Help with a GTX 580 please

Hi all, 

For the last 2 years or so ive been having issues with my GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 graphics card. the screen freezes then comes back and I get a message saying that drivers/kernels have failed and recovered. i cant remember the exact message and im in work at the moment. it has escilated now to locking up and crashing the entire system ( not often but it happens) and the crash/recovery is frequent. sometimes i will get nothing for days and days then it will happen constantly for about 10 minutes straight. 

i have cleaned it many times and reinstalled it and its drivers in the system to no avail. would the issue be hardware or software related do you think? would it be possible to fix it without rebuilding the card? or is it better to replace it? 

any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Tydfil ~ 

Sounds like the card might be dying. Do you have another card you can try or borrow for a few days to test?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Sounds like the card might be dying. Do you have another card you can try or borrow for a few days to test?

unfortunately not at the moment. i've suspected that for a while but hoped it wasn't the case. A mate of mine is out of the country at the moment so when he returns I will try and sweet talk him ( Bribe with beer) into letting me try his Titan in my rig see if the issue persists... good idea?

i know this might sound odd but if you have another pci slot move it to that one, if the card sags enough it can loose connection, and cause that issue. if anything try to reseat the card and see if that helps.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

Just now, EvilLemur said:

i know this might sound odd but if you have another pci slot move it to that one, if the card sags enough it can loose connection, and cause that issue. if anything try to reseat the card and see if that helps.

That didn't even cross my mind, I will try it when i get home. Thanks for that