this is just a "Brain Bug" for being a pixel peeper but the problem is real I tried using UPS, changing my PSU, reformat OS, overriding nvidia settings, trying different VGA bios and drivers but none of it worked. I finally gave up sold my GTX 1080 and bought 1070 and that fixed the issue which then upgraded to 1080ti and now using my 2080S still accessing my game folders from before and loading the Rainbow Six Siege, The Witcher 3, all the games I've had issues and still pixel peeping everything loads as it should and responds to in-game and nvidia global settings without the unacceptable issues. I hope ya'll find a way to fix it soon. Try not to screen capture or record using your pc it's not going to show on those without problems. I understand now coz I am checking screenshot and videos sent and I don't see the problem now but I know what you guys are talking about been there.

For those of you still believing this is a magical virus that spread during 2018.

Here's a nice video from 2013:

Enjoy. (it's not texture flickering, it's edge flickering, like all other examples)

On 5/1/2021 at 9:45 AM, Ashlander said:

Guys any changes? I found one thing in windows settings. It's the one I meant when being on amd too and before this "problem" happened. Check this screenshots. So when I go to color settings and video staying there it looks like all you talking about and similar to some AA issues in games. But when I start playing it for a moment later it seems like Windows take care of it and it goes without any "stairs" jaggies all the way after. I can see it's changes on a fly.  Bruh it's nvidia take care of rendering. But why it can not be applied to game applications? Or how to do that?

Jewrdef.png

Jewrpl.png

I don't know if i have the same issue as you, can you please tell me if i have it?

linus.PNG

When i move the door lines rumble or move like a shine like a white shine in Dark Souls 3, same happens to me in the demo of Resident Evil Village Castle i gonna put a video too

IMG_20210505_232729.jpg

Hi people, I want to say one more thing. I've only used Windows 7 for years but last June, I decided to use Windows 10. Actually I was biased towards Windows 10 but I installed it anyway. A few hours passed and after I customized my computer, I immediately started testing my games. And I started having this nasty, ugly, cruel, demonic problem. I blamed Windows 10 and on the same day I switched back to Windows 7. I swear I continued to play my games on Windows 7 without any problem. FXAA, MSAA etc was working flawlessly, as it should.

Last month I'm getting really bored with Windows 7 and I decided to switch to Windows 10 for sure. I installed Windows 10 even though I knew the problem that was waiting for me and I had the same problem but I was not surprised this time. I used W10 for 1 month and installed windows 7 yesterday to test again. And BOOM! This time same problem started on Windows 7. I was shocked. I installed W7 again and tried without installing DirectX, C++ and Net Framework but nothing changed. I tried to try without installing the NVIDIA driver but the games didn't open.

What I am trying to say, until yesterday I thought this issue was ok in Windows 7 but this year W7 gave me the same problem. Some people say this is a high-level virus found in cables, electrical outlets. And they say that once affected, it will no longer be the same. But in my opinion, this problem can't be a virus or a curse or something because as I said, it affected me last year but I got rid of it right away. But this year, I permanently affected. I have no doubt. Now I'm using Windows 10 again.

This is my story. I wrote these because perhaps it will be helpful or inspire you. Good luck!

Perhaps the problem is the windows antivirus that is limiting or blocking the games.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:53 AM, Cebreros said:

Dark Souls 3 same door but more close

Cebreros it is exactly what I'm talking about. Metal or glossy surfaces. They have this nasty sharp square white lines. When I was on amd gpu it looked like actual sun reflection. Kind of over stretched oval. I just made analysis of my perception and want to share. I'm not standing for any company or claim it's problem on amd or nvidia side. Just sharing experience and circumstances. Though I expect it's more on software level, on windows or/and directX side and conflict between specific ingame AA methods. Cause another games are totally fine. And want to point again: happened with metal or reflective surfaces when there light sources.
Little quick picture what I meant:

lightreflectionms.png

On 5/6/2021 at 9:34 AM, Cebreros said:

I don't know if i have the same issue as you, can you please tell me if i have it?

linus.PNG

It have some stairs on left windows and flickering lines on fence's grid. I have same when I get to this page and press play. But seconds later I actually see how computer smooth this lines and take care of fence. And that's why I post 2 pictures. Just open pictures where you can upscale it and notice the difference.