PSU Cables vs PSU Extensions

hi guys, i was just searching for custom psu cables the other day and i found out about psu extensions. my question is, what exactly is a psu extension? and what is better, psu cables or psu extensions? your answers are greatly appreciated :) 

Its not a matter of which is better, but rather, which you actually need for your particular situation.

I personally find most PSU's to have cables, particularly the motherboard power cables, to be *grossly* and excessively lengthy. 

PSU extensions as the name suggest are extentions that you plug the power supply cable in them so that it looks nicer in your system...

custom cables are for modular powersupply they replace the original cabling that came with the PSU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

PSU extensions as the name suggest are extentions that you plug the power supply cable in them so that it looks nicer in your system...

custom cables are for modular powersupply they replace the original cabling that came with the PSU.

so extensions are smaller than cables?

The extensions are really just to have the pretty ends without going full custom sleeved.

Personally, I just have extensions. With my side panel on, no one sees the cable mess in the bottom. So I went with extensions. I've got full sleeved cables, albeit in a different color than my current build.

The extensions gives you longer cables to manage, but if you can deal with it, just do them, if you just want custom length cables and them to be pretty get the full cables. The perk to the full cables is, if you know that you only need FOR EXAMPLE 12 inches from PSU to 24 pin, you can get that. If you know how long your cables need to be for it to work perfectly, they'll allow you to do that. I may end up measuring the exact lengths I need with string and order full cables.

3 minutes ago, IITomasII said:

no, they just look nicer because they are braided and colorful you can pick the color you want and have nice looking cabling for your GPU and motherboard power cables...original cables that came with PSU are often ugly looking...or just plain black and boring...i'll find you some example in a minute.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, IITomasII said:

No they add length to your cables.  Like an extension cord.

Here is what a nice looking 24 pin motherboard extension cable might look like for example:

dsc01245-875.jpg?t=1461543461

And here is what it can look like on original PSU cable:

connectors_1_1_2.png

2 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

No they add length to your cables.  Like an extension cord.

that's not the purpose though...standard PSU cables are ALWAYS long enough...the purpose of cable extention is to LOOK NICE.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Here is what a nice looking 24 pin motherboard extension cable might look like for example:

dsc01245-875.jpg?t=1461543461

And here is what it can look like on original PSU cable:

connectors_1_1_2.png

oh, so basically extensions are there for the side panel with glass so you can look at better looking cables?

Just now, IITomasII said:

oh, so basically extensions are there for the side panel with glass so you can look at better looking cables?

exactly...you got it ;)

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

exactly...you got it ;)

oh, alright :) so i'm getting a pc with an h440 case, what would be better for that size? extensions or full length cables?

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

that's not the purpose though...standard PSU cables are ALWAYS long enough...the purpose of cable extention is to LOOK NICE.

Yea I covered that in my first post.

They do look nice but they add additional length, that in a smaller case may make it harder. 

oh, alright :) so i'm getting a pc with an h440 case, what would be better for that size? extensions or full length cables?

depend on the PSU you get and pricing...if you get a non-modular PSU the cables can't be replaced so if you want to make it look nice you would have to buy extensions.

If you buy a fully modular one you can MAYBE change the cabling if it's a popular model that has got custom cabling made for it...but it's usually more expensive...extensions is usually the cheaper and easier way to go about it.

depend on the PSU you get and pricing...if you get a non-modular PSU the cables can't be replaced so if you want to make it look nice you would have to buy extensions.

If you buy a fully modular one you can MAYBE change the cabling if it's a popular model that has got custom cabling made for it...but it's usually more expensive...extensions is usually the cheaper and easier way to go about it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mikeyruc123/saved/LfTbt6 the psu i'm going to buy is in this pc part picker page

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mikeyruc123/saved/LfTbt6 the psu i'm going to buy is in this pc part picker page

i think you can have a custom kit for this unit...you would have to shop for it...cable mods is a good place to start...

for extensions, bitfenix or silversone if you want red and black or just red, or white...if you want special colors like pink, purple etc...again cable mods.

i think you can have a custom kit for this unit...you would have to shop for it...cable mods is a good place to start...

for extensions, bitfenix or silversone if you want red and black or just red, or white...if you want special colors like pink, purple etc...again cable mods.

i'd go for black and white cables, and yes i checked on cablemod. there is a model for that psu. thanks again for your help =)