Cooler for 6700k

Just got a 6700k and a Cooler Master Hyper 103 with it. So my question is If I dont overclock my cpu, Is that going to be enough for it?

I have a 540 air case.

If you don't overclock it, the stock cooler is going to be enough for it. So will be any aftermarket cooler you can fit to it. It's mostly just a matter of noise.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

If you don't overclock it, the stock cooler is going to be enough for it. So will be any aftermarket cooler you can fit to it. It's mostly just a matter of noise.

The i7 6700k does not come with a stock cooler

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

I've just googled a couple things and these are the results:

- The cooler you have seems to handle processors with ~125W TDP quite well

- The 6700k has got a TDP of 91W

Which means, that the cooler you have should be good enough :)

Yup, it's fine but with that heat sink you can probably get a small overclock on to it. You might as well since you got a K SKU cpu.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

5 minutes ago, YubinTheBunny said:

Yup, it's fine but with that heat sink you can probably get a small overclock on to it. You might as well since you got a K SKU cpu.

Maybe he does not have a z170 board?

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

9 minutes ago, Dresta said:

The i7 6700k does not come with a stock cooler

You're right. Although without OCing, it would probably be fine even with the non-K cooler

1 hour ago, YubinTheBunny said:

Yeah I have a Z170 but I'll OC it only after a couple of months.

Thanks for the replies.

Also, what fan wud people recommend for the air 540, I was looking at Corsair AF120/140?

13 minutes ago, sahxtan said:

Yeah I have a Z170 but I'll OC it only after a couple of months.

Thanks for the replies.

Also, what fan wud people recommend for the air 540, I was looking at Corsair AF120/140?

I would recommend Noctua, be quiet! or NB eloop fans if they are in your budget, and you don't care too much about colour scheming, but the Corsair fans aren't too bad. I would go with dual 140mm front and top because they would provide a better noise to airflow ratio. Front as intakes and top as exhaust and then run the Exhaust fans at a slower Rpm to make a slightly more positive air pressure.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

23 minutes ago, YubinTheBunny said:

I would recommend Noctua, be quiet! or NB eloop fans if they are in your budget, and you don't care too much about colour scheming, but the Corsair fans aren't too bad. I would go with dual 140mm front and top because they would provide a better noise to airflow ratio. Front as intakes and top as exhaust and then run the Exhaust fans at a slower Rpm to make a slightly more positive air pressure.

I just got my stuff yest and they dint have the AF fans, So I ordered them online and they'll be here in 3 days. I only have a rear and two stock front fans rt now, will it be a problem If I run the system without top fans for 3 days?

2 minutes ago, sahxtan said:

I just got my stuff yest and they dint have the AF fans, So I ordered them online and they'll be here in 3 days. I only have a rear and two stock front fans rt now, will it be a problem If I run the system without top fans for 3 days?

It's fine if you don't have the top fans, they just help dissipate the system heat and it won't effect cooling performance too much. (and I just enjoy filling up all the fan spots)

Build

34 minutes ago, YubinTheBunny said:

It's fine if you don't have the top fans, they just help dissipate the system heat and it won't effect cooling performance too much. (and I just enjoy filling up all the fan spots)

Thank you so much mate, you've been of great help :)

I've got to say I'd definitely go with a Noctua cooler if you want to stick to air cooling instead of water cooling. The NH-d14 and 15 are extremely quiet under load and keep temps nice and chilly under medium use. However, I OC'd my 6700k to 4.7 and under prime95 tests the cores were definitely at the heat limit. So a more generous OC like 4.5-4.6 has been working great for me.

Just like you, it took me a few months to try OC'ing since it was my first system build but the NH-d14 has done me well so far.

14 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I've got to say I'd definitely go with a Noctua cooler if you want to stick to air cooling instead of water cooling. The NH-d14 and 15 are extremely quiet under load and keep temps nice and chilly under medium use. However, I OC'd my 6700k to 4.7 and under prime95 tests the cores were definitely at the heat limit. So a more generous OC like 4.5-4.6 has been working great for me.

Just like you, it took me a few months to try OC'ing since it was my first system build but the NH-d14 has done me well so far.

Yeah, that's where I'm at, just entered the PC build scene, so I was looking for something decent, which does the job. After a couple of months, I'm going to start playing around with the rig, OCing, better GPU, extra fans and may get a premium cooler(Noctua is really expensive where I live) then. Good to know you've had a good exp with the NH-D14, it's defo on my list.

27 minutes ago, sahxtan said:

Yeah, that's where I'm at, just entered the PC build scene, so I was looking for something decent, which does the job. After a couple of months, I'm going to start playing around with the rig, OCing, better GPU, extra fans and may get a premium cooler(Noctua is really expensive where I live) then. Good to know you've had a good exp with the NH-D14, it's defo on my list.

Yes! From what I understand, the Noctua coolers can perform almost if not better than some liquid coolers, as well as much less noise due to no pump. This also prevents you from having to get a radiator however liquid cooling does look nicer if you have a window on your tower.