(NEED HELP AS FAST AS POSSIBLE) Something is filling up my ssd

HazeTheBeater

Hello... So yeah, something is filling up my ssd and i dont know what it is, las time i checked it was skype, i had like 50GB im photos and videos my shithead friends send... But the wierd part is that when i cleaned my recycling bin(idk how it is called) it only freed up 19.5gb of storage... anyways i ignored it. I was just happy i had some free space. That was yesterday, today, i check up my system and my ssd (The OS drive) Only has 9gbs left, i checked up my skype temp files (i think i did i right) i only had 800mb in there left.. So i deleted it all, and i still have 9gb left? How do i check whats eating up my storage? how can my system create 10gb of bullshit in one day? Please help... im also mad that my brand new ssd with about 600mb/s write/read (i dont really know) got got down to only 60/100mb/s. Sorry for my bad english

10 minutes ago, HazeTheBeater said:

Hello... So yeah, something is filling up my ssd and i dont know what it is, las time i checked it was skype, i had like 50GB im photos and videos my shithead friends send... But the wierd part is that when i cleaned my recycling bin(idk how it is called) it only freed up 19.5gb of storage... anyways i ignored it. I was just happy i had some free space. That was yesterday, today, i check up my system and my ssd (The OS drive) Only has 9gbs left, i checked up my skype temp files (i think i did i right) i only had 800mb in there left.. So i deleted it all, and i still have 9gb left? How do i check whats eating up my storage? how can my system create 10gb of bullshit in one day? Please help... im also mad that my brand new ssd with about 600mb/s write/read (i dont really know) got got down to only 60/100mb/s. Sorry for my bad english

Right click on the drive in your explorer and run Disk Cleanup.  After it scans your drive, select the files that you want it to clean/remove.  While you're in there, note which files seem to be taking up space.

Untitled.jpg

1 minute ago, XTankSlayerX said:

Best way to check would be using SpaceSniffer

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/download.html

Yep. WinDirStat is another good one, but I've heard the download for that is infected with a virus that wipes your MBR right now, so go with SpaceSniffer.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Right click on the drive in your explorer and run Disk Cleanup.  After it scans your drive, select the files that you want it to clean/remove.  While you're in there, note which files seem to be taking up space.

Untitled.jpg

sadly i can only get 37mb from that

6 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Yep. WinDirStat is another good one, but I've heard the download for that is infected with a virus that wipes your MBR right now, so go with SpaceSniffer.

What in the world are these two http://prntscr.com/c26vyy

1 minute ago, HazeTheBeater said:

What in the world are these two http://prntscr.com/c26vyy

I want to say those are part of Windows, they help with something i can't really remember. 

Apparently you can disable it:  With 12GB of memory you may not need a page file at all. Run task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and select the "Performance" tab. Watch the Memory graph while you run the biggest load you ever have on your system - all the programs you ever run simultaneously with all the documents and web pages you ever work on at the same time. If the memory graph shows, say, 8GB or less, then a pagefile is probably a complete waste.

I have 12GB on my Windows 7 system and I've always had the pagefile disabled.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/15101-63-pagefile-hiberfil-gigantic-filling

Not sure what the requirements would be to make that a good idea though

Also im  scared, how in the world did 10 gb got taken so fast? Someone tell me

15 minutes ago, XTankSlayerX said:

I want to say those are part of Windows, they help with something i can't really remember. 

Apparently you can disable it:  With 12GB of memory you may not need a page file at all. Run task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and select the "Performance" tab. Watch the Memory graph while you run the biggest load you ever have on your system - all the programs you ever run simultaneously with all the documents and web pages you ever work on at the same time. If the memory graph shows, say, 8GB or less, then a pagefile is probably a complete waste.

I have 12GB on my Windows 7 system and I've always had the pagefile disabled.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/15101-63-pagefile-hiberfil-gigantic-filling

Not sure what the requirements would be to make that a good idea though

What program could be used to make my pc go through 100% load?

Just now, HazeTheBeater said:

What program could be used to make my pc go through 100% load?

Prime95.  :D

On 2016-08-05 at 9:09 PM, HazeTheBeater said:

Also im  scared, how in the world did 10 gb got taken so fast? Someone tell me

Okay so there is a bit of misunderstanding with these files.

First off: Pagefile.sys is your Virtual Memory Pool, or your Page File. This is basically overfill for when your computer needs to store some stuff, but doesn't need it in main memory. Your computer needs some Page File, (Unless you have a ton of RAM), but it doesn't necessarily need to be 12GB.

Hiberfil.sys is the Hibernation File. This is basically a whole memory dump onto file. When your computer enters Hibernation, it saves everything in memory to disk, and shuts off.

You can disable Hiberfil.sys:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/920730

To make hibernation unavailable, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
  3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
  4. At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press Enter.
  5. Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

Step 4 is the important step. After you run these commands, Hiberfil.sys should disappear.

For Pagefile.sys, follow these directions to make it smaller:

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/Make-Windows-10-performance-sing-by-tweaking-RAM-service-settings

1. Open System Properties. (Right-click the Start menu, select System and then click Change Settings, or use the Control Panel.)

2. In the System Properties dialog box, on the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Performance section.

3. In the Performance Options dialog box, on the Advanced tab, click the Change button in the Virtual Memory section.

4. In the Virtual Memory dialog box, jot down the minimum allowed, recommended and currently allocated paging file sizes in the last section. Then, uncheck the box that says "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives." If more than one drive appears in the available drives list, click your system drive (the one on which Windows is installed, which is usually C:).

5. Click Custom Size, and then type values into the Initial Size (MB) and Maximum Size (MB) boxes, making the maximum size 1 GB (1,000 MB) or up to 4 GB (4,000 MB), depending on the amount of installed RAM.

6. Click Set, then OK.

The actual amount of memory you give to Pagefile.sys will depend on how much RAM you've got. I would probably keep the 4GB max, I wouldn't go any lower then that, unless you've got 32GB or more of RAM.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, HazeTheBeater said:

Uhmm i ahve 16gb of ram

Then setting 4GB for your PageFile should be totally fine. See above for links and detailed instructions. Let us know how it goes.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)