PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

32 minutes ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

My local store doesn't have a lot of options to be honest.. ( Im living in Malaysia ) 

EVGA, Silverstone, Cooler Master, Superflower, Thermaltake and Corsair. Thats what they have. 

Superflower left with 650w Leadex ( not sure 1 or 2 ), Corsair left with rm750i, hx1200 and cx850m, Cooler Master I didn't ask yet, Silverstone they offered me the 650w Plat but not sure if they have other options or not, Thermaltake I didn't ask as well. 

Superflower's the OEM for a lot of PSU brands, and they're one of the better manufacturers out there.  I have a Xion 630W back home made by Superflower, and aside from having to replace a cheap fan, it's still running like new 10 years later!  And that's after doing all sorts of experiments that caused accidental shorts and would've blown out a really cheap PSU right away.

48 minutes ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

EVGA, Silverstone, Cooler Master, Superflower, Thermaltake and Corsair. Thats what they have. 

That doesn't look too shabby.

What Silverstone Strider are available?
Cooler master V-Series??

In general: ask for Gold or Platinum, everything Bronze-Silver is not of interest (because there are only 2-3 good Bronze units)

48 minutes ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

Superflower left with 650w Leadex ( not sure 1 or 2 ), Corsair left with rm750i, hx1200 and cx850m, Cooler Master I didn't ask yet, Silverstone they offered me the 650w Plat but not sure if they have other options or not, Thermaltake I didn't ask as well. 

This one isn't too bad either -> https://geizhals.de/silverstone-strider-platinum-series-650w-atx-2-4-sst-st65f-pt-a1336753.html

650W Leadex is somewhat OKish, not great but you can live with.

Thermaltake most are crap BUT: this one is pretty OK too: https://geizhals.de/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-gold-650w-atx-2-4-ps-tpg-0650fpcgeu-r-a1561317.html?hloc=de

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

That doesn't look too shabby.

What Silverstone Strider are available?
Cooler master V-Series??

In general: ask for Gold or Platinum, everything Bronze-Silver is not of interest (because there are only 2-3 good Bronze units)

This one isn't too bad either -> https://geizhals.de/silverstone-strider-platinum-series-650w-atx-2-4-sst-st65f-pt-a1336753.html

650W Leadex is somewhat OKish, not great but you can live with.

Thermaltake most are crap BUT: this one is pretty OK too: https://geizhals.de/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-gold-650w-atx-2-4-ps-tpg-0650fpcgeu-r-a1561317.html?hloc=de

Yea if Im not wrong.. its Silverstone Strider Platinum 650w 

Not sure about CM V series.. will need to ask for that.. 

Aint EVGA G+ good? o.O I thought its quite decent ? 

Im currently using a Xeon E3 1231 v3 with 980Ti

planning to upgrade to 9700K and 2080Ti next year.. but wanna upgrade to a better psu first cuz my current psu ( B700 v2 ) is shit hahahaa 

Will be doing OC as well in the future

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

Yea if Im not wrong.. its Silverstone Strider Platinum 650w 

Not sure about CM V series.. will need to ask for that.. 

Aint EVGA G+ good? o.O I thought its quite decent ? 

Im currently using a Xeon E3 1231 v3 with 980Ti

planning to upgrade to 9700K and 2080Ti next year.. but wanna upgrade to a better psu first cuz my current psu ( B700 v2 ) is shit hahahaa 

Will be doing OC as well in the future

Thanks!

G1+ has issues with transient loads due to it's Active Clamp based topology -> it's not a great design, all the others mentioned use a superior LLC topology.

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

6 minutes ago, awesomegamer919 said:

G1+ has issues with transient loads due to it's Active Clamp based topology -> it's not a great design, all the others mentioned use a superior LLC topology.

Among the brands I listed, are there any brands' specific one that I should  try to get? Would the CM V750 be better than RM750i? 

Im not sure which to get tbh

Just now, Tamago_Sushi said:

Among the brands I listed, are there any brands' specific one that I should  try to get? Would the CM V750 be better than RM750i? 

Im not sure which to get tbh

Strider Platinum/RMx/i would be your best bet. 

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

1 hour ago, awesomegamer919 said:

Strider Platinum/RMx/i would be your best bet. 

I thought Strider Platinum is Tier 2.. Wouldn't the Rmi be a better choice than that? Since rmi is tier 1? 

Just curious and are there any other psu I can try asking and potentially get? 

Thanks! 

How much wattage do I need to get tho if Im planning to overclock in the future with 9700k and 2080ti?

8 hours ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

I thought Strider Platinum is Tier 2.. Wouldn't the Rmi be a better choice than that? Since rmi is tier 1? 

Just curious and are there any other psu I can try asking and potentially get? 

Thanks! 

As cool as @STRMfrmXMNis, this list is far from perfect, using arbitrary measurements for "tier" cutoffs and having minimal build quality checks.

8 hours ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

How much wattage do I need to get tho if Im planning to overclock in the future with 9700k and 2080ti?

550w should be fine, 650w is fine if you want "muh headroom" though in reality it's gonna be overkill.

PCs:

1 hour ago, awesomegamer919 said:

As cool as @STRMfrmXMNis, this list is far from perfect, using arbitrary measurements for "tier" cutoffs and having minimal build quality checks.

550w should be fine, 650w is fine if you want "muh headroom" though in reality it's gonna be overkill.

Ahh I see.. cuz I was following kinda closely to that.. 

I actually thought 750w would be better? Cuz my friends are recommending me 750w due to I am planning to oc in the future. 

How about Cooler Master V series tho? 

Hi, im currently using the Seasonic S12II 430w PSU and im thinking upgrading to a RX 570 or RX 580 if is possible and because both card right now the price is quite the close. Is this PSU good enough for these card. My current system:

X3440 OC to 3.0ghz

Asrock H55m-le

8GB 4+4

240gb SSD + 500gb HDD

R9 370x 2gb (it was released only in china but is basically the same as R9 270x)

4 case fan

4 minutes ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

I actually thought 750w would be better? Cuz my friends are recommending me 750w due to I am planning to oc in the future. 

For OC I recommend you get a Powermeter as well, so that you can see the increase in power consumption wiht that.

Its not trivial and today it comes at high cost.

The days, where you increased the Multiplier and increased the clockrate by 50% are gone.

Today you have an increase of like 12,5% for +50% higher power consumption. We are at the upper thermal limits...

4 minutes ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

How about Cooler Master V series tho? 

Its a good unit as well.

Between the three, all are good. The advantage of the Cooler Master is that it doesn't come with the useless to problematic semi-fanless mode...

2 minutes ago, Intekss said:

Hi, im currently using the Seasonic S12II 430w PSU

Condolences.

2 minutes ago, Intekss said:

and im thinking upgrading to a RX 570 or RX 580 if is possible and because both card right now the price is quite the close. Is this PSU good enough for these card.

No, PSU is not good enough.

Depending on wich variant, its ~10 Years old and should not be used with modern components due to the design of that PSU.

What are your options?
How much money do you want to spend?

Personally I'd go a bit better and look for a be quiet Straight Power 11, Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M, Cougar GX-F

450 or 550W Versions.

59 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

For OC I recommend you get a Powermeter as well, so that you can see the increase in power consumption wiht that.

Its not trivial and today it comes at high cost.

The days, where you increased the Multiplier and increased the clockrate by 50% are gone.

Today you have an increase of like 12,5% for +50% higher power consumption. We are at the upper thermal limits...

Its a good unit as well.

Between the three, all are good. The advantage of the Cooler Master is that it doesn't come with the useless to problematic semi-fanless mode...

Hmm.. so among the three units, Strider Platinum is prolly my best choice? 

1 minute ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

Hmm.. so among the three units, Strider Platinum is prolly my best choice? 

Its the highest efficiency of those, thus a bit more expensive.

Except for that, I'd say that there isn't much difference between the units except for Efficiency...

Condolences.

Depending on wich variant, its ~10 Years old and should not be used with modern components due to the design of that PSU.

What are your options?

Personally I'd go a bit better and look for a be quiet Straight Power 11, Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M, Cougar GX-F

450 or 550W Versions.

Thnks for the response.

Well, i bought it back in 2016 and im not sure what variant is but is been fine. I know is a cheap PSU but didn't know is that bad?

In my country hardware are more expensive and very limited brand option so those model you recommended can't find it here. My budget is under 100$. The best model i able to found are these:

Corsair: CX550M/450M/550 (80-100$)

EVGA: GD550W (100$)

Riotoro: ONYX 650W (100$), 500W Builder Edition (70$) (is not on the list so im not sure)

Gigabyte: PB500W (60$), P650B (90$) (all these model are also not on the list)

Seasonic: S12II 520B (80$), M12II 620 EVO (110$)

Thermaltake: SMART SP700 (80$), SMART 700W RGB (110$)

CoolerMaster: MWE and MASTERWATT LITE 500W (~80$)

And found few under 150$ and just want to know are these much better than previous one?

Corsair: RM550(yellow), RM650x, TX550M

EVGA: BQ750W/850W

Gigabyte: G750H 

Thermaltake: TOUGHPOWER 750W RGB, SMART 750/850W

CoolerMaster: V650

Riotoro: Enigma 850W

As you can see the price are all higher and comparing with the list the best one ~500W seems to be the EVGA GD550W. And im not sure but that CoolerMaster V650 is the V series in the tier1 list?

11 minutes ago, Intekss said:

Well, i bought it back in 2016 and im not sure what variant is but is been fine. I know is a cheap PSU but didn't know is that bad?

Yeah, because people believe its a good PSU because its Seasonic. And Seasonic has to be good, so your S12II is good. Even though it fails at protection tests, is really loud at medium loads (my 550W Chieftec SFX PSU Is far quieter) and its totally overpriced...

In my country hardware are more expensive and very limited brand option so those model you recommended can't find it here. My budget is under 100$. The best model i able to found are these:

Corsair: CX550M/450M/550 (80-100$)

EVGA: GD550W (100$)

Riotoro: ONYX 650W (100$), 500W Builder Edition (70$) (is not on the list so im not sure)

Gigabyte: PB500W (60$), P650B (90$), G750H (100$) (all these model are also not on the list)

Seasonic: S12II 520B (80$), M12II 620 EVO (110$)

Thermaltake: SMART SP700 (80$), SMART 700W RGB (110$)

CoolerMaster: MWE and MASTERWATT LITE 500W (~80$)

That sucks. There isn't much choice.

The Seasonics you listed are the same shit you already have, same issues, just higher wattage.

But from the List you posted, the Riotoro Onyx is the best choice by far.

And found few under 150$ and just want to know are these much better than previous one?

Corsair: RM550(yellow), RM650x, TX550M

EVGA: BQ750W/850W

Thermaltake: TOUGHPOWER 750W RGB, SMART 750/850W

CoolerMaster: V650

Riotoro: Enigma 850W

The Cooler Master V650 is IMO the best from all of the ones you posted.

If possible, get that.

If not, the Onyx.

As you can see the price are all over the place and comparing with the list the best one ~500W seems to be the EVGA GD550W. And im not sure but that CoolerMaster V650 is the V series in the tier1 list?

Yeah, that's the V-Series and its a good unit.

The EVGA units I don't like because you get better stuff from other manufacturers.

So there really are two choices:
Riotoro Onyx

Cooler Master V650

With the V650 the preferred one.

30 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its the highest efficiency of those, thus a bit more expensive.

Except for that, I'd say that there isn't much difference between the units except for Efficiency...

Though would the efficiency worth the price? my pc is almost 24/7.. 

27 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, because people believe its a good PSU because its Seasonic. And Seasonic has to be good, so your S12II is good. Even though it fails at protection tests, is really loud at medium loads (my 550W Chieftec SFX PSU Is far quieter) and its totally overpriced...

That sucks. There isn't much choice.

The Seasonics you listed are the same shit you already have, same issues, just higher wattage.

But from the List you posted, the Riotoro Onyx is the best choice by far.

The Cooler Master V650 is IMO the best from all of the ones you posted.

If possible, get that.

If not, the Onyx.

Yeah, that's the V-Series and its a good unit.

The EVGA units I don't like because you get better stuff from other manufacturers.

So there really are two choices:
Riotoro Onyx

Cooler Master V650

With the V650 the preferred one.

thanks so much, i will check on those.

And theres other option is to buy it online internacional but i have to check the impot tax which is quite high like ~20% for pc parts :( plus shipping. (just move to this country so im not sure).

57 minutes ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

Though would the efficiency worth the price? my pc is almost 24/7.. 

It depends.

Usually its not, especially if we talk about lower loads.

But its like 20-30€ or so from Gold to Platinum, just for the efficiency.

Though it has to be said that the Silverstone Strider Platinum is very different from the Gold one.

29 minutes ago, Intekss said:

thanks so much, i will check on those.

And theres other option is to buy it online internacional but i have to check the impot tax which is quite high like ~20% for pc parts :( plus shipping. (just move to this country so im not sure).

Yeah and than there is the Issue with Warranty or what happens when the Component arrives dead at your door.

Plus the cost of shipping (here in Europe its like 2,5 times the inland shipping).

But there were 2 nice options it seems, though a bit pricey...

26 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah and than there is the Issue with Warranty or what happens when the Component arrives dead at your door.

Plus the cost of shipping (here in Europe its like 2,5 times the inland shipping).

Well, just found a courier service show that, for example the Whisper M 550W 80$ on amazon plus 60$ import tax and shipping

Also i checked the Riotoro Builder 500w review on the jonnyguru.com seem like a fine unit.

(Don't know PSU stuff so i just jump to conclusion)

It depends.

Usually its not, especially if we talk about lower loads.

But its like 20-30€ or so from Gold to Platinum, just for the efficiency.

Though it has to be said that the Silverstone Strider Platinum is very different from the Gold one.

Hmm.. Feel like maybe people should start compiling a new tier list haha.. 

Alright! I'll ask about the Strider Platinum.. Maybe I'm way too into the tier list haha.. Was like must get tier 1 only tbh lol.. How different are the gold and platinum tho? 

Are there any other psu that I should look into other than Strider Platinum? Or are there any better psu(from the brands I listed) than this? I don't mind spending a bit more since psu can last quite long.. Haha.. 

So to put it simply, if I'm not oc-ing, 650w is more than enough. If I'm oc-ing, it's still enough as well? Just worried a bit.. Haha.. 

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Condolences.

What are your options?

450 or 550W Versions.

+1 on this other than reccomending the Formula

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

What is the tier of this power supply:

Sentey Steelpower 550 watts 80 plus white semimodular.

Sentey Steel Power.jpg

11 minutes ago, Santiago.G said:

Sentey Steel Power.jpg

Can't seem to find a review for it, and the assumption is bomb until proven otherwise

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, Santiago.G said:

Based on the efficiency rating and reviews of other similar models, I would guess towards the low-end (tier 6/7 or worse). 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS