Why is the gtx 1060 "more powerful" than the RX 480?

XplosiveNoctua99

RX 480 has more teraflops

more stream processors too

the memory is the same speed

less vram...

and

the only difference i can see is the clock speed :o

is that why?

Just a general question :P

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Have you heard about PhysX? Yeah because of that

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :RYZEN 5 2600/ GPU :MSI Ventus OC GTX 1660 Ti/ RAM :Team Elite 2x8/ PSU :Corsair CX650M/ HDD :Toshiba 2TB/ SSD :Adata XPG M.2 SATA 265GB/ COOLER :Be Quite 2x140mm / MOBO :Asus TUF B450 Gaming

LAPTOP :

CPU :i7-4710HQ/ GPU :GTX 860M/ RAM :8GB OEM/ HDD :1 TB 

PERIPHERALS :

MOUSE :LOGITECH G502/ HEADSET :HyperX Cloud Alpha/ KEYBOARD :Logitech G Pro 

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

1 minute ago, Annoyingnerds said:

Have you heard about PhysX? Yeah because of that

Nope, and nope.

PhysX runs like shit on everything, like most of nvidia's proprietary software. *cough* hbao+ *cough*

@XplosiveNoctua99 Differing core architectures and software implementations for compression and resource management. The 1060 works more efficiently with what it has than the 480.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

You cannot compare two different architectures so that's one reason. NVIDIA is alot more advanced in the software side of things which is why they tend to be the top dogs in DX11. Also the reason why AMD receives more sizeable gains than NVIDIA in DX12 and Vulkan.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

You cannot compare two different architectures so that's one reason. NVIDIA is alot more advanced in the software side of things which is why they tend to be the top dogs in DX11. Also the reason why AMD receives sizeable gains in DX12 and Vulkan.

I'm with you

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :RYZEN 5 2600/ GPU :MSI Ventus OC GTX 1660 Ti/ RAM :Team Elite 2x8/ PSU :Corsair CX650M/ HDD :Toshiba 2TB/ SSD :Adata XPG M.2 SATA 265GB/ COOLER :Be Quite 2x140mm / MOBO :Asus TUF B450 Gaming

LAPTOP :

CPU :i7-4710HQ/ GPU :GTX 860M/ RAM :8GB OEM/ HDD :1 TB 

PERIPHERALS :

MOUSE :LOGITECH G502/ HEADSET :HyperX Cloud Alpha/ KEYBOARD :Logitech G Pro 

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

8 minutes ago, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

RX 480 has more teraflops

more stream processors too

the memory is the same speed

less vram...

and

the only difference i can see is the clock speed :o

is that why?

Just a general question :P

Well there are many more differences between them, in fact when you look at the specs across different manufacturers, in this case AMD and Nvidia, you can't really compare them, and you can't really assume how a graphics card is going to perform based on any statistics really. What matters is benchmarks and reviews, and that is it.

Furthermore, as someone else pointed out, Physx and all of Gameworks have to blame on why the 1060 performs slightly better than the 480. Even further though, there is the hardware side to something and the software side to it, if most games favored AMD perfectly than AMD cards would perform monstrously better than Nvidia, if most games favored NVidia perfectly than NVidia cards would perform monstrously better than AMD's cards. Its all about software and hardware. 

http://www.realworldtech.com/tile-based-rasterization-nvidia-gpus/

Instead of trying to brute force everything like AMD, nvidia works on trying to optimize and get things more efficient.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Besides the 1060 being on a larger process (16nm FinFet) it also has a slightly bigger die means it has more transistors than the 480.

Also as others said architectural differences. I'm planning on building with an RX 480 because the Nitro+ looks so much better and is a bit more premium than the coolers on the 1060. The Nitro+ seems to also offer up a nice boost over the performance of the reference card so that puts it closer to a 1060.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

The 1060 is more efficient - But

The 480 should be better in the long run with asynchronous compute stuff coming  soon

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400