Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where is the best place to start coding?

Well recently i really wanted to try coding and i was wondering wheres the best place to start. And is there is guides or tips on how to get started or get used to it?

I'm really not sure where to start, If you need to know anything more just say it.

Thanks and sorry if there is already a thread on this.

Java or C# are good places to start.  You can build applications for Windows and Android using those languages and they have many other practical uses.

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

If you start with C# for Windows, Microsoft has a huge support and educational system in place for developers.  It's easy to find guides that show how to build your first Windows app.

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

I started on Java. It's quite easy to pick up at the start for basic applications and such, and offers a diverse skillset for more complex projects. Also has a large community regarding support and tutorials.

Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X+ Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

I would suggest you to watch a few tutorials on youtube or such. You can go on http://thenewboston.org/ , they offer a LOT of video tutorials and cover a wide range of subjects. 
When there's something you don't understand or it isn't explained and such, go google it and dig around, curiosity is always good
Also you've got to play around each and every concepts you learn and try whatever comes to your mind

I personally started with Java since that's what my program focused on. It's fairly easy to pick up and get going although it can be quite frustrating at first. Since it's widely used, there are a lot of tutorials and help available and very accessible.

One other thing, while i've never extensively used it, some start by using Scratch. It's basically a kid's version of programming where you drag and drop "code" and put them together. As far as I know, it's quite effective in understanding the basic concept of logic within programming and how different elements interact with each other. It might be fun since its extremely easy to pick up and you can get results instantly while with traditional programming you would have to start with the classic ''Hello World'' and work on cmd prompt which is necessary but pretty boring

Anyways, programming is fun and the community is awesome! Don't be afraid to ask questions about anything

CPU: Intel i7-4770k MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Formula RAM: G.Skill RipJawsX 2x8GB 1600Mhz GPU: Asus GTX 780 DCuII CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo STORAGE: ADATA SX900 256GB / WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair AX760 760W MONITOR: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM KEYBOARD: Ducky Shine 3 MOUSE: Logitech G602 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106614-project-insert-name-enthoo-primo-rigid-acrylic-red/

Get Linux on your computer because it's open sourced unlike windows and Mac Or. You have much more flexibility. Then install qbasic 64 and watch some tutorials. You'll get familiar with conditional statements that will you around in every language you code in. Once you get the hang of Basic them move to Python. Many people use Python so help will be easy to find.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Python is really easy to write programs for, but doesn't have the nice syntax checks and type checking of C or Java that prevent you from doing weird things.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

A computer! No but really.... Python is really nice, I tried to learn java and could not do it, however I have been learning python and having a great time, in my opinion python is a much better starter language, especially since it requires thing that programers have to learn (or at least should), like indenting correctly, knowing the difference between "Test" and "test". Plus it allows a really nice insight into how things work in languages, for example it has the id() and the type() functions which allow you to see what the computer sees.

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

Java is a horrible language, I recommend C++, it is considered harder but it teachers you a lot of concepts as you have to manually do things that most otehr languages automate. It is also the 'go-to' language for game programming if that is what you wanted to get into.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

Well recently i really wanted to try coding and i was wondering wheres the best place to start. And is there is guides or tips on how to get started or get used to it?

I'm really not sure where to start, If you need to know anything more just say it.

Thanks and sorry if there is already a thread on this.

If you want to get in to programing go to http://www.codecademy.com and do some of the Python lessons.. once you feel confident with the basics of programming and the logic behind it move to a language like C++ or JAVA.

You will need to relearn the syntax for the next language you pick but it won't take you long to get used to it.

Java is a horrible language, I recommend C++, it is considered harder but it teaches you a lot of concepts as you have to manually do things that most other languages automate. It is also the 'go-to' language for game programming if that is what you wanted to get into.

I don't really get why it is considered harder.. If anyone knows please enlighten me..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

I'm being taught Python in college right now to understand the basics of Python. Then from there we will be moving to Java and C to see the differences between them.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

If you want to get in to programing go to http://www.codecademy.com and do some of the Python lessons.. once you feel confident with the basics of programming and the logic behind it move to a language like C++ or JAVA.

You will need to relearn the syntax for the next language you pick but it won't take you long to get used to it.

I don't really get why it is considered harder.. If anyone knows please enlighten me..

I think because the syntax is 'less English' than most languages

consider

cout << "Hello,World" << endl;

vs

print "Hello, World"

And there is memory management in C++ as well as pointers, where in a lot of popular languages, there is not. Just from a readability standpoint, C++ looks more 'complicated' compared to say, Python or Java. So for a new programmer it can be quite daunting. 

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

My University makes us learn Java first. Can be a bitch at times but it's quite easy to make sense of.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Harvard university offers a free online course entitled 'CS50' that is an awesome teaching system for learning basic programming. The course concentrates on the C programming language for instruction for the most part, however, I believe there is some Java and PHP toward the end. I didn't care about those parts so I didn't bother watching.

There is no registration required for the course, nor, is any interaction involved. The course can be found at: http://www.cs50.net/

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

Thanks for the site dude. I'm finally catching onto java! I love you (all homo, jk jk.)

Noobie programer. :)

http://www.codecademy.com   if no one has recommended it yet

sorry bet you to it

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/63641-where-is-the-best-place-to-start-coding/#entry898712

Thanks for the site dude. I'm finally catching onto java! I love you (all homo, jk jk.)

That site has Javascript not Java.. They are very different languages..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

• 2 weeks later...

I personally started with Java then C#.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Here are some good links:

For Java - http://chortle.ccsu.edu/CS151/cs151java.html

For web - www.codeacademy.com

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I think because the syntax is 'less English' than most languages

consider

cout << "Hello,World" << endl;

vs

print "Hello, World"

And there is memory management in C++ as well as pointers, where in a lot of popular languages, there is not. Just from a readability standpoint, C++ looks more 'complicated' compared to say, Python or Java. So for a new programmer it can be quite daunting. 

Things are advancing in python 3 though, as

print('Hello, World')

But I would agree entirely that Java is getting dislodged. It was the first of its type, but it needs serious work to overhaul the problematic JVM. Python is the best place to start and C/C++ will be important no matter what you do.

I would add another suggestion, which would be to keep a less standard language in your programming vocabulary, be it Prolog or Lisp/Clojure perhaps. These will teach you things about programming that are hard to come by in more typical C-type languages.

I would say Java would be the place to start. Download Eclipse, find some tutorials, articles and videos on the internet and go to town. Practice, practice, practice! If you feel like you aren't making progress, don't be put down. It might take a while but you'll start to pick up on ideas and concepts easier and you will definitely start enjoying it... Its literally like learning a new "language". Practice makes perfect.

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB