X58 System: P6X58D-E vs Rampage II Extreme?

hello, how are you?

I need to know about this.

A friend had his x58 board die and his looking for a replacement.

I can get one of these two.

P6X58D-E

26162758777l.png

Rampage ii Extreme

asus_rampage_ii_extreme_01.jpg

The P6X58D-E is newer, has USB3 and Sata6.

It has 16 power phases but has a weaker cooling solution for both the VRM and Chipset.

The ROG is supposed to have better components and better cooling.

The CPU is a 920 D0, but with the new board we are thinking about a 6 core xeon as an upgrade.

Which board is best for Overclock and stability?

Thank you.

Cheers!

Hello, well you can't really overclock a xeon. The rog board will give a tiny bit more stability but not sure if that will matter unless you're going for a really high overclock. Get the newer board if you want usb3.

You can rule out the 6Gb on the P6X58D-E as the Marvell PCIe 9128 controller is slower than the Intel ICH10R 3Gb ports. I had a Rampage III Formula which had the same Marvell controller and it was useless, never used the 2 6Gb ports after testing them.

Other than that I don't know which I would pick, newer is better but then you could also look at the Rampage III? Since that is also X58.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You can rule out the 6Gb on the P6X58D-E as the Marvell PCIe 9128 controller is slower than the Intel ICH10R 3Gb ports. I had a Rampage III Formula which had the same Marvell controller and it was useless, never used the 2 6Gb ports after testing them.

Other than that I don't know which I would pick, newer is better but then you could also look at the Rampage III? Since that is also X58.

Thank you for the heads up.

I was actually considering the P6 because of Sata3, has my friend has a Samsung 840 evo.

But I'll look this issue up.

Cheers!

7 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

Thank you for the heads up.

I was actually considering the P6 because of Sata3, has my friend has a Samsung 840 evo.

But I'll look this issue up.

Cheers!

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=413&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=3

http://www.overclock.net/t/1284942/intel-ich10-vs-marvell-9128

Just a couple of decent performance examples, the main issue is with the more real world workload which is random and not highly sequential. If your transferring larges files off an SSD the 6Gb 9128 ports give a slight speed boost but in all other areas it's actually slower. 

Heard good things of the Rampage III, I dunno about Rampage II but either one I think should be fine. Should be able to pull a 4.3 OC on most all those Xeons. 4.5 if you are lucky. I'd let price be one of the deciding factors. Don't rule out Gigabyte either if you see one.

1 hour ago, Kazetana said:

Hello, well you can't really overclock a xeon. The rog board will give a tiny bit more stability but not sure if that will matter unless you're going for a really high overclock. Get the newer board if you want usb3.

This is X58, so the bit about not overclocking is false. Not sure about the stability claim either to be honest. Unless user plans to run sub-zero or high frequency memory.

But the bit about the I/O is true.

14 minutes ago, harrynowl said:

This is X58, so the bit about not overclocking is false. Not sure about the stability claim either to be honest. Unless user plans to run sub-zero or high frequency memory.

But the bit about the I/O is true.

My bad, wasn't aware that overclocking xeons was possible on X58.

16 minutes ago, Kazetana said:

My bad, wasn't aware that overclocking xeons was possible on X58.

All 1366 on X58 boards and a handful of 1600 series on X79, other than that on everything else you are limited to only increasing bus speed to 103-105.

Yes.

Going to be upgrading to X5660 and try to go for 4.3 or 4.4.

these two can be had here on the second hand market.

Price is the same.

With the IO issue, thinking more about the Rampage.

Cheers!

8 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

Yes.

Going to be upgrading to X5660 and try to go for 4.3 or 4.4.

these two can be had here on the second hand market.

Price is the same.

With the IO issue, thinking more about the Rampage.

Cheers!

out of interest how much is the rampage?

I think if the newer board has x58a chipset that will be better. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

As far as the VRM of those 2 boards goes.

Both boards have 16 pwm (virtual) phases.

I assume that both boards most likely feuture a similar 8 true phase fully digital VRM design from ChiLL.

Most likely the CHL8318 pwm (or similar) which is a 7+1 true phase flex mode pwm, which can combine the outputs to run in 8+0 phase mode.

And used some phase doublers to double the phase count to 16 pwm phases.

Most of the time the Rampage boards have higher quality and higher rated powerstages / mosfets and inductors on them.

But i dont think that it would matter a whole lot for the average user.

But you could overclock some of the X58 Xeon´s realy well if you have a decent motherboard.

I could dig up the exact VRM specs on both boards, but that might take a while.

And i´m not realy sure if all that info would be realy relevant.

Hi, thank you for your replies.

I have been browsing the local classifieds.

Something like Craigslist you have there. :)

I am seeing another option.

For the price of a new X58 board and then a Xeon X5660, I can get him a Z68 Board with an i5 2500k.

He uses the computer for gaming mostly.

His GPU is a 280X.

What would give him better gaming experience?

His 920 D0, a X5660 or a 2500k?

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

Hi, thank you for your replies.

I have been browsing the local classifieds.

Something like Craigslist you have there. :)

I am seeing another option.

For the price of a new X58 board and then a Xeon X5660, I can get him a Z68 Board with an i5 2500k.

He uses the computer for gaming mostly.

His GPU is a 280X.

What would give him better gaming experience?

His 920 D0, a X5660 or a 2500k?

Cheers!

For mainly gaming i would say the 2500K is more then fine.

Even for todays games, and it will consume way less power aswell.

If you maybe could find something like a 3570K and Z77 board would be even more nice.

But a 2500K with either a Z68 or Z77 board will be more then fine.

An overclocked 2500K is also more then capable to feed todays gpu´s like a GTX1060, RX480 etc.

8 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

For mainly gaming i would say the 2500K is more then fine.

Even for todays games, and it will consume way less power aswell.

If you maybe could find something like a 3570K and Z77 board would be even more nice.

But a 2500K with either a Z68 or Z77 board will be more then fine.

An overclocked 2500K is also more then capable to feed todays gpu´s like a GTX1060, RX480 etc.

When you say the 2500k is fine do you mean that it is better than the 920?

Does the 2500k offer a big single core and ipc improvement over nehalem?

How about the lack of hyper-threading? Is it noticiable in games?

Cheers!

55 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

As far as the VRM of those 2 boards goes.

Both boards have 16 pwm (virtual) phases.

I assume that both boards most likely feuture a similar 8 true phase fully digital VRM design from ChiLL.

Most likely the CHL8328 pwm (or similar) which is a 7+1 true phase flex mode pwm, which can combine the outputs to run in 8+0 phase mode.

And used some phase doublers to double the phase count to 16 pwm phases.

Most of the time the Rampage boards have higher quality and higher rated powerstages / mosfets and inductors on them.

But i dont think that it would matter a whole lot for the average user.

But you could overclock some of the X58 Xeon´s realy well if you have a decent motherboard.

I could dig up the exact VRM specs on both boards, but that might take a while.

And i´m not realy sure if all that info would be realy relevant.

My Rampage 3 Extreme was based on the 8318, I suspect its likely the same for the others :) 

20 minutes ago, harrynowl said:

My Rampage 3 Extreme was based on the 8318, I suspect its likely the same for the others :) 

Yes thats correct, i made a typo there.

The Rampage 3 indeed features the CHL8318 which is a 7+1 flex mode pwm, that can combine the phases count to 8 true phases.

But its basicly a similar pwm to the CHL3828.

The CHL3828 is used on the Rampage 4 series btw.

Just a newer version of the pwm.

15 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Yes thats correct, i made a typo there.

The Rampage 3 indeed features the CHL8318 which is a 7+1 flex mode pwm, that can combine the phases count to 8 true phases.

But its basicly a similar pwm to the CHL3828.

The CHL3828 is used on the Rampage 4 series btw.

correct, although I believe they re-labeled it on that series to "Digi+" with no telltale markings, but they often label these controllers as the "digi + ASP1212" on their VGAs  also

1 minute ago, harrynowl said:

correct, although I believe they re-labeled it on that series to "Digi+" with no telltale markings, but they often label these controllers as the "digi + ASP1212" on their VGAs  also

Yes Asus is re-branding the pwm controllers they use as ASPxxxx for a couple of years allready indeed, for whatever reason.

And ChiLL is owned by IR.

38 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

When you say the 2500k is fine do you mean that it is better than the 920?

Does the 2500k offer a big single core and ipc improvement over nehalem?

How about the lack of hyper-threading? Is it noticiable in games?

Cheers!

Well you could look up some benchmarks between an i7-920 and a 2500K, and compair them.

As far as the benefit of HT is concerned, that highly depends from game to game.

We slowly do start to see some newer AAA games starting to benefit of having more threads availeble.

But it will also depend on the GPU allot.

With anything midrange like a GTX1060 or RX480, i dont think that you will realy benefit that much from HT as far as gaming today is concerned.

1 hour ago, Sintezza said:

Well you could look up some benchmarks between an i7-920 and a 2500K, and compair them.

As far as the benefit of HT is concerned, that highly depends from game to game.

We slowly do start to see some newer AAA games starting to benefit of having more threads availeble.

But it will also depend on the GPU allot.

With anything midrange like a GTX1060 or RX480, i dont think that you will realy benefit that much from HT as far as gaming today is concerned.

He already has a GPU. A 280X and is not planning on upgrading yet.

So the 280X will be either on the nehalem system or the sandy bridge one.

Cheers!

A 1366 overclocked to 4.3GHz is about like a 5820k at stock settings with Cinebench scores similar to a 4790k OC'd to 4.5GHz (scores in the mid 900s). The xeon is way ahead of the 920... or even a 960 for that matter. But still a 2500k isn't bad.... if the prices are similar I think the X58 might be the way to go. With a cheap Xeon they just offer so much bang for the buck that it's incredible and you can pair them with modern tier 1 GPUs and have a great gaming experience. Now eventually you will want to upgrade and I wouldn't recommend SLI but you can definitely run with a single 1080 or 980Ti or Titan X and be just fine.